[HOW TO] Remove snapd and flatpak ... should you wish to

I don't know if the security issues are still the same (apps having root access, no sandboxing), this also could apply to 'app images' as discussed in this 2018 YouTube video by Distro Tube - and now it appears to be no longer there!
Anyhow if you prefer not to have snapd on your Zorin install, this is how to remove it:

Commands under the video.

If you also want to remove flatpaks follow the guide here:

Whilst it is aimed at Linux Mint it also works under Zorin 16 as does the snap removal instructions.
However, a word of warning! When I removed flatpak in Plasma it did warn me that xrandr would be removed - so now I only have one working monitor - a downside of the way things are going in Linux - too much interdependence equals reduction in user choice which is what GNU/Linux is supposed to be about in the first place!

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Discussing How to remove snapd and flatpak … should you wish to

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussing How to remove snapd and flatpak … should you wish to

Then you may release your wrath upon its tender innards.

1 Like

Done, everything is removed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Linux Mint tutorial eradicates Flatpak completely, it's not my intention. I want to remove Flatpak from 'Software' app and apt - but keep existing flatpak installs. Can I remove 'flathub' repository without breaking the system? I can see even gtk themes are flatpaked in Zorin.

What applications are you referring to? There might be an alternative option using Synaptic Package manager.

I believe these are just flatpak duplicates, not needed if you are not using Flatpak's and remove Flatpak. Others may be able to give second opinion to confirm this understanding.

1 Like

You can achieve this with

sudo apt remove gnome-software-plugin-flatpak

1 Like

Thanks for answering. Result of 'flatpak list' on my almost new Core install:

Thanks! That did it.
Sorry for my late response, I'm new to Zorin and customizing fresh install takes a lot of time.
Again, big thanks.