Installing KDE or Plasma Desktop on Zorin OS

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux this is correct guide?

Yes. Admittedly, I do not use the tasksel method, but there is nothing wrong with using it.
I would advise caution, though.

Users can install many desktops on Zorin OS without a hitch... Cinnamon, Mate, LXDE-gtk3, XFCE, Budgie, Enlightenment...
But Plasma-Desktop is a beast. It installs a great deal of system files, themes and KDE-specific applications.
It can be tedious to get it all out...

If you want to Test KDE desktops on Zorin OS, I would opt for doing so in a virtual Environment or on a Test Build machine.
That way when you finish testing, you have no need to worry about trying to remove it all from your main rig.

2 Likes

Indeed @Aravisian
A lot could go wrong with adding KDE to the mix, especially to those coming from Windows :smiley:
However, imho, when something goes wrong, nothing beats MAC OS. I mean, I use mac minis with triple boot, and when MAC OS fails (which happens the least out of the 3 OSs, by a long shot), it does so spectacularly.
Anyhow, it should work with only sudo apt install kde-full. At least it worked for me. 22.04 is better at handling KDE than 20.04, so you should be fine @Bourne

2 Likes

We are beginning to stray pretty far from the thread topic with this tangent.
(EDIT: Thread split to new topic)

A minor point, Current Zorin OS 16 is based on 20.04.

I forgot about this... thanks for posting that.

I would be overjoyed if the ZorinGroup tackled the prospect of a Plasma Desktop for Zorin OS. That said, I still advise caution to users installing KDE Plasma on Zorin OS.

2 Likes

Start installing KDE.

1 Like

I am installed KDE and in Zorin I have many more software and things.

1 Like

Just don't use Kmail and avoid Discover - use apper instead of Discover - you may need to install separately.

1 Like

Ok but someone before sayed don't installing full because i get double software,application etc. Well propably i will uninstall that. With a couple words I don't do that. I am simple man like Leonard Cohen singing. I was KDE on Zorin it changed Desktop completly.

1 Like

Oh god yes it was... painful

1 Like

I am finding that in my preliminary testing of Zorin 16.2 that all functions work well. The only issue seems to be with the online accounts tool. I can read files and my google drive, but can't backup. I tried using a kubuntu virtual machine and this functionality works well. You have to upload the change from your local machine to google drive, but KDE online accounts works as you would expect it to.

I was considering installing just the kde online account tool on zorin (not the whole Plasma DE) to see if I can use certain Plasma apps that I prefer. After your experience, I am reluctant to try it as I may clobber the VM and have to reinstall it.

It may be gnome-related. I tried this same experiment with a POP os vm and got the same results as with Zorin connect. The only thing I haven't tried is a gnome-based distro with the latest gnome 4x DE. Getting the same results on the latest gnome DE would confirm with near 100% certainty that the issue is in the gnome toolset itself.

I do agree. It would be worthwhile to create a KDE-based version of Zorin that is styled in a manner similar to Core.

I installed the plasma desktop on zorin following the instructions in the well-written tutorial. However, the version of plasma is 5.18. Kubuntu 22.04 uses version 5.25, which has later Qt tools. The online accounts tool works there. Version 5.18 does not include the plasma online account tool.

I could try testing a Zorin 17 nightly build if it's far enough along for me to test the zorin online accounts tool there.

Then this is possibile installing only Kernel Zorin and kde DE?
Maybe this video or this channel help you.