How to install Hypnotix on Zorin OS Core 15.3?

Hello,

How do I install Hypnotix on Zorin OS Core 15.3? I have already used those commands on Terminal:

wget https://github.com/linuxmint/hypnotix/releases/download/1.1/hypnotix_1.1_all.deb -O hypnotix.deb

sudo dpkg -i hypnotix.deb

sudo apt-get install -f

But it doesn't work by clicking on the icon, on the other hand, on Terminal the following message is displayed:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/hypnotix/hypnotix.py", line 24, in
import mpv
File "/usr/lib/hypnotix/mpv.py", line 567, in
_handle_func('mpv_render_context_create', [MpvRenderCtxHandle, MpvHandle, POINTER(MpvRenderParam)], c_int, ec_errcheck, ctx=None)
File "/usr/lib/hypnotix/mpv.py", line 478, in _handle_func
func = getattr(backend, name)
File "/usr/lib/python3.6/ctypes/init.py", line 361, in getattr
func = self.getitem(name)
File "/usr/lib/python3.6/ctypes/init.py", line 366, in getitem
func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
AttributeError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmpv.so.1: undefined symbol: mpv_render_context_create

GitHub (https://github.com/linuxmint/hypnotix) lists the following requirements:

But I don't know where to find them.

Best regards,

jonatas.rocha

You can get the requirements here:

sudo apt install libxapp1 libmpv1 python3-imdbpy

Note: This command is taken from Z16 so some of the libs might be different.
You could install synaptic to search the libs though.

Apparently, the requirements are already installed:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading status information... Done
libmpv1 is already the latest version (0.27.2-1ubuntu1).
libmpv1 installed to install manually.
libxapp1 is already the latest version (1.0.4-2fakesync1).
libxapp1 installed to install manually.
python3-imdbpy is already the latest version (6.8-2).
The following packages were installed automatically and are no longer available:
gnome-tweak-tool python3-click python3-colorama
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' for OS remover.
0 signed packages, 0 new packages installed, 0 to be removed and 1 unsigned.

However, I cannot run the application and Terminal displays the same error message.

I think therer's some bugs in the Z15 libs, because it runs with no trouble on Z16. If you can wait for Tuesday to get Z16 and then install it?

Of course, I can wait! I hope it will be possible to upgrade directly from Z15.3 to Z16 without using a bootable flash drive! lol

Best regards,

jonatas.rocha

I'm afraid that it won't be possible to upgrade from Z15 to Z16. That feature comes later this year. :-/

:worried:

Don't you have a USB drive?
What about DVD burner?

Yes, I do. But it took me a while to be able to backup and migrate from Windows to Z15.3. Maybe, I will use this version until they implement a direct upgrade.

I don't know how much you need to backup, but Mega have Free 25GB storage in the cloud and it's fully compatible with Zorin (ubuntu) and integrate well.

1 Like

Yes, Hypnotix is a Recently Released application, after Ubuntu 18.04. The dependencies are only satisfied in Ubuntu 20.04 or higher (Zorin OS 16 or higher).
You might try seeing if you can install the Higher Version of libmpv1 on your system:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/m/mpv/libmpv1_0.32.0-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Double click to run the installer after you save the file.
Otherwise, I am sure we can help you get set up in Zorin OS 16. The Direct Upgrade path is actually more painful than a regular reinstallation.
Such as this post here:

1 Like