Wifi not showing so I could'nt connect with wifi

I don't really understand how to read the Analyzer
but info i got for my connected WIFI -47dBm CH1 2412 Mhz ~2.2m
65Mbps then ip address

PC speedtest, Ping 7ms, DL 17,84Mbps Upload 7,35Mbps
Phone Speedtest Ping 6ms DL 16.23Mbps

Fortunately for you, you are speaking with somebody who has basic network training, so I do.

-47DBM is an excellent signal! This means that your signal is in the GREEN, which is great news for you, because it means that your WIFI router is in good shape.

65MBPS is also an good link speed, 135 would be better, but thats limited to hardware SPEC, which suggests, you are getting all of which your WIFI router can provide in WIFI mode, or at least, within the capacities of the WIFI receiver within the phone.

It looks like you don't have a fast internet connection though, its showing only 17MBPS for the PC and 16MBPS to your phone. May I ask, what are the speeds that you are supposed to be getting from your provider?

You can go ahead and try a different WIFI dongle if you'd like. If it were me, I would personally be buying this for a replacement. Its rated for Linux use, and gets and IT Network Admins approval!

Wireless USB WiFi Adapter

I signed up with a 20Mbps connection. Well that result also shocked me since it was usually much lower, but then i usually test the speed when i felt the download to be crawling or lagging bad during online game. Maybe it is also because it was morning when i tested before where the speed is optimal. At night, when I tested when i felt something wrong with the connection, it was usually around 1-3Mbps top with below 1Mbps for upload. Different result from phone as it seems to still gain 10Mbps average during testing times.

So I think you are right, I might need to replace my Adapter. Thank you!

1 Like

Then you have the correct speed when your on 20 mbits. There is a math to check how much mb's you get when you have a contract with 20 mbits. The magic number is 6.

20mbit:6= 2,5 mb download speed

I switched a month or 2 from internet as well. I got 50mbit so i thought i can download at max with 50mb. I was wrong, mine spikes between 8-10 mb. So i googled for answers and found out the math

50:6=8,3 mb download speed

Now i did some speedtests and i get more from my provider. I signed for 50 and i get 70.

1 Like

Hi Star Trekker, I'm a Linux noob and I just installed Zorin. I too am having trouble with no wifi options in my networking menu. I do have an ethernet connection. Here are my screenshots. Can you help?

sudo apt install build-essential git dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelebek333/kablosuz

sudo apt update && sudo apt install rtl8188fu-dkms

sudo reboot

4 Likes

Hi Aravisian, Is this a reply to my post regarding wifi?

1 Like

Yes, it is.

Please open a terminal with the keyboard shortcut ctrl+at+t
Then copy the lines I posted above, one at a time, into the terminal hitting the enter key after each pasting.
If you see an errors in the terminal, please stop and relay those results here.

1 Like

I got this far, and yes secure boot is enabled. What should I do from here?

Are you dual booting Windows?

No, not that I know of lol.

Then you really should Disable Secure Boot, first. Secure Boot may be helpful on Windows, but is useless on Linux and it can cause problems.

1 Like

Ok. How do I go about doing that?

You must shut down the computer, then boot into your BIOS / EFI Settings on the Motherboard (not the OS) and navigate to the Security tab, I believe. It varies a bit from one computer manufacturer to another. Look for "Secure Boot" and there should be an option of "enabled" that you can hit enter key on and change to disabled. Then boot normally back into Zorin and pick up where we left off: Adding the Repository above.

1 Like

It worked! I am now using wifi. Thank you so much for your time and patience. You were very helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Tell all your friends.

"That Aravisian guy... He's just the Bees Knees..."

7 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Will do!

3 Likes

A Bees Knees (or Bee's Knees) is a Cocktail made with Gin, fresh Lemon_juice, and Honey. It is served shaken and chilled, often with a Lemon_twist.

The name comes from prohibition-era slang meaning "the best".

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Fresh install Zorin OS 16 no Wifi

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.