I had Linux Mint running on my laptop. After seeing a couple of video's I was charmed by Zorin OS, so I decided to switch. Great idea!
Having spend the entire day trying to install Zorin, I'm really at my wits end....
My believe is that it has something to do with my G210m graphics card, but you can be the judge after reading my journey. So it started with
- Installing Zorin OS > success > reboot > black screen with mouse cursor
- I wasn't able to do anything, so decided to re-install. Thinking I messed up.
- Installing Zorin OS safe graphics > same as above
- Installing Zorin OS nvidia graphics > error and crash at installing
So back to the first option and googling in the mean time
- Installing Zorin OS
- Able to login on the black screen by typing blind > enter > password > enter
- I come to desktop and all seems well except:
- Broken = screen brightness (F-keys show brightness bar, but nothing changes) * Broken = login screen
- Zorin OS says additional drivers are available. Regarding graphics drivers...
It gives me 2 choises:
- Nvidia 3.40 > won't install
- Xorg driver > already selected (and installed?) so need another fix
- After googling I found several "fixes" for "black screen at login"
sudo ubuntu-driver autoinstall > nothing get's updated
"go to recovery" it's easy... Shift and escape do nothing... googling again and I found grub2 - Grub menu at boot time... "holding shift" not working - Ask Ubuntu so
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
comment out GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
Set GRUB_TIMEOUT 10
get into recovery so I do [SOLVED] Black screen after install - #2 by Aravisian and change ro quiet splash etc.
Does not fix anything.
Found out about "lightdm" and "gdm3".
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm > doesn't do anything, so
sudo apt-get install --reinstall lightdm > works
During install I choose "lightdm" as default
YES I HAVE A LOGIN SCREEN
BUT I CAN'T LOGIN because "Failed to start session"
Son of a....
So, that's it. A linux noob trying to install Zorin on his old laptop. NOT a happy journey. And I'm at a point I want to say screw it, back to Linux Mint. Boot, install and done. No hassle.
Hopefully someone can point me into the right direction, because I can't figure it out. My guess is still that I need to install the correct Nvidia Driver, but I don't know which one and how. The one Zorin offers me won't install.