Grub installation crash

That is interesting. My other OS is MXLinux and I've never experienced any performance issue.

Are you installing Zorin OS 15 or Zorin OS 16 beta?

From booted into the Live Zorin USB, can you open gparted

sudo gparted

And check if your EFI partition is in place?

Zorin 15 - I can tell from the screenshot.

The problem was that a Core was always 100%.

Well the solution they gave me was this, I don't know if it can be "translated" to Zorin.
Grub crash and No bootable device - MX Linux Forum.

Sadly, it does not translate to Zorin, as the installer MXLinux uses is different from the Ubiquity installer Zorin OS uses.
However, I posted a guide earlier today about creating an EFI partition.
If you boot into Live Zorin and create an EFI partition, then boot into Live Zorin, Install Zorin again, it has a good chance of working.
This guide here, however, may be easier to follow:

Scroll down to Live USB/DVD/ISO in UEFI Mode
Since you are not using VMWare, stop at Select UEFI boot in VMWare workstation

1 Like

MXLinux uses that much CPU?
I am surprised.
@Aravisian Have you ever experienced such high usage of CPU in MX?

Yes... actually... It was why I switched to Zorin Lite.

Ah OK.
I have to ask my husband. Or better yet, I will sneak up to his machine to test it out myself. He will be away for a concert tour from tomorrow :wink:

1 Like

Yes, this was back when I was very New to Linux and was using my first linux distro: Zorin Core. I was really struggling with it and got to the point of Distro-hopping. There's a thread on it on the old ZorinGroup Forum.
I went through a ton of them and MXLinux was the Top Contender. The only problem was the High CPU usage and CPU spikes.

I was trying to get away from Zorin OS since my experience on Core (Gnome) was so trying. But then, just because... I decided to try Zorin Os LITE... and my whole Universe changed.
All my Machines now use Zorin Lite. And this Zorin 16 Beta Build is using XFCE or Cinnamon.

I have the partition

1 Like

Ok, now, you can click that partition that says /mnt/zorin...
Click the (-) button to delete it.
Then click the Unallocated 465GiB space that appears in its place to select it and then click the (+) add button to add it - it will ask if you want it formated - format to ext4. That should complete Quickly.
Once that is done, close gparted.
Double click the Install Zorin Icon on the desktop and cross all your fingers and toes...
IF it crashes - just reboot and boot into the Installer and try again - That may be because the computer motherboard needed to reboot to see that new EFI partition. It usually does not need to.

It doesnt let me delete the partition

Ok close gparted
Open the Install Zorin App from the desktop.

When you get to the screen that says, "What do you want to do?"
It lists:

1. )Install Zorin Alongside...
  2. ) Clean Install..

Let's try the Clean Install that wipes the drive, first.
If no-go there, when back to that screen, choose "Something Else" and use the Partition manager in that window to delete and reformat the partition.

It tells me "A root filesystem was not defined"

At what point did it say this?
Can you post a picture again?

Some sort of guide to installation is required, plus how to inhibit various UEFI, safe start features (difficult as it varies between machines) and how to set up the recipient HDD, SSD etc, etc.Perhaps it already exists, but where?

1 Like

I solved that but it still crashes, I was investigating and it is the ram or something like that, I have to put nvram but it was not very clear

1 Like

Are you looking for this?

1 Like

Do you have a source for that?

Right now I'm looking at any forum

1 Like