How to change task bar menu type and more Zorin 16 pro

Yes, Lite PRo is XFCE4 desktop. The only question is if it will be XFCE 4.14 or 4.16. I suspect 4.16. But we can handle both.

Per below: I have been running XFCE4 4.16 on Zorin OS 16 beta this entire time. It is available in the Testing branch.

XFCE 4.16!
I was waiting for that for a long time :slight_smile:

Thanks for this info!
I love the new icon set of XFCE 4.16.
They are absolutely cute!

Thanks @Storm , but that's the problem. The default layout is the only one that has the menu I want. But I want to use the template with the dash dock, in which case the taskbar shifts to the top and becomes greyed out in the settings. That particular taskbar provides only a mini menu with no way to change it... or is there?

Have you tried Dash to dock extension?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/307/dash-to-dock/

That awfully looks like the mac layout I am using now.

Zorin Dash is based upon it.

1 Like

Yep, and it already came installed with the O.P.'s copy of Zorin OS pro.

Ah no wonder.
Yet another Zorin secret I did not Know.

@Aravisian OMG, yes PLEASE!!

But first, the big question... is XFCE compatible with Hidpi? That's what Linux Mint uses and screen resolution consistency was a nightmare. I then switched to Manjaro KDE and that was great but the os was way to glitchy/unstable.

So far, Zorin Pro with gnome has been the only one to offer both Hidpi and stability.

Been there done that before I gave up on it.

1 Like

I have a huge amount of respect for the Linux Mint developers - we agree far more often than we disagree. :wink: The forums are often a great go-to source for help and information.
That being said...
Yes, XFCE does support HiDPI and it does so pretty well, normally. Perhaps something went sideways previously.
This suggests you may be better off with XFCE 4.16.
HiDPI support was first introduced to XFCE in version 4.14.

Have you tried Dash to dock extension?
Dash to Dock - GNOME Shell Extensions

@Storm Yes, I believe so. I installed all the extensions at once through terminal. The option for the dash is in Gnome Tweak. But when I am on the default template and enable the dash on Gnome Tweak, it simply won't stay enabled.

Maybe I should try installing it again via the link you provided.

Tink, it may be productive for you to keep this thread going with @Storm exploring learning and managing the Gnome Desktop.
If you could please start a new Thread under General Help "Installing XFCE 4.16 on Zorin Core" where we can also take a stroll through XFCE on Zorin OS to see how that exploration can help you.

It works on mine.

1 Like

This suggests you may be better off with XFCE 4.16.
HiDPI support was first introduced to XFCE in version 4.14.

I agree. 4.16 may be better. The issue was with other apps not playing nicely with XFCE. They just ignore it's setting. Certain apps like VirtualBox and many more need individual tweaks to display properly in it. I'm nervous to switch, tbh because I've been at this for a week trying to get a properly functioning laptop on Linux. It's interfering with work. Gah!

Don't worry- We can set you up without risk. You will not endanger your desktop or anything. This is not a Reinstallation of the OS - just an addition of an alternate Desktop Environment. You would be able to switch between the two at will, no need to even reboot.

1 Like

@Storm

It works on mine.

I don't have that template choice. When I chose the side dock template I don't have that menu at the top. Just a workspace toggle.

I don't know how to take a screenshot even to show you.

I chose the default layout and move the taskbar up and added Dash to Dock. No need to use one of the others layouts.

Open application menu, start typing screenshot.
It will show you the right app.

1 Like

Or tap the PrtScr key.