Getting WWAN 413c:81b6 to work

As far as I understand this fix, i'd need to edit a driver and recompile the kernal? Thats a bit too far out of my comfort zone. Also this post is 4 years old, i'd assume the change would have already made it into the release of my version of ZorinOS?
Hope i am not making a fool out of myself, but as i said, i am kind of new to this whole thing...

We need a second opinion.
Hopefully @Aravisian will be coming back here soon.

1 Like

The first link does not require messing with the kernel.
It's pretty straightforward - a series of configuration steps. But since I do not have this device, I cannot test it to see if it works.

1 Like

You mean the Solution with the AT commands? Yeah, i tried that, step by step, see this post, didn't work for me :frowning:
Whenever i send to command AT!CUSTOM="FASTENUMEN",0i get the nessesery OK back, but when i check back with AT!CUSTOM?, it was not actually set.

USBSERIALENABLE	0x01
             SINGLEAPNSWITCH	0x01

Are the only settings that changed.

1 Like

Ok...

I am not very sure on this...
I could not find much available data. But... I got into one of my Bonehead Stubborn modes...
And began sifting through the drivers in the 5.11 kernel and the 5.8 kernel.
I could Be Wrong
But it looks like the 5.8 modules extra contains drivers that should allow this to work while the 5.11 does not.

It's harmless to try and worth trying so...

Let's rock.

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

Once installed, reboot. begin tapping the esc key as you reach the Grub Menu to see Advanced Options for Zorin
Select that and then arrow key to the 5.8 kernel and select to boot from that.
Then test... If it works, we can set your machine to not auto-upgrade to the later 5.11 kernel.
If it does not work, your next reboot will put you back on the 5.11 kernel and we can remove the 5.8.

1 Like

Managed to install and boot into the mentioned kernal, unfortunatly still no success :frowning:

First i made sure I actually booted into the right kernal:

daniel@daniel-Latitude-7370:~$ uname -r
5.8.0-63-generic

Then i tried to connect as per usual

daniel@daniel-Latitude-7370:~$ nmcli c up Vodafone\ Default
Error: Connection activation failed: Network registration timed out
Hint: use 'journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=0040cbac-32cd-4925-b30a-b1b7aab851cc + NM_DEVICE=cdc-wdm6' to get more details.

Didn't work, the log shows the same problem as before:

Nov 19 11:25:20 daniel-Latitude-7370 NetworkManager[962]: <info>  [1637317520.8442] device (cdc-wdm6): Activation: starting connection 'Vodafone Default' (0040cbac-32cd-4925-b30a-b1b7aab851cc)
Nov 19 11:25:20 daniel-Latitude-7370 NetworkManager[962]: <info>  [1637317520.8444] device (cdc-wdm6): state change: disconnected -> prepare (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Nov 19 11:26:21 daniel-Latitude-7370 NetworkManager[962]: <warn>  [1637317581.3240] modem-broadband[cdc-wdm6]: failed to connect modem: Network timeout
Nov 19 11:26:21 daniel-Latitude-7370 NetworkManager[962]: <info>  [1637317581.3241] device (cdc-wdm6): state change: prepare -> failed (reason 'gsm-registration-timeout', sys-iface-state: 'managed')
Nov 19 11:26:21 daniel-Latitude-7370 NetworkManager[962]: <warn>  [1637317581.3319] device (cdc-wdm6): Activation: failed for connection 'Vodafone Default'
Nov 19 11:26:21 daniel-Latitude-7370 NetworkManager[962]: <info>  [1637317581.3341] device (cdc-wdm6): state change: failed -> disconnected (reason 'none', sys-iface-state: 'managed')

For good measure i tried to connect using mmcli, also unchanged behaviour:

daniel@daniel-Latitude-7370:~$ sudo  mmcli -m 0 --simple-connect="apn=web.vodafone.de" -v
[sudo] password for daniel:          
[19 Nov 2021, 11:29:53] [Debug] Forcing request to be run asynchronously
[19 Nov 2021, 11:29:53] [Debug] Assuming '0' is the modem index
[19 Nov 2021, 11:29:53] [Debug] ModemManager process found at ':1.16'
[19 Nov 2021, 11:29:53] [Debug] Modem found at '/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0'

[19 Nov 2021, 11:29:53] [Debug] Asynchronously connecting the modem...
error: couldn't connect the modem: 'Timeout was reached'

1 Like

Here is my USB 4G modem.
I only use it when I am at a summer cottage of my mother-in-law where no internet exists.
I use it with a USB extension which has come with an old Logitech mouse.
I have never experienced a single accident with this configulation.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint, but thats really not a viable solution for me. This is a Laptop i am taking basically everywhere and i don't want to carry or use a USB Dongle. It really HAS to be completely internal.

1 Like

I just double-checked and everything shows that the support should be in that kernel.
What is the output of sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Also
sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

Honestly, i've given up on that Modem now. Just went out and bought a used one form German "craigslist" for 20€ and installed it. Worked right out of the box.

I am willing to put the other one back in if you want to try and get it to work with me for the sake of the community, but i personally am done with it :smiley:

1 Like

meh... If anyone needs to get that thing working, we will just cross that bridge when we come to it. I think you've suffered enough.

1 Like

If 20 Euro can spare you from a headache, it is the best solution.

From my system integration experience since 1990's, I found the hardware solution is way simpler than the software solution. (That explains why I now own a huge collection of network cards and USB dongles).

And remember, there are some hardware which never work with Linux since majority of them were only tested with Windows.

2 Likes

Still very thankful for your support! :slight_smile: Now i'll try to put the rouge Wifi Card in my Company laptop thats running windows 10, lets see if that works :smiley:

1 Like

That will make it feel right at home, since its biassed and loves Windows. Well, Windows can keep it, nobody liked it anyway. :angry:

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I completely agree, i got sick of windows 10 when they started to harass me because i am not interested in using a Microsoft account to log into my own local computer, that's how i got into Zorin OS. I bought the Pro version because i think it is really beautiful and functional OS and wanted to support development.
But i have to admit, that in windows 10 the pesky modem worked right out of the box, i just installed it in my Company Laptop. Oh well, i can use a 4G Modem in there just as well, so nothing is lost :slight_smile:

1 Like

@dani203

I just wanted to welcome you to Zorin OS 16. And, I also want to thank you for buying PRO and supporting the devs, you are positively stellar :star2:

I also agree. First, why must we all have an Microsoft account just to use an operating system, what the heck? :roll_eyes:

Then, they force everything on you, their software, their updates, their way. It's all about them, and not about you.

Linux is a far better way. It's easier to use, safer to use, and funner to use. In the Mandalorian creed... This is the way.

2 Likes

Actually there is a way to avoid it and use Win10 with a local account only.

I also use Win10 but I never log in to my MS account.

Its not about not being able to use a local account, anything is possible, and i WAS on a local account. But with every ~10th or so boot i got a Fullscreen message from the OS about Microsoft wanting to "get more out of windows 10"

No, i don't WANT to login to your stupid account, i don't want to subscribe to a software that i already BOUGHT! I don't WANT to upload MY files to your stupid cloud!
Only option is "Skip for now". Any effort to get rid of this on my side was not successful. And i am sure there is a way to get rid of it once and for all, but i don't want to use and support an OS that to throws rocks in front of my feet and then tries tries to get me to pay with my money or data to clean up so i can continue my day.
I am very happy to support an Open Source system now.

Thanks for the warm welcome, i have no regrets, it was a bit of a bumpy ride with the Modem, but it was also fun, also despite the LTE Module, setup was absolutely hassle free and an absolute dream!

2 Likes

I think I only saw it at the installation time.
I wonder if MS does this only where they have no danger of getting sued :skull:

Well, you are not the only one suffering.
Quick search at Google found whooping
1,020,000,000 results.
how to disable get even more out of windows on windows 10

1 Like

Which reminds me of that Clippy :paperclip:
The number one question people asked was:
how can I delete you :skull:

2 Likes