How do I access my D Drive for Zorin OS 16 Core?

Dear Carmar:

Enclosed, please see my screen shots.

Under CD/DVD Drive, I clicked the gears button which took me to the only choice of Edit Mount Options. I clicked Edit Mount Options which took me to another window which is technical. Please advise how I should mount cd/dvd drive which linux can detect. Thanks.

I’m stumped.
The same CD can be read on Windows using that optical drive?

Dear Carmar:

You're correct. When I'm on Windows 10, my CD can be read and files can be read with my current internal optical drive. I have no issues playing a DVD movie with Zorin since I have VLC player. Do you know what I can do in order for my CD to be accessed and read with Zorin OS 16 Core? Please advise. Thanks

Sorry, I have to throw in the towel.
My personal experience is that windows may not be able to read data that Linux can but never the other way around.
Maybe someone else on the forum can help. Perhaps @Michel ? If I recall, @zabadabadoo uses dual boot so he may know.
At least we know that it is the CD and not the drive that has issues.

I use dualboot. Have a CD/DVD drive attached to Zorin Core.
While using the Disk utility app I can't reach for the files.

But the system tray icon does show the CD/DVD drive.

Screenshot from 2021-12-22 18-08-15

I also am able to reach the files while opening the standard file manager .

I don't use cd's or dvd's. I can't help sorry.

@swarfendor437 posted something about cd's/dvd's recently -> [HOW TO] How to get Windows Apps / Games working in Zorin OS 16 - #9 by swarfendor437

1 Like

Thanks, Michel. That may work.

@nlow004 , Swarf’s post was about creating a bin/iso image and mounting using CDEmu. That would require you to go back and create the image of the CD on Windows. Not a solution but rather a workaround if you’re interested. I think it should work.

Or you can wait to see what ideas others have.

1 Like

Dear Michel and Carmar:

Thanks for your response. I'll wait for other responses. My primary issue is to access my files in my internal optical drive like in Windows. I like to get out of Windows peranently. I'll post my Issue in General since its not a hardware issue. Have a good day everybody and Merry Christmas!

This image was taken in Zorin 16 Core using Zorin Default DE:

/home/swarfendor437/Pictures/Optical Drive on Desktop after inserting CD.jpg and right-clicking to select "Open in Files":

Then Files shows the root folder of the CD (below the CD is the USB stick):

/home/swarfendor437/Pictures/Viewed in Files before opening to view files.jpg

Then I double clicked on the CD to see what is present:

/home/swarfendor437/Pictures/Files on CD.jpg

In this case some nvidia based files and an nvidia screensaver.

If I had selected 'Open' on right-click I would see the files as above.

Naming of drives is different in Linux and tend to be labeled 'sr0'.

From a directory tree perspective, if you open your Home folder and select 'Other locations' you will see 'Computer' - open this, then go to media, then your username (in my case swarfendor437) and in the right-pane you will see the CD root directory as shown in the picture below:

/home/swarfendor437/Pictures/Screenshot_20211222_224900.jpg

Dear Swarfendor437:

Thank you for your assistance. I'm a bit confused. When I insert my cd disc that contains files, nothing is shown in Disks program in Zorin OS 16 Core under the CD/DVD Drive after I inserted the disc. I see that you have a Disc icon. Can you show me by screenshot step by step how you mounted your internal or external optical drive? Please advise. Thank you very much.

He just answered your question. The cd drive mounts automatically. The files are accessible through /media. You can get there by opening file manager (nautilus) and clicking other locations in the navigation pane of the file manager. Click computer. Click media. Browse the cd. You can use fstab to change this.

Not everyone has time to do a picture tutorial every time a member asks for instructions. We are volunteers, not paid support. The instructions are simple enough, work thorough then.

2 Likes

In ZorinOS 15.3 Core. CD drive is listed in Disks utility when a CD is inserted.
However, to read content you need to use Files utility where I see the CD as "My Disc". Click that and you should see files listed on the CD, also can Open files on the CD.

1 Like

Thank you everybody for your assistance. However, I still can't read the files in my D Drive unlike Windows 10. I was able to read the D Drive yesterday which I went to a website after my disc was in the drive which was temporarily. After I removed the disc and put the disc in again, the drive can't read the files. Merry Christmas Everybody.

Sorry, can you elaborate? I did not understand this sentence.

I’m leaning toward this being a problem with your drive. Please replace the data cable (IDE, SATA, whatever you use) and try again. If you can try with a different optical drive itself then that would also help.

Even though it is working in Win10 - I agree with this.
The DVD / CD optical drive should be accessible in Zorin with No problems. This is a very unusual thing for it not to be.

@nlow004, Ever used one of these?

3 Likes

Hello everybody. Thank you for your assistance. I was able to access my D drive only in Windows 10. However, when I found Ubuntuask link in Google, it gave me these instructions:

1. Open Terminal Window since I'm in Zorin OS.

2. Type ls /dev which displays a list which includes cdrom, cdrw, dvd, or dvdrw I believe. After that, I entered my password.

3. After that, I typed sudo mount /dev/cdrw/mnt/cdrw then I pressed Enter.

4. The DVD/CD Drive in Disks which mount link is attached which I only have 1 chance to view the files in the disc. After I ejected the disc, I can't use the same disc or different disc for about 24 hrs. This is only for the CD disc.

What do you think? Please advise.

These instructions do not make sense to me.

This guide here:

Should serve much better. You can access your files without restriction, whenever and however much you need.

2 Likes

Dear Arvasian:

Thanks for the tutorial. It really helped. However, I can only do this one on my PC because after I enter the commands per your suggestions, the disc was able to be read only once. After I ejected the disc and put the same disc, I can't mount it again or any disc. However, I have to be patient with Liunx. I guess I have to wait about 24 hrs. Please advise. thanks.

It seems this one of a great deal of things I do now know enough about or understand very well.
I will try learning it.