Guess I need some help with installing a desktop

OK I changed the shortcut keys and it worked .... what's next ... LOL

1 Like

If you see the prompt for "Do you want to save the current configuration? y/n" hit the y key.
Then hit enter to accept the file it is saving it to (which is the original file, so no need to change it.)
The terminal will revert to normal appearance.
Then you must run

sudo update-grub

1 Like

mike@mike-rog-strix-g731gt:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for mike:
Sourcing file /etc/default/grub' Sourcing file /etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-37-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-37-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.11.0-27-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-27-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-41-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-41-generic
Found Windows Boot Manager on /dev/nvme0n1p1@/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings
done
mike@mike-rog-strix-g731gt:~$

1 Like

You must restart. Then test if logging into Gnome works just fine.
If it does, then log into Cinnamon for yet another whirlwind adventure...

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: OK will do ...

1 Like

Well I have some bad news to report ... I'm back on Win ... when I rebooted Zorin I waited for almost a half hour but it never booted up ... never got to the log in screen ... :sob: :sob:

Well, it was a whirlwind something.

Boot into Zorin but this time, enter recovery menu just as you did before
OR
hit either tab or e at the Boot screen OR enter the editor mode.

1. ) If you opt for Recoery Menu, then Drop to Prompt and then type in sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    Edit to remove the noacpi and nomodeset parameters to leave it just at "quiet splash" and then Ctrl+x, y, enter...
    Then You Must run

sudo update-grub

again for it to take affect.

1. ) if you opted for the Editor Mode; scan through the screen until you see "quiet splash noacpi nomodeset" and make that just "quiet splash" and then continue to boot. If you do this method, once logged in, you will need to edit Grub again, just as above and then update-grub again, just as above.

And... I will look into why your cinnamon keeps going into fallback mode.

1 Like

OK but this sounds like a job for Tomorrow Man ... LOL ... gonna sleep on it ... that recovery menu is not by any chance the Bios Menu ... ????

No, it is the Grub menu.

1 Like

OK guess it will be back to pounding keys ... never did wok the first time ... OK thanks I'll see you tomorrow ... I think better in the morning ... LOL

OK new day new idea ... after spending a night of soul searching I come to the conclusion it is time to put my big boy pants on and bite the bullet ... reinstall Zorin Pro ....

Two things made me come to this conclusion ....

1. I don't think I have my HD set up right and after reading several posts here on the board you can't move partitions with out a lot of problems ... I will show my drives in a photo further down ...

2. Apparently I have done something or downloaded something to my Zorin install that has completely screwed up the ability to install Cinnamon ... as I am the only one that seems to have had this problem a fresh install may solve that ...

As stupid me didn't make a back up of my files (I know how to do that in Win but not Zorin) I will have to reinstall everything but that could be a good thing because us old people need to sometimes do repetitions to learn ... LOL

Picture of my HD ... drive 0 is where I have Zorin installed and a 1TB enternal drive ...

Drive 1 is my Win system disk and is a enternal SSD ...

Drive 2 is a 1TB passport external drive for Win pictures ... videos ... games etc. ...

If my 0 drive is partitioned right I would like to know what size to increase my partitions to ... I'm sure I won't run out of space with 1TB ...

Bump Bump

1 Like

Thanks I read that and also printed out a copy ... I'll just format my 0 drive and go for it ... hopefully it will work out ... see ya

1 Like
3 Likes

OK back on with a spanking new Zorin 16 Pro ... had to figure out a few things about 337harvey's installing Zorin but thank god I downloaded it and typed it so I had a hard copy .... great job 337harvey ... only had a few things I wasn't sure of but it all worked out in the end ... I hope .... as soon as I get GParted reinstalled (not in the software section) I make a screen shot of my HD ...

Do have Vivaldi reinstalled so I have internet access ... no to find some of my other programs like Gnome Tweeks (also not in the software section) ....

Got a lot to do still but like eating an elephant it's one bite at a time .... LOL

1 Like

You can get gnome-tweaks and dconf-editor through the terminal. Don't be afraid, this is an easy way to install software you want without the bloat flatpak and snap provide by duplicating dependencies for every package.

Press ctrl + alt + T. This opens the terminal (or type terminal in the app menu).

Once open, type the following:

sudo apt install -y gnome-tweaks dconf-editor

Sudo will ask for your password and is necessary to install software or make system changes.

Apt is the package manager that handles application installs, removals and updates.

Install is telling apt what you intend to do.

-y answers the question of whether you want to install these packages, without stopping at the prompt.

Finally is the two package names that will be installed.

If there is an error, try running each package by itself with the same command. Sometimes this can occur if it is accessing different repositories.

The should be under system or utilities, though i have seen dconf-editor in accessories before.

2 Likes

The above applies for Gnome, but only dconf-editor applies to XFCE.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Marked Solution. 380

1 Like