Incorrect Terminal Command?- Microsoft Font article

Hi everyone!

I'm a Linux noob, so please be patient and kind with me.

In trying to install the Microsoft Fonts according to the Zorin OS install article I'm running into an error in the terminal.

I'm sure this is something simple, but wanted to 1) get some help, and 2) let someone know that the article should be updated.

Any ideas?

Hi and welcome,

The fact that sudo is missing is strange. In fact I just did a new fresh install of ZorinOS and my default user is able to run the sudo command normally.

Have you created any additional users, during the installation of ZorinOS or afterwards? You can check under Settings -> Users what other users exist on your system. If you are able to unlock this menu then you can create a new account with elevated privileges.

If there's no other user with admin privileges then your only option would be to logout from your current session and log in as the root or super user account, which would be able to install programs and amend this issue for future use. Either that, or re-install ZorinOS from scratch. As mentioned there's nothing special you need to do to have access to the sudo command.

EDIT:

Just in case, you can try to re-type your command but providing the full path to the sudo utility:

​/usr/bin/sudo apt update && /usr/bin/sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Command 'sudo not found'

I would highly recommend that you redownload the .iso from the official Zorin OS Website, reburn as bootable USB and reinstall Zorin OS (as this is a pretty fresh install).

Perhaps due to packet loss during the download or perhaps due to a file being written during installation that ended up corrupted; this demonstrates that a pretty big hole was left during installation. Nothing you did would cause that - most likely a network drop error did.
You may find suggestions to install sudo and they may work. But if that did not go right on install - what else didn't?
Much better to wipe and reinstall than to try to chase unknown fixes.

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks so much for the help @zenzen! I previously had linux mint installed with windows 11 over it. I wiped those to install Zorin (selected to replace during install), but for some reason can still see an option to log into Linux Mint when I boot. I'm also seeing some ACPI BIOS errors (AE Already Exists), so I don't know what to make of those two things.

Looking in users, there are no other users. I was able to add an admin user, and logging in as that user and adding the command via terminal worked fine.

Upon logging back into my main account, I'm only seeing one monitor (I'm having a separate situation with the monitors and my NVidia graphics is using a manual driver, and won't let me select thier proprietary drivers).

Is there an easy way to copy all the settings, apps, etc. I have on this profile to that one, without also cloning the permissions issue? If not, I can go through and set everything up again on that profile (although that's ALL I've been doing since yesterday! :slight_smile: )

Thanks again for the help!

Thanks @Aravisian. Reinstallation seems like a good idea, but is there an easy way to avoid all the setup I've been doing for 2 days? Will a timeshift backup to an external drive bring these issues back to a new system?

Thanks @337harvey . Running separately helped once I switched to the other user

If this is not your primary account but a separate user account- that may explain the issue.
If the account you used is not added to the sudoers file, it may not be able to use sudo.

I agree with this. Even after installing without downloading additional packages or proprietary third party repository packages, sudo should've been installed. You are also now mentioning a few other things that went wrong... It's just too weird that this wasn't installed at all.

A Timeshift backup would work but how can you be sure the system was not already broken on that snapshot?

I think the "other account" here refers to the one that was created after the issue was reported, already with admin rights. But if sudo is missing, then even a passwordless entry may not work.

On the other hand, now that this user account with admin privileges exist you can try to install sudo by running apt install sudo (I'm not entirely sure this is the exact package name) and add your normal user to the sudoers file, as described above. If anything, with this you can at least delay having to re-install ZorinOS for now.

Just to clarify, you shouldn't be running your system on a user with elevated privileges. It's best for security to have a non-admin user account and reach for sudo when needed.

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, I created another user profile and then switched to it.

I decided to reinstall but now I'm running into an issue where it won't get past the acpi errors to actually boot.

I have an EVGA RTX 2080 Super on a MSI proz690 wifi ddr4 motherboard with a 12th gen Intel i-7 12700k and 32gb of ddr4 3200 ram (sorry if any of this is irrelevant).

I can get into the bios, and the install drive runs and installs, but when i go for the first boot without the drive it lands on the bios errors and just stays there.

Are you using Nvidia card?

1 Like

Yes, an rtx 2080 super.

When i try to install using the nvidia graphics option fron the jump drive, it doesn't work (hangs up on these acpi errors), but I can install from safe graphics or regular mode (which worked previously, but not this time).

Should I try to unplug it and reinstall?

@Aravisian just an uodate:

I removed the gpu and it booted right up. I'm currently installing zorin with the nvidia drivers while the gpu is removed.

Will test boot up, then install gpu and see if there are additional issues from there and report back

Ok, that works. Sorry for the late reply.
Once booted up, launch a terminal and run

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

sudo ubuntu-drivers install

Launch Software & Updates and then move to the Additional Drivers tab.
It will take it a moment to load...
Then select the 470 (proprietary) driver and test.
You can try out the 525 and 530 to see how well they work later if you want to.

1 Like

@Aravisian so it boots and runs fine without the gpu, but installing the gpu brings back the acpi errors.

The sudo commands worked, but ubuntu-drivers said no drivers found for installation (the gpu isnt plugged in), and additional drivers says no additional drivers available.

Any way to find and install that driver directly?

Note: I did successfully install the "with advanced NVidia drivers" option, but it doesn't seem to be changing this behavior.

Thanks a ton for all of your help, btw. I'm really hoping this works. I'm ready to switch from Windows if at all possible.

Well.. the GPU needs to be plugged in...

Don't worry about those ACPI errors. Plug the GPU in and get your drivers set up.

Those ACPI errors cannot cause a no boot issue. They just happen to be the ones you saw on the screen.
The ACPI errors show that the computer Manufacturer did not include some of the expected values in the ACPI tables. The system will then fallback to default - so they are harmless.
You can get rid of the ACPI errors or AE not found with

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

arrow key down to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

And add these two parameters: loglevel=3 and nomodeset
The loglevel parameter handles the ACPI and AE errors.
The nomodeset handles the Nvidia Diver not loading prior to init.

So it will look exactly like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset loglevel=3"

Once done, tap ctrl+o to overwrite, then the enter key to save current configuration. Then tap ctrl+x to exit the editor.
Now you must run

sudo update-grub

for the changes to take effect.
The next time you reboot, you should be free of the ACPI and AE errors.

1 Like

Thanks. It wont go past the acpi errors screen to boot up when the gpu is plugged in. Just sits there, and pressing enter and random keys does nothing.

I have the gpu out right now, so i will update the grub and then see if it boots with the gpu in.

I'll do this in the morning and update. Thanks again.

THANK YOU everyone! I'm up and running!

A summary for future users:

• An ACPI error screen was showing, and my PC just wouldn't move past it to boot
  • in Zorin OS, the Additional Drivers page (software & updated>additional drivers) was showing a pre-installed driver and wouldn't search / update for proprietary drivers (I didn't know this was a key issue until it was resolved)
  • Was unable to install using NVidia drivers option while NVIDIA GPU was installed, & unable to boot into the OS while the GPU was installed

Resolution

1. Remove the GPU, install with NVIDIA drivers, and boot into the system
  2. Resolve the splash screen ACPI errors with:

You can get rid of the ACPI errors or AE not found with

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
arrow key down to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
And add these two parameters: loglevel=3 and nomodeset
The loglevel parameter handles the ACPI and AE errors.
The nomodeset handles the Nvidia Diver not loading prior to init.
So it will look exactly like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset loglevel=3"
Once done, tap ctrl+o to overwrite, then the enter key to save current >configuration. Then tap ctrl+x to exit the editor.
Now you must run
sudo update-grub
for the changes to take effect.
The next time you reboot, you should be free of the ACPI and AE errors.

1. Reboot system to confirm
  2. Reinstall GPU and boot into Zorin OS
  3. Update NVIDIA Drivers with:

Once booted up, launch a terminal and run

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo ubuntu-drivers install
Launch Software & Updates and then move to the Additional Drivers tab.
It will take it a moment to load...
Then select the 470 (proprietary) driver and test.
You can try out the 525 and 530 to see how well they work later if you want to.

A HUGE shout out to @Aravisian and a big thank you to everyone who helped! I'm thankful to be up and running again!

1 Like

As an update on the original issue that brought me here: installing microsoft fonts:

Using the commands together copied from the support article still does NOT work for me (produces the same error), but using them separately works fine (other sudo commands work fine as well).

@staff

I decided to look closer into this.
When I click the Copy prompt on the command on that page, I get

​<200b>sudo apt update && sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

Pasted into my terminal.
But if I paste it in notepad or here on the board, the

<200b>

does not appear.

This is repeatable for me and happens each and every time.
It also occurs whether I use ctrl+shift+v or Right Click > Paste.

I bet that is the cause of the issue. I have never had any trouble linking sudo commands with && before so, I figured something else had to be at play, here.

3 Likes

Thanks for looking into that, and thanks again for all of your help with getting set up. I am thrilled to be using Zorin OS without issue.

I still have a few things to set up, and may still need to run windows on dual boot, but I think Zorin will be my main OS. It's beautiful and feels great.

Thanks again

1 Like