Installing KDE or Plasma Desktop on Zorin OS

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-20-04-focal-fossa-linux this is correct guide?

Yes. Admittedly, I do not use the tasksel method, but there is nothing wrong with using it.
I would advise caution, though.

Users can install many desktops on Zorin OS without a hitch... Cinnamon, Mate, LXDE-gtk3, XFCE, Budgie, Enlightenment...
But Plasma-Desktop is a beast. It installs a great deal of system files, themes and KDE-specific applications.
It can be tedious to get it all out...

If you want to Test KDE desktops on Zorin OS, I would opt for doing so in a virtual Environment or on a Test Build machine.
That way when you finish testing, you have no need to worry about trying to remove it all from your main rig.

2 Likes

Indeed @Aravisian
A lot could go wrong with adding KDE to the mix, especially to those coming from Windows :smiley:
However, imho, when something goes wrong, nothing beats MAC OS. I mean, I use mac minis with triple boot, and when MAC OS fails (which happens the least out of the 3 OSs, by a long shot), it does so spectacularly.
Anyhow, it should work with only sudo apt install kde-full. At least it worked for me. 22.04 is better at handling KDE than 20.04, so you should be fine @Bourne

2 Likes

We are beginning to stray pretty far from the thread topic with this tangent.
(EDIT: Thread split to new topic)

A minor point, Current Zorin OS 16 is based on 20.04.

I forgot about this... thanks for posting that.

I would be overjoyed if the ZorinGroup tackled the prospect of a Plasma Desktop for Zorin OS. That said, I still advise caution to users installing KDE Plasma on Zorin OS.

1 Like

Start installing KDE.

I am installed KDE and in Zorin I have many more software and things.

1 Like

Just don't use Kmail and avoid Discover - use apper instead of Discover - you may need to install separately.

1 Like

Ok but someone before sayed don't installing full because i get double software,application etc. Well propably i will uninstall that. With a couple words I don't do that. I am simple man like Leonard Cohen singing. I was KDE on Zorin it changed Desktop completly.

1 Like

Oh god yes it was... painful

1 Like