I need help with these issues

ok ,thank you

Thanks for the info

i installed tlp after a lot of research but now my laptop does not lock when i close the lid and also it randomly suspends after 5 minutes how can i turn that feature off while my laptop is charging

There are two things to check here: The power management settings and the Screensaver settings.

how do i do that

I am not sure on Zorin Core (Gnome).
I use Zorin Lite (XFCE).
It should be under Settings (gnome-control-center) > Power > Blank Screen
there is a drop down menu - set that to Never.

Because you said that you did not want it to. We went through these troubleshooting steps:

...to stop it from doing that.

oh, i did not want wifi to turn off but i wanted the lid thing to work

Perhaps Windows is different... but on Linux, if you close the lid and suspend the computer, the running processes are stopped.

i dont think its different in windows. but i just thought that those levels of customisation would be possible with linux

There are certain things that are more customizable in Windows than you may think. A lot of people just don't know about it. Linux is more engaging so people customize more.
There are many things in Linux that are more customizable than they are in Windows, too.
Sadly, this is not one of them, it seems.

When a laptop lid is closed, then the system generally must go to idle. The only way to stop that is to ignore the lid switch.

Keep in mind:
The Operating System you interact with is not controlling or running the computer. The Operating System of the motherboard is. Linux or Windows is communicating with that Operating System. That is what Drivers are- the means of communication. The kernel is a large bundle of drivers.
A network card, a graphics card, a sound card - they all have programmed operating systems, too. They Communicate with your Interface (Linux or Windows).
These operating systems (Which have various names) all are programmed and Set In Place by the hardware manufacturers. We have no control over this.
Drivers, Software and Linux or Windows operating systems can communicate with them to work together, but only within the limits of the hardware Operating Systems.

I can only think of one reason to keep a laptop alive with its lid closed, is if you have a separate keyboard and monitor and want to use the laptop as a processor "brick".

I remember on one occassion putting a work laptop with lid closed in its bag in a hurry. Getting it out later, I found it was still running. It was a little hot in that laptop bag. :face_with_thermometer: No reason for me to illustrate with the IT Crowd fire sketch again.

1 Like

yeah i agree with that

If you set the lid switch to turn off the screen it will do as you expect, keep running whatever you wish. In this state i would not place it in a bag or case because that will overheat your system and destroy necessary components. If you want to listen to music use a smart phone.

2 Likes

:100:% AGREED!

1 Like

My Apple 12 Pro Max Plays music via my apps and resources wonderfully via my sound bar or any of my devices in home, automobile (but I do use my XM on the road) or anywhere. Computer is for projects with the bands and surfing 95 % of the time. For what the darn phone cost I'm going to get as much as I can. Wife had to have these darn type as it's the "In" thing. :rofl: Why take a chance on damage to your system

Too right. Boil-in-the-bag laptop is not a good idea.
From my post above, I thought the laptop was shutting down when I bagged it and ran for an appointment. So was surprised to find it still running after. That was a Windows laptop though.

thing is i dont have one i just have my laptop

1 Like

By necessity, sometimes we will develop a habit.
But this does not validate the habit.
For example, not having a hammer, so using a rock as a hammer. The actual solution is to get a hammer, not to validate the rock.

Of course, if it was so easy to get the hammer, no one would ever substitute a rock for a hammer. But short of getting the right tool for the job, a person can remain wary of what habits they allow to develop.

You may need to grow accustomed to ensuring the safety of your investment in the notebook computer by not using it as a portable music player.
Maybe by getting a portable music player or maybe by using the notebook differently; only playing music when the computer is open and running.

1 Like

of course i have a lot of other uses like video editing,blender,online classes and what not. What was trying to do was expanding that use cases and even if i have a phone it wont be of much use other than as a portable music player because i am not old enough to own a sim card. I use my mother's phone when i need a phone to scan a file or something which requires it.

1 Like

We can address each of these in a new thread for each. I use Blender a lot.
many on here use Video editors.
And several students were going over GOA and Google accounts not long ago in a thread that they solved.