Installation and Distro recommendations

Dude, but there are main difference in the core.

1 Like

that's what i wanna do but I can only use a single pendrive, and how long should I torment it? so I decided to only use it one last time.

1 Like

This is a very good point.
Solid State Drives are limited in the number of re-writes.

And Kedric don't you dare post after me saying, "No, they're not..."

2 Likes

forgot to mention I also used Solus GNOME Edition. also after ubuntu, for downloading and installing all the OS from Zorin to Fedora, I used a single pendrive :rofl:

>: (

Just try some, if there are too many. Think about the pros and the cons of using this particular distro.

Samsung PRO drives are designed to accommodate a total of 2TB of re-writes if my memory is correct, before the drive begins to start reaching end of life, and starting to show noticeable degradation.

What is cool about these modern drives however, is unlike the old mechanic drives that would just simply loose your data when a sector died, SSD drives will move your data around to safe spots on the drive to keep it safe.

Modern SSD drives, from what I understand, will not allow your data to become corrupted. Your SSD drive would have to suffer a complete cascade collapse in order for that to happen. But many experts state that usually when the drive reaches end of life, you can't write to it anymore.

But usually it still can be read, for what data is already on it.

1 Like

At one point it will still die, SSDs and HDD are consumables.

2 Likes

This is all true- but 100wCharge stated "pendrive."

1 Like

yup i did :wink:

If you want to test A LOT of distros, I recommend using a VM.

Install Gnome Boxes:
Debian & deritatives: $ sudo apt-get install gnome-boxes ←(Installs Gnome Boxes)
Red Hat & deritatives: $ sudo dnf install gnome-boxes
Arch & deritatives: $ sudo pacman -S gnome-boxes

1 Like

oh VM's are a much worse place, cuz my hardware is not that fast to accomodate some OS in VM. I have Intel Core i3-7020U, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 4GB RAM, and one slow 1TB HDD. I have tried fedora, solus and ubuntu in vmware and gnome-boxes. and it always made my pc in an unusable state.

(p.s. we have reached half a century full of conversations, just for a good distro recommendation. its not a problem even if it reaches 100 coversations, but if it comes to a conclusion)

Oh my gosh, now you know why I don't like buying flash drives anymore, also known as pen drives, thumb drives, whatever you want to call them, they are super limmited write cycles, and I hate that! I've lost drives because of that, and it makes me mad.

Now you know why I buy external USB SSD drives now. They can be used exactly like a pen drive, plug in and go! But, a real SSD drive, is wicked fast, can operate at the speed of the PCIE gen 3 of gen 4 lanes in your notebook, and they have a long life.

Samsung rated my 850 Pro for up to a 10-year warranty, thats how confident they were in their product. Unfortunately, I've heard that new Samsung drives, even the PRO model's, now come with a 5-year warranty instead, which means their confidence level went down by 5-years, maybe due to quality?

I am hoping that at least Samsung server drives, you know the top of the line ones that cost as much as a TV, hopefully they have at least a rated 10-year lifespan on the warranty.

4GB of RAM? Well you can forget VM's then lol.

Recommended minimum for VM's is 32GB of RAM.

Recommended average for VM's is 64GB of RAM.

Recommended hardcore for VM's 128GB of RAM.

2 Likes

I have 4 GB of RAM, and I can run a VM if I limit the VM to 2 GB of my RAM.

128 GIGS??? Bruh they would cost around a whole pc altogether lol.

1 Like

No need for 32 GB, 16 GB is enough for most of the distros and the VM.

Whats the fun in that Kedric? The OS is gonna be so sluggish it be like trying to push through mallassis. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, NO I CAN'T, I SHOULD TURN BACK. Oh crud, I am all out of steam. lol

1 Like

16 GB would cost half of my laptop :rofl: and i think 8GB (or 16GB) is a sweet spot :wink:

Not rly, DDR4 is not that expensive. In Malaysia, we have a bunch of two stick packs which are cheaper. Cost about USD $ 40

Did you miss the word HARDCORE?

HARDCORE, as in, people who selected a machine souly for the purposes of ONLY running VM's. The machine runs oodles of VM's at one time, as are each accessible on a network, via a thin client machine.