In quest for Linux compatible WiFi

My attitude is "Not to leave any stone unturned".
When I have a curiosity, I cannot stop researching on it.
I suppose that is why I decided to become a scientist :woman_scientist:

1 Like

I love scientists, because I always learn new things from them. And you already know that I have a very strong love for everything outer space. Which is why Neil Degrass Tyson is perhaps my most favorite astro physicists ever.

Truth is, when you find something that you are deeply interested in, the world in which fascinates you the most, its truly a magical thing. Which is why when I saw so many USB key's in one area, I thought that was magical.

Your one of those bright shining stars in the sky FrenchPress, thank you for sharing some of your magic with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I also love the astronomy related subjects :rocket: :ringer_planet:
But my area of speciality is looking into a microscope :microscope: not a telescope :telescope:

1 Like

Thats right, not only is there a universe outside that our planet is a part of.

What not a whole lot of people get to see however, their is also a universe within us.

On the microscopic level, there is a whole teaming of activity that can be seen, bacteria just to name one example.

And then, if you had the ability to see on the subatomic level, you truly see the universe that is within you. And once you see that, you feel a stronger connection to all life that is around you, and within you.

I myself pride myself on being a star child. I am sure you can tell me many stories about the amazing things you have found under a microscope. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just the instructions i posted before.

Actually this is what @CJ1994 asked:

So the manual installation of driver is not what he wants to do.
This brings to my conclusion that I only knows one chipset @300bps that works in Linux OOB: RT5572

TP-Link N300 has a linux sticker on it, that on should work out of the box but the speeds are in half compared to the AC1200.

A few commands in terminal for the AC1200 wont hurt, he can save the file and just use the .sh file to install the usb wifi stick. Almost plug and play :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN821N-Wireless-network-Adapter/dp/B002T4D3M2/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=TP-Link+N300+linux&qid=1637423233&sr=8-5

TP-Link N300 with Linux associated with it, thats a good bet it works with Linux. But one should always double check the Q&A section with the word Linux, to be sure to find answers it does indeed work on Linux.

Also, nobody needs to buy a WIFI adapter designed for AC1200 or WIFI 6, unless they have full gigabit net, and really need the capacity. If you have 300MB internet or slower, then they slower adapters will be all you really need.

1 Like

Quite often the bottle neck of the speed is not a WiFi module but a router or provider or server.

I think one would not tell the difference in speed unless the internet provider offering the decent service such as FTTP and the server on the other side is superfast in addition to the up-to-date router. This might be different for people who play online games though (which I know almost nothing).

1 Like

I did not say he needs to buy it, i "advised" it. Because for the same price he get higher speeds. If his internet will be upgraded in the future he does not need to buy a newer wifi card to receive those speeds. Maybe he already has a good internet speed and needs the higher card. I did not read the threat fully but i saw a message about 3 wifi adapters and if someone knows if one worked. I posted the AC1200 worked for my wifes laptop. With a few small terminal commands to install. I can even upload the files so he does not need the terminal at all

If you can convince your better half to do it, then I agree with you :wink:

I do not know which proficiency level @CJ1994 is, but I still cannot convince my daughter-in-law to run .sh on the Linux Mint which she has been using over 6 years.

a .sh file is the same as a .exe file in windows, install and done haha

Some people are very reluctant to run a script in terminal.
Of course you can say it is not a right attitude, but I still think it is a good thing she adopted Linux - way less maintenance work for me compared with Windows.

Correct, and for a long time there, people would find their CPU used to be the bottle neck. Back in the days of slower CPU's, the CPU's themselves bottle necked, because they couldn't handle the sheer volume of data flow from the broadband internet.

And whats funny is, even though motherboards from 2005 had built in gigabit ethernet, because the PCI gen 1 lane was limited on bandwidth, and the CPU's were slow, with only a single core to work with, the most speed you were ever going to really see from them, was maybe 100MB a second.

This is why back in those days, it was a popular thing to insert a faster gigabit ethernet card, which had its own hardware based acceleration, which took the load off of the CPU. However, because you were still limited to the PCIE gen 1 lane, you were still only going to get maybe 500MB per second.

It wasn't till the dual core machine with PCIE gen 2 came around, didn't gigabit really start becoming a reality. And FrenchPress is right, everything in the setup has to support it, the ISP service, the modem, the router, the switch, and yes even, the cables if connected wired.

1 Like

Ah, I forgot about that!
2 years ago, I did a whole house cable upgrade from cat5 to cat7.
Funny how quickly this kind of thing escaped from my memory.

1 Like

Even though I don't have gigabit internet, couldn't afford it even if I could get access to it, I am running a gigabit network. To try and make sure to keep cables from being a stupid limiting factor, I got cat 7 going between modem to router, and I got cat 7 going between router to switch, and I got cat 7 going from switch, into my computer.

This insures that I am getting the highest possible speed that everything in the chain can push. Often times people neglect their cables, and go for the cheapest option like cat 5, well, cat 5 don't support gigabit speeds.

People are also learning you can't be neglecting on your HDMI and Display Port cables either. Far too many people have gotten screwed on bad cables, that can't push 10gigabits to 40 gigabits per second.

If your cables can't achieve those transfer speeds, you can kiss 4K and 8K goodbye, cause it aint gonna happen lol. Buy good cables, reputable cables, as long as they are made properly, and can handle the transfer load, you will get what you want from them.

1 Like

Exactly that was my thinking!

Replacing cables in a 2 level house is not a simple job and I really wanted to make it future proof.
I certainly do not want to replace the cables every couple of years.

2 Likes

I decided to buy the TP Link WN823N all I had to do was download the driver from TP Link website and working great

2 Likes

I also would like to add that RT5572 (300bps) does not even require a driver. It is included in the Linux kernel.

1 Like

I assume the driver you downloaded from the website was a made for Linux driver right? No messing about with Wine or Windows EXE files? If so, thats good, and you have no idea how good that is.

We have been experiencing some how should way say, imperial entanglements with Wine lately. I was a victim of it as well, so I can speak from direct experience.

Glad your awesome branded TP Link adapter is working great. I am a big fan now of TP-Link hardware.