Installing Zorin OS 16 on Asus UL30VT impossible?

I had Linux Mint running on my laptop. After seeing a couple of video's I was charmed by Zorin OS, so I decided to switch. Great idea!

Having spend the entire day trying to install Zorin, I'm really at my wits end....

My believe is that it has something to do with my G210m graphics card, but you can be the judge after reading my journey. So it started with

• Installing Zorin OS > success > reboot > black screen with mouse cursor
  • I wasn't able to do anything, so decided to re-install. Thinking I messed up.
  • Installing Zorin OS safe graphics > same as above
  • Installing Zorin OS nvidia graphics > error and crash at installing

So back to the first option and googling in the mean time

• Installing Zorin OS
  • Able to login on the black screen by typing blind > enter > password > enter
  • I come to desktop and all seems well except:
  • Broken = screen brightness (F-keys show brightness bar, but nothing changes) * Broken = login screen
  • Zorin OS says additional drivers are available. Regarding graphics drivers...
    It gives me 2 choises:
  1. Nvidia 3.40 > won't install
  2. Xorg driver > already selected (and installed?) so need another fix
  • After googling I found several "fixes" for "black screen at login"
  1. sudo ubuntu-driver autoinstall > nothing get's updated

2. "go to recovery" it's easy... Shift and escape do nothing... googling again and I found grub2 - Grub menu at boot time... "holding shift" not working - Ask Ubuntu so
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    comment out GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
    Set GRUB_TIMEOUT 10
    sudo update-grub
    reboot
    shift works
    get into recovery so I do [SOLVED] Black screen after install - #2 by Aravisian and change ro quiet splash etc.
    Does not fix anything.

3. Found out about "lightdm" and "gdm3".
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm > doesn't do anything, so
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall lightdm > works
    During install I choose "lightdm" as default
    sudo reboot
    YES I HAVE A LOGIN SCREEN
    BUT I CAN'T LOGIN because "Failed to start session"
    Son of a....

So, that's it. A linux noob trying to install Zorin on his old laptop. NOT a happy journey. And I'm at a point I want to say screw it, back to Linux Mint. Boot, install and done. No hassle.

Hopefully someone can point me into the right direction, because I can't figure it out. My guess is still that I need to install the correct Nvidia Driver, but I don't know which one and how. The one Zorin offers me won't install.

1 Like

From terminal, can you run:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

If you are having login troubles from lightdm, you may wish to revert back to the default Display manager:

sudo apt install gdm

Follow the prompts to make gdm default again.

Edit grub:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset quiet splash"
IF you are editing grub from the grub menu instead of through nano in the terminal, by either hitting e or esc at boot, then it will just be as in the thread you linked to.

Reboot with all your fingers and toes crossed...

1 Like

From terminal, can you run:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

I did this and rebooted. Still can't get passed the login screen "failed to start session"

If you are having login troubles from lightdm, you may wish to revert back to the default Display manager:

sudo apt install gdm

I get "package gdm is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source. E: Package 'gdm" has no installation candidate"

Re-install and start from scratch?

1 Like

What about:

sudo apt install gdm3

Yes, sudo apt install gdm3 works but says it's already installed.

Edited the grub file like you said and rebooted. I come to the login screen (which I can still see :slight_smile: ) but I still can't login. After entering my password I get "failed to start session".

Can you try

sudo apt install --reinstall zorin-os-desktop

That should resolve that.

1 Like

Unfortunately, no luck. Command works, but after reboot still "failed to start session"

Wow. Um... My jaw dropped. Alright:

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-shell

1 Like

Yeah I know the feeling. Down the rabbit hole called "solution cause more problems" haha.

Tried that, command works, but still can't login. At this point, should I just start with a fresh install and try to tackle the "black screen at login" again?

1 Like

Yep, as it is a viable option - and easier...
Let's go that route but follow in thread as we go.

1 Like

Cool, I'll start the re-install process now.

2 Likes

Install is done. Again confronted with a black login screen. Only cursor is visible.

I can login if I want to ( enter > password > enter ).

2 Likes

We need to do the GRUB EDIT again, where you hit either e or esc at the Grub menu.
Again, read through until you find, "quiet splash"
This time, change it to: "quiet splash pci=nomsi"

1 Like

Okay, just writing out what I'm doing exactly:

• On the black login screen I did Ctrl+Alt+F2
  • Terminal showed and I logged in
  • sudo nano the grub file.
  • changed quiet splash
  • saved file
  • reboot

Still, black login screen with only cursor showing.

1 Like

Doing it in this manner will not save the changes for boot, only in the file.
If doing by the above method, you will need to also run

sudo update-grub

1 Like

My bad. Checked the grub file again, the change was still there. Did a sudo update-grub. After that rebooted. Unfortunately still a black login screen.

I am not sure on this one.
I understand you need the Nvidia 340 driver. That Graphics card has a bit of age to it... Perhaps enough so that Nvidia has dropped all support.
But I would think That Nouveau Drivers should be able to...
Yet you also said sudo ubuntu-driver autoinstall did nothing (A small note, it should be sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall, so it may be that there is a typo, there if you could please check.

1 Like

Already glad you're trying to help. Really appreciate it :slight_smile:

So I did this:

• Ctrl+Alt+F2 on login screen
  • Terminal > login > sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
  • This ends after 10 minutes with an error trying to install nvidia 3.40
  • Forgot to write the error down, naturally, because I wanted to reboot, login and try it again.
  • Reboot
  • Zorin Logo
  • Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system admin.

So yeah, forgot to mention that little fact. After running this command the entire system gets corrupted it seems. I ran into that exact same problem too today after running that same command. Only option was another re-install. And I don't see any other way around that now aswell...

Could this be a Zorin OS thing? Because my laptop was running Linux Mint just fine and had no issue at all with graphics and brightness. I don't care about switching graphics etc. I just want graphics (login screen) and working brightness control.

Maybe see if I get the same issue with a fresh Linux Mint install or not? If not than we can be sure it's a Zorin OS related issue, right?

1 Like

Just for fun... You might try Zorin OS Lite (XFCE).
I mean... you are getting lots of Zorin OS Installation practice...

2 Likes

Ok, I'll give that a try. Will report back tomorrow.

2 Likes