How to change task bar menu type and more Zorin 16 pro

Hey guys, I'm brand new to Zorin. I just switched to Linux from Windows last wk. Tried both Linux Mint and Manjaro KDE. Just installed Z Pro yesterday. Gnome is killing me!! I can't figure out how to do the most simple of things. Like...

1. How do I select which type of menu I want to use on the task bar? Different layouts provide different menu/app launchers, but in the layout I want, there is no option to change the menu type.
  2. Is there a way to create our own layout?
  3. How do I get the weather to show up beside the date and time?

I've already installed gnome tweaks + all the extensions, but it's scope is still minimal. II've read the help manual, searched google + these forums, but can't find anything that give direct instruction. So appreciate any help!!

This is why I use Zorin Lite (XFCE4).
Gnome was killing me.

It honestly amazes me how a Windows user says they want to get away from "controlling Microsoft" and move to Gnome, which is far more restrictive and far more controlling than Microsoft ever was.
It really boggles my mind.

I can answer all of your above questions on XFCE... On Gnome... Not so much. Perhaps @Storm or @FrenchPress can be more helpful.

1 Like

I do not understand what you meant by "menu type". Do you mean add/remove launchers? You can just drag and drop.

Own layout - I do not think it is possible. But there are ample options in "Appearance" to let you chose from.

I only use the date/time weather indicator. This has to be answered by someone who uses weather applet.

The weather is build-in in time/date.

I think OP is asking something to place in taskbar.

When I was using Mint XFCE, I used to have a weather plug in.
But I do not think such thing exists in GNOME.

This extension works for weather next to time and date

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/750/openweather/

1 Like

It's on the wishlist in the feedback forum.

1 Like

That's a pretty harsh reply, tbh. Why so judgemental?

Have some compassion for the fact that Window users are BRAND NEW to the world of Linux. Having so many variations like GNOME and XFCE ect on top of the distro options is beyond confusing.

Why reply just to criticize me? I thought forums were a place to go for help... especially for those of us who are new and just learning.

1 Like

Aravisian is talking about his frustration regarding Gnome.
It is not targeted to you. He did enough tinkering around GNOME himself and quite aware of its limit.

1 Like

@FrenchPress Ah, okay. Thank you. Now I know why I couldn't find it lol.

Yes, it was a general statement. Sorry, I was not very clear in my wording.
I have also talked with Artyom Zorin about my own position that Gnome is not a good starting Desktop Environment for migrants from Windows- He disagrees with some good points of his own in Gnomes favor.
It can be very confusing in Linux, as Linux moves at a much faster pace than Windows Does. With new releases being a year or so apart in Linux and four or five years apart in Linux.
But yes, that is why we are here- to help reduce confusion and to encourage learning.

@FrenchPress By menu, I mean the Zorin logo on the task bar (when placed at the bottom of the screen) that bring up all the software + a search bar + logout . If you select a different template where the taskbar is at the top, the menu changes and all the options like search bar + logout are gone.

How do I chose/change that?

Coming from macOS I only use mac layout.
I cannot answer that question. @Storm, do you have any idea how to do this?

Blockquote This extension works for weather next to time and date
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/750/openweather/

Excellent, thanks!!

Use the default layout, right click on the taskbar and click taskbar settings.

1 Like

Blockquote Yes, it was a general statement. Sorry, I was not very clear in my wording.
I have also talked with Artyom Zorin about my own position that Gnome is not a good starting Desktop Environment for migrants from Windows- He disagrees with some good points of his own in Gnomes favor.
It can be very confusing in Linux, as Linux moves at a much faster pace than Windows Does. With new releases being a year or so apart in Linux and four or five years apart in Linux.
But yes, that is why we are here- to help reduce confusion and to encourage learning.

So sorry!! I took your tone as meaning something other. I completely apologize! Yes, I can attest that Gnome is the least friendly, least intuitive, and plain difficult to work with.

I so want to learn Linux and hopefully never go back to Windows. I'm so done with the rein of big corp. I do hear you on your suggestion to go look at the lite version, but I actually paid for the Pro so now I'm stuck with it, like it or not, lol.

2 Likes

When lite pro comes you get it for free because you paid for this one.

1 Like

I think you can install XFCE desktop on top of GNOME. XFCE is way easy to customize.

Oh no, not at all. Zorin Pro comes with Zorin OS Pro Lite. :slight_smile:

Lite is still in development for Zorin OS 16, but you will get a notification and a download link from ZorinGroup once it is released.

That being said... You can have it all, right now, if you want.
We can install the XFCE4 desktop on your system and get you all configured-- that way when Zorin OS 16 Lite is released, you need only add the Zorin Desktop portions. If you are interested, I can walk you through the process.

Will that come with XFCE though?