God I hate to ask this worst than going to the dentist

OK this maybe silly to some but I have gone as long as I can without (hands shaking) google earth pro .... there I said it .... my reason is that I check out lots of realtor offerings and location is critical .... you know their slogan location ... location .... location .... I send probably 2-3 hours looking at various listings from different websites .... no I don't buy or sell I just look ....

Anyway what I would like is to copy my app from Win along with my home search saves and load them to Zorin .... will that work .... I would really rather not have to download a fresh install as I think I will have to log in to google and I don't want to do that .... as I closed out all my accounts and don't want to open a new one ...

Can it be done ???? .... Thanks for any help

2 Likes

The only way I can think of (Which has a low chance of working) would be to install Wine 6.0
Then transfer over the x86Program data and all your personal data into the Virtual C drive in the ~/.wine directory.
It sounds tedious and problem-ready.

The only other option, which you also won't like... Is to install Google Earth on Zorin OS 16:

wget -O ~/google-earth.deb https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/current/google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Then move your personal listings into its data folder. But I cannot be helpful on that as I have never installed nor used the application in any way whatsoever.

3 Likes

Frog, if it matters at all. I vote for this option, install Google Earth on Zorin OS. It really isn't the end of the world, a lot of people do it. Its the reason why Linux often supports connected to accounts like Google for example.

Frog, you will never hear me yell at you for wanting to utilize a Google service you depend on, so no worries there. The only time I am going to yell at you, is if you tell me your going back to Windows. If I hear that, you get to enjoy being added to my ignore list LOL!

Frog, I don't think your going back to Windows anytime soon, so you don't have anything to be worried about. Install Google Earth and be done with it buddy. :blush:

Startreker

3 Likes

Hummmmm .... sudo dpkg -i *.deb .... says ..... dpkg: error: dpkg frontend lock is locked by another process

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ wget -O ~/google-earth.deb https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/current/google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
--2021-11-09 07:06:30-- https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/current/google-earth-pro-stable_current_amd64.deb
Resolving dl.google.com (dl.google.com)... 172.217.25.14, 2404:6800:4005:802::200e
Connecting to dl.google.com (dl.google.com)|172.217.25.14|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 55716868 (53M) [application/x-debian-package]
Saving to: ‘/home/mike/google-earth.deb’

/home/mike/google-e 100%[==================>] 53.14M 1.72MB/s in 32s

2021-11-09 07:07:03 (1.65 MB/s) - ‘/home/mike/google-earth.deb’ saved [55716868/55716868]

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
[sudo] password for mike:
dpkg: error: dpkg frontend lock is locked by another process
mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$

Did you have Software store, Synaptic or another terminal open at the time?

1 Like

I think Software was updating at this time .... is that a no no .... I suspect it is

1 Like

Only one thing can access APT at a time.

1 Like

OK thank you I didn't know that .... I will reinstall your info from above .... the updater is still downloading ... guess I better take a nap .... LOL .... mostly NVIDIA stuff only 1 Zorin file ... ho hum

1 Like

I can confirm what Aravisian said about package manager's from my own experience!

You will notice this if you have Software Store open, installing, and then you try to run Synaptic Package Manager, or you try to run APT installs through Terminal. The system will stop you lol.

Why? Cause only one package manager can be run at a time. I know, thats kind of weird isn't it? I figure it is some anti-spam feature who knows. Anyways, CONFIRMED.

:grin:

1 Like

OK that was the ticket ... and I learned a good lesson .... "Only one thing can access APT at a time" .... anyway it worked just fine but I haven't opened GEP yet ... but at least it is downloaded .... LOL

mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
[sudo] password for mike:
Selecting previously unselected package google-earth-pro-stable.
(Reading database ... 335387 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack google-earth.deb ...
Unpacking google-earth-pro-stable (7.3.4.8248-r0) ...
Setting up google-earth-pro-stable (7.3.4.8248-r0) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) ...
mike@mike-ROG-Strix-G731GT-G731GT:~$

1 Like

OK .... new development in google earth pro .... got it installed OK and moved the My Places files over into the app folder .... fired it up and everything looked great ... didn't have to sign in to google or anything .... even with the totally new install ... played around with it and all was good in the world ....

THEN ...

I shut down the program and my WiFi disappeared .... I mean like vanished .... went to the settings panel and no WiFi was to be found .... so I signed out of Zorin and back in again and WiFi was back .... not sure just what happened ...

Just now I was playing solitaire while waiting for the Mrs to get back with my lunch .... shut off the game and ate lunch and sure enough my WiFi was gone again .... this is to weird .... so I shut down .... started back up and wala the WiFi ws back ...

Now this isn't something to loose sleep over as I don't need to rely on either program to enjoy Zorin but if someone has seen this before and has a solution just leave a comment .... in the mean time I'm gonna play around with it again especially google earth the other one no big deal .....

Gonna call it a day ... see you good folks tomorrow .... over & out

Are you saying that the wifi only goes down when google-earth is running?

Yes sir I have tried all different settings in google-earth and nothing works .... the mileage differs from 1 to 5 mins. and even if you start it up and shut it back down .... it kills my net connection ... and I have to restart Zorin ....

This is a strange one. I looked it up and apparently, it is a common problem. some say that allowing Port 80 to be open resolves it...

OK thank you sir .... not so sure I want Port 80 to be opened .... big security risk as I am using a mechanical firewall and I don't want to allow info to come and go using port 80 ....

Well guess google earth is out for now ....

I am working on another angle to use a website that I used in doze but it doesn't like my IP address (as do other sites) as I think I explained before .... so I reinstalled Proton VPN and I will see if that will work .... if it does I'm OK as I can turn the VPN on only when I want to use it ... I'll let you know ...

Can google-earth be run in Offline mode?

1 Like

Not sure just what Offline mode is or how to use it ...

The other method I mentioned above works fantastic but it is only locked to one borough or county .... but it still very good .... here is a photo .... you can zoom down really close .... closer than google with out the street view ....

My god when it rains it pours .... I'm back on doze ... when I turned off Proton VPN it shut down my WiFi ... so I restarted Zorin and still no internet in fact the icon changed from the normal one showing the internet connection to something like 2 computer tied together .... going to close doze down and attempt to reconnect to Zorin net .... if not I'll be back here again .... keep your fingers crossed ...

OK back on doze .... connection is really messed up .... old icon is back everything looks connected except I had two versions on my router with the same name except one was 1 after the name and the other plain .... so I deleted the one with the with the (1) ... connection is really slow .... connected to the board but couldn't choose any posts from the right hand side drop down menu ... I show that Aravisian made a post but I could open it ...

So I don't know what is going on ... Proton seems to have finally shut down ....

Going to get a bite to eat and take a deep breath .... I think when I get back the first thing I'm going to do is delete both google earth and proton VPN .... if I need to I will use dozes to use these programs ... see ya in a bit ...

Well ok enough for today .... see ya all tomorrow from Frog on windoze .... :sob: :sob: :sob: