Old tech vs. New tech

OMG, people who use computer's today have no idea. Back in the 90's, I got a lot of quality experience with MAC computers. The time it took your average MAC to boot into System 6, System 7, System 8, or System 9, took forever!

Yes, its true, depending on the hardware in the MAC, is how fast it would boot into the OS. But reality is, MAC OS had so much junk it had to load in the way of extensions, that the process usually took a couple of minutes.

I stopped using MAC's when they switched to Intel CPU's, so I have no idea if they sped up their boot times or not.

1 Like

Something tells me that we belong to a same age group...
Mine was 8 inch.

2 Likes

First contact with a computer.

2 Likes

64k of RAM. Rolling with the Big Dogs, now.

3 Likes

That means why i still liked more PC with keyboard and not with touch screen some mobile app or something? That means I am still in Ice Age?

I almost want to start a new thread on this...

But no.

Who here has an Android Phone?
If so - how do you disable hotspot (without netsearching)?
How do you change one individuals notification ringtone, but not their call ringtone (Without googling)?
How do you change font and / or font size (Without using the duckduckgo)?

How do you go back One Page on the eBay app without it backing all the way out of the app?

Why is Cake Browser such a big deal?

The problem with Mobile is that cell phones have too many settings and not enough input devices. For doom-scrolling on the bus, it is no big deal.
But imagine trying to actually - Do Work - in an Android Environment? You would lose your mind trying to.
The problem with Windows and with Gnome is that they blindly think that just because Android functionality is "trending" and "popular" that they should mimic that minimalism and lack of functionality on a WORKBENCH.

Sometimes, I think a person should have to get a License to operate a computer.

5 Likes

Is this rhetorical? I only ask because I can answer all of these if you really need...except the cake browser...I don't get that either. LOL

Yes.

And I admit that I did not really take the time to come up with better examples.
But the point is that any intensive work cannot be done in such a very limited environment. A phone is fine for very basic actions or basic reading... But you cannot use Inkscape on it. Or Blender. Or any Detailed and laborious work.
A Computer is for that kind of work.

The concept of mimicking the Wrong Environment on a Workbench is Absurd.

Cake Browser supposedly is built and structured in a way to actually perform logically on a limited Mobile device, rather than being half-adapted to doing so, like Firefox Mobile Browser is.

Goes towards the right tool for the job. Unfortunately, common sense is not so common anymore. I kind of figured that was your intention, just picking. lol

Nokia is to new...I'm using a motorola by Nextel!

You are not far off. I held on to an Sanyo RL4930 for a very long time. Eventually, the battery went out and there was no way of replacing it...

Getting in, I set it on the roof of my truck and forgot.
When I realized and went back to look for it, it was in the road, run over several times. Everything still worked and the screen was unbroken.
They don't make 'em like that anymore.

2 Likes

lol. Don't you heard gaming mobile? Where procesor is burn and everything in mobile start crashed then they told you when you writing to android some games complain why this is crashed - they answear you have a poor mobile specification. I also looked what app not using and another many trash what I never used on mobile. Mostly for text msg and call. The best option older mobile with android lollipop you cannot install any app because you have information your version android is low and you need some higher version. So they want tell me I need to buying new mobile with higher version android to use some application. Isn't this some tricky market? Battery mobile with processor SoC with 1Tb 16Gb ram, 7" amoled or lcd and what could be more eating battery if you don't used them often. Bluetooth and wifi application, because now everyone using apps.

This could pose a hazard for a car which runs over it.

I remember this old news - a businessman fend himself from a lobber with this "Brick" and the lobber needed a hospital treatment thereafter :wink:

5 Likes

Oh uh it's happening again... we've derailed off-topic. Perhaps we should move this to its own thread?

p.s. Punch card computers are no more :(((

3 Likes

Phhhff... all that high tech.
In my youth we used this:

4 Likes

Back in the good ol' days...
Sadly the companies behind the hand™ also went out of business.

4 Likes

Posts splitted from the original: How fast does your Computer Boot up with Zorin?

1 Like

On a serious note; My first computer was a commodore 64, still miss it though ... yeah I know there's vice on Linux.

2 Likes

You know whats really funny? Computers are so quiet these days, and the only time people complain, is if they hear their notebooks fan screaming all the time. My position is, I rather have cooling over quietness.

I discovered that MSI tuned my notebook fan curves for quiet. So of course, one of the first things I did was, go into the bios and set my fans to start kicking up at 35C, and maximize by 68C. I rather not have a CPU meltdown thank you very much lol.

But even computer's in the 90's were still loud due to noisy hard drives. That high pitched whine sound was all too common, and if you ever entered a server room, better have ear plugs lol.

In the 80's to mid 90's, we got to listen to the wonderful sound of magnetic tape drives and floppies making their own wracket of sounds. If you don't know these sounds, I recommend watching That 8-Bit Guy on Youtube.

Truth is, floppy drives were so dumb, they had to issue a return to home command, which always made that knocking sound we all heard so much, and if you asked weather or not that knocking would eventually wear out the drive, you'd be right lol.

Kids today with their fancy smart phones, and thin and light notebooks, have 0-clue what we went through. IMHO, it is better to have experienced what we came from, to give appreciation for what we have now.

And don't forget the lovely sounds the dialup modems made back in the 90's, early 2000's. Those were the days, when downloading a 100MB file would leave you in serious doubt weather it would get to you, before your ISP terminated your connection.

2 Likes

You forgot to mention dot-matrix printers.
Nothing like a soothing sound of a daisy wheel /s.

Perforated edge, anyone? :rofl:

3 Likes