Gnome Keyboard

Just went back to try some stuff on Gnome 17 pro and remembered why I can't use Gnome DE .... my USB keyboard won't work ... it mixes numbers and letter together depending on which key you press .... ex. Y becomes 5 and so on ... some keys work and some don't .....

Enter Cinnamon ...... see photo below for various keyboard settings which allow Cinnamon to use different keyboards ....

Wanted to try out the different flavors of Zorin 17 Pro but Gnome keyboard is a no go for me along with the fact my Layout feature for my desktop choices is blank .... no choices .... nada ....

May seem like a dumb question here but have you tried plugging in another USB keyboard you have on hand? Or maybe there's a specific hardware driver you need.

I am on Apple hardware and I have had success with ONN wireless USB, Apple USB mini keyboard, and a DELL usb extended.

1 Like

There are no dumb question ..... yes I have another keyboard a full size one ..... and the laptop I'm using has a keyboard but I have to have the laptop a minimum of 12 in from my pacemaker so I keep it about 16-18 in just to be sure .....

This mini USB keyboard I'm using worked fine on 16 Pro but when I upgraded to 17 Pro it seems to have lost it's mind .... however when I use 17 pro with Cinnamon desktop it works just fine ..... I got it for Christmas and up until a few days ago it also worked on Gnome keyboard but on 17 Pro it doesn't

But in all fairness my Gnome desktop was all screwed up anyway .... I thought with the upgrade to 17 Pro from 16 Pro it would straighten out but I got fooled ..... only problem is the sound of screenshot using Cinnamon ....

But I can learn to live with it ..... cause I really have no choice .... LOL

My first Ubuntu 20.04 install got sideways after some messin' around in the terminal - I was able to copy the home directory to external SSD and then do a completely new format/install to fix it.

1 Like

Do you have a NumLock key anywhere? That sounds like my other laptop with some number keys on the keyboard apart from the top number row. One older MacBook I had was doing that too, turned out to be the keyboard format / layout settings.

Since it's USB, do you have libusb-dev installed? I've solved some weird USB stuff with that package. In your screenshot I see 'layout of numeric pad' - have you poked around to see if there's anything there?

3 Likes

Hi Frog,

Plug the mini keyboard into the machine, and if you can access your laptop keyboard with a small backscratcher(!) (long thin screwdriver) to tap the keyboards window key to open the menu then tap the keys to type terminal in menu search box and once a terminal is open, tap lsusb into the terminal then press the Enter key and post back the results if poss.

1 Like

Unbelievable ..... that is exactly what happened for some reason my number lock was on ..... see sample below ....

A quick red fox jumps over the lazy brown dog .....

A q45c2 red f6x 140-s 6ver the 3azy br6wn d6g ......

Thanks PlumpKibbles

2 Likes

Thanks for you reply .... I didn't get to try it as my my number lock was on ....

It seems I found the culprit .... whenever I close Gnome when I restart it the keyboard automatically changes my number lock back to on .....

1 Like

No worries! :sunglasses:

I found this: Disable Numlock - Ask Ubuntu - Couple of things to check out; not sure which would be best for your outcome though.

2 Likes

I did wonder ... :wink:

1 Like

Same here, but thought too obvious.
We see this [Num Lock] issue from time to time. I was unable to see a keyboard with embedded numeric keys on alpha keys when searching the www, so was not sure which numbers were associated with which letter. Glad it was a simple fix for Frog.

EDIT: In case this comes up again. Here is a link on the subject showing a keyboard with letters/numbers switched by [Num Lock]:
https://www.howtogeek.com/661463/how-to-fix-your-keyboard-typing-numbers-instead-of-letters/

2 Likes

I did try the Tweaks suggestion but it didn't show the same paths that I have on mine version of tweaks but I did try and change some of the settings even thought everything that had to do with numbers was already turned off ....

Will try the other suggestion later on today .....

1 Like

Thanks zab .... the strangest thing is that it doesn't do it on the Cinnamon DE just Gnome .... it appears that the light on my number lock comes on just after I log in but on Cinnamon it comes on but then when Cinnamon comes on it goes off ....

Thank god that the lock does have a light I just never paid attention to it before but it is rather tiny and not on a key but at the top of the keyboard .... there is also a sound when you manually press it but it didn't do that when it comes on by itself .....

If I can't find a solution to solve it automatically at least I can shut it off when I see it on or when I can't type correctly ....

Got one more suggestion to try given by PlumpKibbles above let's see how that will work .....

Cinnamon Settings includes a toggle for the Numlock key. It is probably off, whereas Gnome defaults to it on.

2 Likes