How to disable Wayland

Edit the configuration file,

sudo nano /etc/gdm3/custom.conf

to uncomment [remove # from] the line containing

WaylandEnable=false

save the file (Ctrl +O and after that press the enter key to confirm save, then Ctrl+ X to exit).

Modified the answer given here:

So now, no cog showing at login, meaning I am now on xorg only:

4 Likes

If you want to one-shot this from the cli, in Zorin 17, you can use:

sudo sed -i 's/# WaylandEnable=false/WaylandEnable=false/' /etc/gdm3/custom.conf

Is there any benefit to disabling it on a display-manager level instead of just...clicking the cog???

Well for those that were not aware of the default DE then perhaps there is a benefit?

1 Like

Specifically, in a student environment where Veyon is used, you want to run X11 so that viewing and controlling the student desktops is possible.

If the students are left to their own devices, then chaos ensues, where the teachers don't know what is going on, and the students have to both be taught and remember to change to X11 for a session. Taking that choice away solves this problem for everyone. However, in the future, Veyon may have a Wayland-compatible version, in which case this fix will be unneeded.

1 Like

In a video from Nick (thelinuxexperiment) explained that Wayland will never be capable of desktop sharing so only of use for those who don't need Veyon, Jitsi or Zoom!

Yes, that will be a big problem, I found the video you were talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlvusAuDDZ0&ab_channel=TheLinuxExperiment

1 Like

Wayland itself no, that isn't part of the core spec. There is existing implementations for screen sharing, namely portals.

There is also namely this in-staging Wayland protocol that is already implemented in Mir, Sway and Hyprland regarding screen sharing:

Also note that in TLE's video, they were talking about network transparency, which is a different thing from screen sharing.

There are bigger concerns with Wayland and not just its implementation. It's like systemd and pulseaudio all over again:

http://techrights.org/o/2023/08/22/wayland-and-ibm/

I have to admit that the recent XZ vulnerability has made me more wary of things like systemd, that are so tightly integrated with everything else. And it appears that even Lennart Poettering agrees with proposed solutions to slim systemd's dependencies:

On a completely unrelated note, the format on that techrights article is a little weird, or is it just me?

Edit: another slightly unrelated note :joy:

2 Likes

From what i have read the last couple of days is that wayland works great with nvidia. Is this correct ? currently i am using Windows 11 on my 1 year old laptop (MSI Crosshair 15 B12UGSZ) and i am still in a dubio if i would install linux again. Everything worked great on my older acer machine (except i had once in a month or 2 a black screen while i booted my laptop). I am following Pop OS 24.04 too because they are working on cosmic.

Interestingly, it is more the other way around. Steps are being taken to get things working between Wayland and Nvidia, but even those steps require patching through XWayland rather than Wayland.
As it is currently, though Wayland has been made the default Display Protocol on Zorin OS 17, Nvidia users are automatically diverted to Zorin on X most of the time due to the incompatibilities between Wayland and Nvidia.

Summary

Michel! It has been too long since we have seen the gaming expert. Glad to hear you have been doing well.

There will come something called Explicit Sync. This should make that Wayland and Nvidia are working better together. As far as I know the Code is integrated in Wayland and should come with Nvidia Driver 555. A Desktop Enviroment that will support that is the coming Plasma 6.1.

Let's not get caught up in another rerun of systemd, then it was Red Hat, now it is IBM!