How to access microphone

Citing Camera app on Zorin OS 15 [moderator edit]

Thanks for the advice of Aravisian how to activate the web cam on Zorin OS 15. Is there anything similar to activate the microphone? I did not find anything in hardware settings that adresses microphone (or web cam) settings.

All audio settings on an Ubuntu system are managed by Pulse Audio, including the microphone settings. Just search for Pulse Audio Volume Control on your system, you will find it. Once you have launched the app, go to the INPUT tab, and thats where you will find the microphone settings.

https://forum.zorin.com/t/how-to-disable-microphone-in-zorin-os-15-3/1794
jgordon’s post addresses accessing settings on Lite. My post addresses accessing settings on Core.

Thank You for Your advice. I downloaded Pulse Audio from the software store release 3.28.1). However when I press the install-button, I get the message “additional packages required - software application requires additional packages”. Software: Zorin OS core 15.3 Hardware: Lenovo Thinkpad T400s, Intel Core 2 Duo SP9400 (2.4 GHz), 4GB DDR3-1066 RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500MHD, 128GB SSD and Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, Intel Core i7-8565U QuadCore (1.8-4.6 GHz), 16GB RAM, Intel UHD 620 Grafic shared, 1TB SSD.

@AlbertGansmann I am surprised you get error regarding additional dependancies on Zorin 15.3 Core.
Have you got your software sources for installs/updates set to Main Server instead of your country server?
Can you istall Synaptic Package Manager. That would be best way to search and install “Pulse Audio Volume Control” (pavucontrol) as it should show the needed dependancies to be included.

Thank You for Your answer. “Have you got your software sources for installs/updates set to Main Server instead of your country server?” - I am running Zorin OS core 15.3 from a 256 GB USB-stick as a try-out-version. I don’t know if software updates are downloaded onto the stick or onto the SSD. - “Can you install Synaptic Package Manager?” - Yes, I could install Synaptic Package Manager, and I updated all 95 packages (items) that were listed. However I still get the message “additional packages required - software application requires additional packages”.

Oh your doing try out mode with USB, no wonder you are running into issues. You can’t really install software and be able to use a lot of it virtually, at least that never worked for me. You can only go so far with a try out by USB method. Eventually your going to have to install Zorin on your computer and go from there.

@AlbertGansmann, @StarTreker is right, Live Disk/USB is really only good to get a feel for the distro, not so good as a portable OS. With Live Disk/USB trial of Zorin you will find performance sub-par compared to full installation. You could include some “persistence” memory when you create your Live USB, that will enable you to save software changes you make, but will still find it slow going and unrepresentative of a proper disk installation of Zorin OS.

1 Like

Thank You.

Thank You for Your answer.