Today i will create a small tutorial to recover your "so called" killed usb stick. balenaEtcher is a tool that kills the usb faster then installing a iso on it. With luck the iso will be installed the first time of use, after that it's failing and failing and failing. I tried to recover the usb in Windows 10 using commandprompt and diskpart. Windows 10 was not able to recover the usb.
In windows 10 i used a tool called MiniTool Partition Wizard Free. This tool is the only tool so far that is able to recover your dead usb stick.
- Download and install the Minitool Partition Wizard
- After installation run the application
- Locate your usb stick and select it
- Right mouse click and select "Delete all partitions"
- Select the drive again
- Right mouse click and select "create"
- Format in fat32 (or anything your want)
- USB is recovered.
*. With 1 of my sticks it failed these steps, you can do a full wipe with zero or ones, it takes some time but the usb will be back to live again and you can follow step 6-8.
For linux: I need to sort this out "if" there is a program to restore the usb, in the meantime you can use Minitool Partition Wizard in wine if i am not wrong.