Hardware decoding not working

Hello. My hardware is a Framework laptop with an Intel i5-1240P.

Brave browser (chromium) shows that hardware video acceleration is not working. intel-media-va-driver is installed. Going off a suggestion on the Arch wiki, I installed and ran vainfo. It outputs the following:

libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_7
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 1
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_6
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so init failed
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

In user-speak: it seems unhappy. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tested with other distributions? I recall a review video where Framework laptop had this sort of issues with Linux so it may very well be the hardware itself. I would suggest asking in their support forums as well.

I considered asking there, but thought that Zorin folks would likely be more knowledgeable about what was likely a software issue.

But if you say it might be hardware, I'll go ahead and ask the hardware people too...

It may very well be a software issue and people here more knowledgeable than me will try to help for sure. But different hardware has their own issues and I remember Framwork had a lot of issues with Linux, so it's worth it to ask in their forums for this specifically. To be fair last I checked on Framework laptop was a while back so these issues I mentioned may have been fixed already.

What year was this laptop manufactured? You may benefit from an older or newer kernel for the firmware, depending on the manufacture date.

It is quite new: manufactured in 2022. Is there a newer firmware version available than what is normally provided?

You can try another kernel, some have found more support for hardware in the newer kernels. I'd stay in the 5.15 kernel family. While 6 may be beneficial, it is problematic because of it being a newer kernel (new bugs) and installing it, if mistakes are made, will destroy your Zorin installation. Remaining in the 5.15 kernels will ensure you don't break Zorin and possibly get the firmware you need.

1 Like

Interestingly, Framework laptop was tested by one of the co-founders of Zorin and reported that it mostly worked well. This was a few months ago so perhaps something has changed since then, but I see there's a link to how to update the BIOS firmware for 12th gen Intel processors on Framework laptop. Maybe it's worth a read:

A BIOS update could help. That would only cover basics though... keyboard, mouse, limited video and drive support. It is the minimum to enable the ability for the computer to boot. This will sometimes help, but most functionality is ensured by the OS in way of drivers.

I upgraded to 5.15.96. It did change the output of vainfo, but seemingly for the worse. Now it just outputs:

libva info: VA-API version 1.7.0
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

I may try 6.0.9, which this person says is stable with Zorin.

1 Like

I think I did look at this before. Following the link, it seems that Framework hasn't yet released a BIOS update for this laptop. The one it comes from the factory with is the most recent.

Be careful. Once you add the one needed library, ensure you remove jammy from the source file. If not, upgrade will break your system.

In all actuality, 6.2 is stable in Zorin.... I'm using it. It's not for everyone though. There are very few benefits for most people.

It may be relevant to report the output of sudo lshw -c video:

*-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Intel Corporation
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: 0c
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 mode=2256x1504 visual=truecolor xres=2256 yres=1504
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:400-3ff irq:157 memory:605c000000-605cffffff memory:4000000000-400fffffff ioport:3000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff memory:4010000000-4016ffffff memory:4020000000-40ffffffff

Notice that rather than reporting an actual GPU, it just says "Intel Corporation."

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.