HDMI picture but no sound

I’m running Zorin Lite 15.3 on an old HP Pavilion, which has SVGA and HDMI output. When I connect to a projector via HDMI, the image output works, but not sound. There’s no HDMI option in the sound menu, even when connected. I’ve tried with two different projectors, with the same result.

I tried the solution offered here but when I try to install Pulse Audio Manager, I get "Package ‘paman’ had no installation candidate’.

The latest versions of ALSA, Pulseaudio and pavucontrol are already installed.

In the terminal, try sudo alsamixer
On the panel that pops up, scroll to the right until you find “automute”. Make sure it is disabled.

Doesn’t help, I’m afraid.

Quick question.

Have you tried another distro via a live USB? If not, I suggest trying both another XFCE distro and another DE like GNOME or KDE.

This way you can isolate the issue to either your hardware or Zorin Lite.

Also, what is the model number of your Pavilion?

I found the solution; it turned out that the volume control had an extra tab off the right hand edge of the window called Configuration, which has the option of selecting HDMI sound output.

3 Likes

I love it when I see a sound problem has a simple and logical solution, rather than calling on the magic wand or a hammer to fix it, as seems more usual. :smile:
This thread has reminded me to test my speakers again - surprisingly they are still working.

I experience this (?) too. I believe it defaults to headphone jack for sound, ignoring nothing is in it and that HDMI is connected.

Is this a detection error?

In my case, it was a setting on a tab that wasn’t immediately visible.

1 Like

I don’t understand how the problem was solved, I have the same one, could you specify how I could solve it?

According to @lolwhites post, if I am not mistaken, he used Settings>Sound>Configuration to choose HDMI sound input.
See:

Oddly enough, I'm having the same problem. I have my sound output set to hdmi. When I press test, I hear nothing. I know this setup works because it is a dual boot with Windows where it does work. Specifically, the solution escapes me because I don't know where the "extra tab off the right hand edge of the window" is. I can't see one in the setup window related to the Output Device configuration.

The only thing I can tell you is to install the input/output sound chooser extension from gnome-extensions. Will allow you to select the audio output source.

Going to bed now, have a goodnight lightbucket

I am experienceing a similar problem whilst not seriouse be nice to have it work correctly, I am using a USB sound adapter as Zorin shares the MoBo with Hackintosh. The sound works just fine when I adjust the settings as shown.
x-special/nautilus-clipboard
copy
file:///home/buff/Pictures/Working.png
Each time i reboot the OS defaults to this whiicj does not work, any ideas to change the default.
copy
file:///home/buff/Pictures/Default%20sound.png

Sorry folks Png will not show up cahnged to gif.
copy
file:///home/buff/Pictures/Working.gif

copy
file:///home/buff/Pictures/Default%20sound.gif

Working

Default sound

1 Like

@zabadabadoo , do you have any ideas on Sound Settings resetting to default on reboot?

I tend to use alsamixer to change sound settings and then save working settings using:

sudo alsactl store

I have no experience of settings being changed on boot, since I have been doing that.
I cannot vouch for changes via pulseaudio settings though.

Note. I am still on Z15.3 and kernel 5.4.... I don't know if Z16 and later kernels behave different, maybe after an update?