[HOW TO] How to get Windows Apps / Games working in Zorin OS 16

It finally came back to me! You need to create a .bin image and use that as the reference point for cdemu so you don't need the CD!:

2 Likes

dxvk and dxvk-nvapi can also manually be added to proton. I wrote a small tutorial for Lutris, for steam you can use this.

You can upgrade the version of DXVK used in Proton, without waiting on a new release. To do so you can just overwrite the existing DXVK files with the release download of DXVK 1.9.3. You can find your Proton install somewhere like this (depending on your Steam Library drives):

path-to-your/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Proton x.x/dist

Where x.x is whatever Proton version installed you wish to give a new DXVK.

Inside there you will see "lib" and "lib64", for 32bit and 64bit. Inside each of those, there's a "wine" folder and inside there is a "dxvk" folder and that's where you replace the files with new versions. Do so at your own risk but it's usually harmless. If you mess anything up, one way to ensure it gets reinstalled cleanly is just to remove the "/dist" folder..

2 posts were split to a new topic: Battle.net and Warzone in Linux

I see. There are some Windows apps that I use and would like to ask you if is possible to use them in Linux.

• Ringcentral, the desktop app not the phone app for Linux.
  • Grammarly, the writing app.

Also, I have NVidia RTX 2060, do the drivers update frequently?

Ringcentral seems not: WineHQ - RingCentral for Windows 7.2.4
Grammarly seems it does: https://www.quora.com/Does-Grammarly-work-on-Linux

Bottles tutorial added -> [How-To] Install Bottles (wine/lutris alike)

3 Likes

Hmmm really hard to add games. Where are all my GOG games tored? Steam games? Native linux games that i installed from software center? Would be nice to have some kind of add/serch tool for seachring for games.

The program has potential. I like it.

1 Like

Lutris can run other launchers as well. If you look in the sidebar, there's an option for installing Steam, GOG, Epic games and other launchers.

I usually install my games through these launchers and after that, I manually add them to Lutris and also create a desktop shortcut using it.

1 Like

After viewing the above video I imagine the only way you can use Lutris is if you install Wine ..... or at least that was my interpretation .... all went well until she started showing how to install Wine after which I lost interest .... :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Something you could have done that would add value is what I am doing here, adding the links that were in the video description. It didn't take much time, nor was it a hassle.

Resources:

All commands should be run using sudo apt install, apt-get is a deprecated and supported for legacy reasons currently. apt provides all the functionality, and new features. Any time you see an apt-get install you should automatically modify it to use just apt. Soon support for apt-get will be dropped and anyone still using it will find themselves with questions when nothing happens.

2 Likes

Great point .... thank you for that .... I modified my cheat-sheet to just show "sudo apt install" instead of "apt-get" .....

I know you are busy with school and all that but it is good to see you back with your timely suggestions and knowledge when it comes to Linux .... I know other newbie's like me appreciate it ..... in this case "to many cooks don't spoil the soup" ..... :grinning:

1 Like

I added some c64 game/roms but i cant make it start with Vice.

Did you try winuae in lutris ? We need a bit more info.

dxvk-nvapi 0.6 got released. For manual installation follow this post.

• Update NVAPI headers to R525.
  • Update NVML headers to R525.
  • Report Ada architecture for NVIDIA 4000 series.
  • Spoof Ampere instead of Ada or later for certain DLSS versions to prevent failing DLSS initialization.
  • Spoof Pascal instead of Turing or later when detecting Monster Hunter World to prevent startup crashes.
  • Add several new entry points for querying GPU attributes using NVML (GPU core count, PCIe link width, IRQ). Most of those require wine-nvml v0.2.
  • Re-implement several entry points for querying GPU system information using newer NVML methods (thermal states, dynamic performance states, BUS type). Those newer NVML methods better match their NVAPI counterparts and result in a more complete implementation of those entry points. This requires wine-nvml v0.2.
  • Fix build error when building with GCC 12.
  • Add internal optimizations (smaller compile units, code formatting with clang-format).
  • Bump required meson version to 0.58.

I need to install WeChat messenger for Windows. I've installed Wine as per your instructions, but not sure what next (as it's not a game). Should I:

1. just use plain Wine?
  2. Install Lutris and use that to install or run WeChat?
  3. install PlayonLinux and use that to install or run WeChat?
  4. Other? (E.g. Bottles?)

I would try Lutris first or bottles, bottles and lutris are great tools.

Lutris v0.5.12 got released:
Add support for Xbox games with the xemu runner
Fix authentication issue with Origin
Fix authentication issue with EGS
Fix authentication issue with Ubisoft Connect when 2FA is enabled
Fix integration issue with GOG
Add Discord Rich Presence integration
Add ability to extract icons from Windows executables
Allow setting custom cover art
Re-style configuration dialogs

If your store keeps wanting to downgrade (like mine does), write sudo apt-mark hold lutris

GE-Proton7-42 Released

Pull in upstream build changes from proton experimental
update dxvk-nvapi
update dxvk
update vkd3d
update media converter
update wine to latest proton experimental bleeding edge
rebase wine staging
dxvk: add launcher fix for secret world:legends
protonfixes: add d3d9_43 and 11_43 winetricks for secret world: legends (thanks zerodogg)
protonfixes: remove no longer needed fps cap for king of fighters (applied in dxvk directly instead, thanks Bitwolfies)
protonfixes: remove no longer needed EAC workaround for SQUAD (thanks mikk150)
protonfixes: add protonfix for Skeleton Boomerang (thanks xperia64)
protonfixes: add protonfix for Re-Volt (thanks mthsk)

VKD3D v2.8 got released:

This release rolls up some significant new developments before the holidays.

VK_EXT_descriptor_buffer support

This extension is significant in that it removes a ton of CPU overhead.
We already had most of this in place on RADV and Steam Deck,
but this will allow NVIDIA, Intel, Turnip, and other AMD driver implementations to hit the same optimal code paths.
GPU bound performance increases slightly since we can also remove some shader code that was required to workaround lack of descriptor buffers.

New extension requirements

To support descriptor buffers in the code base, these features are now required instead of optional.
Note that these features are widely supported already and is not expected to cause any problems.
If an implementation could support v2.7, it will support v2.8.

• VK_KHR_buffer_device_address
  • VK_KHR_push_descriptor

Rewritten support for host accessible images

The entire API feature was rewritten from scratch to support more implementations and edge cases without
a lot of per-application hacks and workarounds.
As the most extreme example of weird API usage, Guardians of the Galaxy should (finally) run well on NVIDIA.

Rewritten swap chain

To most users, this change should be transparent.

• Allow more precise control on latency and frame pacing with VK_KHR_present_wait.
    • mesa-git supports this along with NVIDIA.
    • VKD3D_SWAPCHAIN_LATENCY_FRAMES=n allows user to force a specific amount of latency.
    • Implementation of DXGI latency fences is now correct.
  • Reduce CPU overhead on the main thread that presents to swap chain.
  • Fixes a spurious hang in Hitman III where game relies on asynchronous present in order to not lock up.
  • Win32 specific DXGI code is handled by DXVK. A DXVK build from Experimental or later is required for this to work.
    This allows a native Linux implementation of vkd3d-proton, including swap chain.
  • When VK_KHR_present_wait is not supported, behavior should be 1:1 with old implementation.

NOTE: The old swapchain implementation is still in the repository, and is expected to be removed in the next release.
For now, VKD3D_CONFIG=swapchain_legacy can be used to triage any potential issues with the new one.

NOTE: A driver crash was observed on NVIDIA 525.x drivers when running in some PRIME configurations.
For now, we disable use of present_wait on these drivers.

Fixes and workarounds

• Workaround GPU hangs in Spiderman Remastered: Miles Morales (same issue as the original).
  • Fix rendering bug with gun damage in Borderlands 3 on RADV.
  • Refactor how resizable BAR is used. GPUs with 4 GiB and lower will no longer attempt to use resizable BAR,
    which can avoid some out-of-memory situations.
  • Fix GPU hang in Age of Empires IV.
  • Fix some minor issues in mesh shader implementation.
  • Fix some issues preventing RE: Village from booting on Arc.
  • Some last minute frenzied fixes for Witcher 3 next-gen update.
    • All features except RT appears to work on RADV.
    • Hairworks is known to crash GPU on NVIDIA. More investigation is needed to root cause.
    • Some RT effects work on NVIDIA, others don't:
      • GI is reported to work.
      • AO crashes GPU. More investigation is needed to root cause.

Implement minor missing D3D12 features

An obscure feature was stubbed out and forgotten until now.
ID3D12Device1::SetEventOnMultipleFenceCompletion() is now implemented.

Also, implement SetEventOn(Multiple)FenceCompletion for shared D3D12 fences.
Fixes a regression in Gears 5 causing lockup on boot.

1 Like