Grub installation crash

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --bootloader-id="Void Linux [GRUB]" --no-nvram /dev/sda2

That would be the terminal command to use Grub-Install to install grub onto the drive partition pictured in your screenshot above.

If I try that, I get this error.

What about

sudo apt install grub-efi

That message means that in LiveZorin, the source for installing is currently from the USB packages.
Are you able to connect to the Internet in Live Zorin?

Im connected

This may seem silly... But

sudo apt update

sudo apt install grub-efi

Already finished, i reboot?

I just found out that you can see the process

Sorry was called away for work.
Where does your installation stand at this time?

Crashed or what do you mean?

I think the problem is the path, since it installs it in dev / sda, but it shows me that only dev / sda1 and dev / sda2 exist

/dev/sda is the Drive.
/dev/sda1 and sda2 are partitions on the drive.

I take it from the above response that the installer still is crashing and installing the rest was a no-go?
Usually, if the installer crashes at Grub Install, you can just do the grub-repair after. I have never once seen grub-repair fail.

So there is no solution?

1 Like

It could be something simple that will make us facepalm when we realize. But for the moment, I am stumped.

Can you walk me through what procedure you took when you installed?
Did you choose "Something else" or "Install Zorin alongside" or "Erase disk and install..."?

Erase Diks and Install.

This had already happened to me with Mxlinux and Debian. The problem is the grub since this model had an agreement with Windows or something like that and has the NVRAM blocked in read-only, but in Zorin I don't know how to remove it

1 Like

Ok...i think I've found something that may work for you. Make sure to install your os to sda2 (root, home and swap) leave sda1 alone until you are performing the uefi part of the following solution in this thread:

Forgive me if you already tried this.

To answer one of your previous questions, zorin is based on Ubuntu so many of the solutions for Ubuntu also work for zorin.

2 Likes

You were typing as I was - we both were researching. :smiley:
I also found this little gem:

Which has some good step by step instructions, too.

DonAjolote's point about NVRAM is the much needed clue to the puzzle.

2 Likes

Thanks for finding this.
Exactly what I have discovered:

The Acer Insyde H2O BIOS is broken, so as soon as it runs efibootmgr to create a boot entry,

Now if only my husband let me touch his "score reader (Acer Switch 3)"....