Installer stuck! – What am I missing?

As for the defragging of SSD, you could still do so-called
defrag freespace without wearing it out.

This is what I use in Windows.
https://www.ccleaner.com/defraggler

1 Like

Personally, I find the Gnome Disks Utility much easier to understand and use. That's why I installed it in Kubuntu as well.
Why?
It is easier to understand because the GUI is similar to the Windows 'Disk management tool'.

Update time! After one of the defrags like @Aravisian said (with Windows Optimizer) I finally managed to get into the demo version of Zorin for the first time (by accident :sweat_smile:) and then managed to install it. It's in my boot options now, however when I try to boot it and choose "Zorin" in the Zorin menu, I only get a black screen.

I think it might be because I unchecked "third party apps/drivers etc" and I can't seem to find a way to fix that on my own. Any pointers?

(I also tried the installer many more times but still always got stuck at the install directory part)

1 Like

Did another defrag with Defraggler. Sadly still no difference regarding the installer.

That sounds good. I would love to be able to mess with the disks when already in Ubuntu, but I can't open it from the installer (is that possible?)/can't even open the terminal to do it that way. I'd do it in demo mode but after choosing "Try Zorin" I just get this:

I tried nomodeset again like described by Aravisian here, but sadly it didn‘t help either.

I read the error messages.
You might want to enable virtualization capability of CPU in BIOS. At least it should eliminate this top error message. Mine is always enabled in BIOS for Linux.
More detailed explanation is here:

[edit]
You might need to disable TPM (which I've never enabled for Linux):

1 Like

Yes.
There are likely two things that can be causing this:

• Your BIOS must be updated

or

• Closed-Source drivers need to be installed

Also... You DID make sure Secure Boot is disabled in BIOS settings, right? I see VMX was blocked by BIOS in your photo...

But this should not affect the installation even it is on.
It is for virtualization and I always enable those on my 2 desktops.
Intel VT-d
AMD IOMMU

See explanation here:

It is not what is blocked that bothers me, but that BIOS is blocking things.

Ah, now I see what you mean.

I wonder if it has the latest BIOS:

1 Like

State at the moment: VMX enabled, TPM disabled, Secure Boot disabled, no Windows (last Zorin install managed to finally wipe it) or other OS installed. Did the HP Support Assistant check for new updates/drivers and nothing (no BIOS update) came up. Still, I get stuck here now (furthest I've gotten so far):

The very last step... :confounded:

Edit: I left the installer like this for over an hour with no change.

When you click on that triangle at the beginning of the message, you should be able to see what actually going on in the terminal window.

Tried that, but the mouse stays a circle and when I click it doesn't open. But when I hover over the wifi/sound/battery bar in the top right corner it reacts, as if the program is still responding.

Can you open terminal?
If so, type
to see which processes are currently running.

Can anyone elaborate on that? I'd like to do it if I knew how.

Add drivers into the installer?
I've heard such thing could be done but would be not be very simple.

Then I put in my name, then password but it didn't show as I typed. Enter, nothing happened. Now it refreshed and is once again asking for my login.

You lost me.
Did you finish installing and rebooted?

Nope, opened the terminal (installer in background) and it was asking for login like in the picture.