How fast does your Computer Boot up with Zorin?

Wow, that is too long, in a world of SSDs my old Acer Aspire 3 take 20 seconds to boot into Zorin Os 16 Core with a hard drive.

Actually the booting time for my 9 - 10 years old Acer Aspire is much faster.

My main desktop is a so-called server grade and it has to go through much testing before it boots up. Coming from an old school, I feel more comfortable to take time to startup this over-specked monster :wink:

1 Like

The last time I was using Zorin OS, my computer boot into it in 10-seconds. This is actually common for fast computers using SSD drives. But I feel it important to mention that, if using the greatest NVME M.2 drives, like the crazy ones that supposedly do 6000MBPS read, it would probably reduce it to 5-seconds who knows lol.

But its like its already been said in this thread, its not about the speed that it takes to get you there, its about how the computer performs once your in the system that matters. Better living when your computer isn't as slow as a slug and a snail on a side walk. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

If fact, I feel the speed limiting factor exists between monitor and chair. For example, I cannot type as fast as I can think.

1 Like

It depends. When you using example menu start with 5 second. Then waiting for loading all stuff it takes some 60 second or more but it is very funny watching how it loading like a hackintosh or apple operative system. I remember Mint was faster but it could change long time don't tried him.

2 Likes

22 posts were split to a new topic: Old tech vs. New tech

17 seconds on a quad core i5 x230 lenovo.

1 Like

About 50 seconds on my laptop with a hardrive and 30 seconds on a desktop which boots from a sd card

1 Like

On my Zorin 15.3 my boot load time usually take 30 seconds or not less than 25 seconds. I don't know for the 16 version coz I'm waiting for the direct upgrade. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Startup finished in 2.996s (firmware) + 6.009s (loader) + 2.483s (kernel) + 11.896s (userspace) = 23.385s
graphical.target reached after 11.858s in userspace

Sata 3 SSD, 6th gen Pentium, 4gb ddr4 ram

3 Likes

WOW, your post was surprisingly quite scientific with your attention to detail. Quite informative, good job!

1 Like

Wold you mind to tell us which software you used to get those figures?
I was so impressed.

2 Likes

systemd-analyze

2 Likes

Mine is
startup finished in 5.736s (kernel) + 54.470s (userspace) = 1min 206ms
graphical.target reached after 54.383s in userspace it took 1 minute to boot. Its still decent cuz the laptop is old and slow.

I am not count how fast boot but Zorin is very fast to response anything what you want open or anything what can save time when you lost when Zorin started. :grinning: :grinning:

i installed zorin on ssd and this is my systemd-blame. it'so fast that i'm not aware about boot time beside the choosing screen because of dual boot with windows

1 Like

I forgot about this thread. Now that I am running Zorin OS 16 on this old dual core workstation, its time to provide my systemd-analyze.

Startup finished in 8.114s (kernel) + 14.740s (userspace) = 22.855s
graphical.target reached after 14.712s in userspace

SYSTEM SPECS:
Acer Aspire 5733Z-4816
Pentium R P6200 dual core 2.1GHZ CPU
8GB DDR 1066 RAM
Intel HD Integrated Graphics
Samsung 850 Pro SATA III SSD Drive

2 Likes

1 second.
1sec

1 Like

Windows 10 most likely is utilizing fastboot on your system which is a form of hibernation. you can enable this in Zorin by using **sudo apt-get install fastboot but as with windows this takes page/swap space and can sometimes cause boot issues.

for my laptop running zorin pro 16.1 lite takes 33 seconds my desktop zorin pro 16.1 about 24 seconds.

** edit** installed fastboot on my laptop just now - shutdown and restarted 3x @ 19 seconds, 17 seconds and 26 seconds.

I checked on Zorin you have option a hibernate i checked working perfectly and very fast on xfce without problems.