HP Pavilion Laptop won't wake from sleep with Zorin OS 16

Hello,
I have recently taken the plunge into Zorin OS and generally I'm enjoying my experience. I've installed Zorin OS 16 on both my desktop and my laptop but my laptop installation has not gone quite as smoothly as my desktop.

I'm running a HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eh0015cl (specs here HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC 15-eh0015cl Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support) and while everything installed without issue (at least none reported) any time the laptop goes to sleep I am unable to wake it back up. The built in Keyboard and Track-pad appear to be unresponsive and there is no response from an external mouse if I connect it either. The only way to get the laptop back to a usable state is to press and hold the power button until the device powers off and power it back on.

Not ideal to say the least.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue? Is there a resolution in the works?

Thanks for any assistance.

1 Like

Crosslink: My laptop freezes when I close It - #4 by Aravisian

Thanks but I'm afraid these instructions aren't very helpful to a new user.

1. Find lid switch node with
cat /proc/acpi/wakeup 
  1. Unbind by echoing that node into the directory:

/sys/bus/acpi/drivers/button/unbind

1. Close lid

2. Restart display manager after lid close:

sudo systemctl restart display-manager 

I don't know how to 'echo a node' into a directory and what node am I echoing?
The first command lists off three entries 1 enabled and 2 disabled. Are there more specific steps documented so that I can learn what is being done here please?

1 Like

I am sorry, I was very unclear with all of that.

The posted link is not intended to be specific instructions for anyone. It is an example demonstrating that this is a reasonably common issue on Ubuntu and Ubuntu-derivatives and that troubleshooting it is often like pulling teeth.

The cause could be a BIOS setting.
It could be the Graphics card.
It could be the Display manager.
It could be a network controller.
It could be backlight.

It could be insanity...

What you can provide to help us to try to help you:
The results of

lshw

Or

lspci

The contents of /var/log/syslog (In Root directory).
The contents, if any, of ~/.xsession-errors (In Home directory)

Okay I have the lshw , lspci, and the contents of the syslog ready to upload. I could not find any .xsession-errors in the home directory. Do I just post them to the forum? Or is there a support email address I should send them too?

Thanks

You can use pastebin to share them here.

Okay here are the exports. There are a lot of failure messages.

LSPCI
LSHW
SYSLOG part1
SYSLOG part2

It looks like BIOS; When was the last time you Updated your computers motherboard firmware?
You can find the BIOS update here:
https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp133001-133500/sp133136.exe

Sadly, HP hates Linux or something and only releases BIOS and Firmware Updates in .exe packages.
In order to apply the update, you must download the file. Then go into downloads and extract the hp Binary file (I recommend 7zip). Open a terminal and navigate to the Extracted Folder in your home Downloads folder. Make a new directory for the update patch if you need it (check if the directory exists first):

sudo mkdir -p /boot/efi/EFI/HP/DEVFW/firmware.bin

Copy the files over:

sudo cp *.bin /boot/efi/EFI/HP/DEVFW/firmware.bin

If that does not work, try:

sudo cp firmware.bin /boot/efi/EFI/HP/DEVFW/firmware.bin

Or, check if the file name is something specific and use that, instead.

Reboot and directly enter your BIOS settings. Then, select BIOS Setup > Update System BIOS > Update BIOS Using Local Media.

It's a brand new laptop so I hadn't yet updated the firmware. In fact when I looked on the HP website (which is terrible) for an updated firmware it didn't list anything for this model.

I'll try applying this when I can and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the assistance!

2 Likes

Agreed!!

I ran into that too. Finding that update patch I linked to above took an absurd amount of Hunting.

I appreciate the effort you made. Soon as I have a result I'll let you know.
Thanks again.

1 Like

Hmm I can't actually extract the Bios_update.exe to get the .bin files. I get an error that Cannot open file as archive.

I might have to put windows back on the laptop just to run the firmware update directly :frowning:

If that is a viable option... then...

I just tested this, to be sure and ran into the same problem:

7z e sp133136.exe

Worked and yielded BIOS_update.exe. But that could not be extracted. I am not sure what is going on there.

Well I managed to get the BIOS update to install but I'm afraid the wake from sleep functionality is still not working correctly. The machine is just unresponsive to keyboard/touchpad to get it to wake (the power led just keeps pulsing).

I've got the latest syslog entries after the bios update:
SYSLOG part 1
SYSLOG part 2
SYSLOG part 3

I did notice on updating the OS via the system manager it reported missing modules related to the GPU and something about boot (I don't know how to capture this information as it just showed up in the details section of the software update center)

1 Like

I'm sorry but to save us scrolling and searching, can you please reiterate what Graphics card you are using and what kernel you are on?

uname -r

sudo lshw -c video

uname -r: 5.11.0-38-generic

lshw -c video:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Renoir
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
version: c2
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
resources: irq:52 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e0000000-e01fffff ioport:f000(size=256) memory:fe300000-fe37ffff

There you go; thanks again for looking into this.

I would encourage you to roll your kernel back to a known working and AMD supported kernel.
We can try the 5.8 first and if that fails, the 5.4...

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

Once installed, reboot, then from grub, tap the tab button to see Advanced options for Zorin. Move to the 5.8 kernel and boot into it.
Test the system and relay the results.

1 Like

Woohoo! I can report success using the 5.8.0-63-generic kernel!
So I guess something got introduced between 5.8.0-63 and 5.11.0-38 huh?

Thanks for your help with this; May I ask is there a way to default the Grub launcher to use the working kernel so I don't have to select it each time please? The girlfriend is going to be using this laptop for work sometimes and she won't have the patience for going through advanced options :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A regression - something got removed. :expressionless:

Yes. You can remove the 5.11 kernel completely

sudo apt remove linux-headers-5.11.0-38-generic linux-modules-5.11.0-38-generic linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-38-generic linux-image-5.11.0-38-generic

Once done, open Synaptic (if you do not have it, sudo apt install synaptic)
Then click the search button.
Search for:
5.8.0-63
Tick all the boxes on the ones that You Have Installed.
Now go to the menubar and select Package and move down to Lock Version and select it to Lock the kernel to its current version.
That will prevent it from Upgrading to the newer non-working kernel.

Hmm...I ran the commands and locked the values in Synaptic

However the behaviour goes right back to the way it was before (Not waking). If I run the uname-r command it reports back as 5.11.0-38. If I reboot again and check the advanced settings it still lists 5.11 and 5.8 as options.

Not sure why that is given it's listed as removed if I try to remove it again :confused: