Installing Zorin to its own drive, dual boot

Third time has not been the charm---I have a Dell with 1tb running windows 11, I added a 500gb ssd to put zorin on. I got my windows running on AHCI, I go to install under "something else." It installs, the boot menu comes up--if I select windows, it works. If I select zorin, it goes to the Dell logo, and no further.

Windows classically uses SECURE BOOT which is found in your bios. You need to go into your bios and disable secure boot. Also, if you have a FAST BOOT its a good idea to disable that as well, as sometimes it can cause issues as well.

Try your installation again. If it still doesn't work, we can figure out what to do next.

1 Like

Make sure you are installing in UEFI also. If you are using a USB the software used create the boot device should have an option for this.

1 Like

I avoid this kind of situation by modifying my system (Caution: some tinkering required).

Secure boot was/is off Fast boot was/is off. And, it was installed using UEFI

Sata? nvme or eMMc?

SATA , it is identified by the name zorin 16, which was evidently placed the by the zorin install program.

What graphics card(s) are you using?

Nvidia--Everything functions well when I run it from the USB stick. (Live)

You can enter the recovery menu for Zorin:

From the Recovery Menu, arrow key down to Enable networking. Once enabled, back up to the Recovery Menu, then arrow key down to Drop to Propmpt.
Hit Enter.
Then type in:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

Please be careful of any typos... Normally you could copy paste it to make life easier.
Then:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Hopefully, this will install the Graphics drivers that will help you proceed to reach the desktop.

Thanks, trying it now, hopefully.

That worked--although for some reason it removed or disabled the AHCI driver(s), so I'll have to go back to safe boot to get the drivers reinstalled. But anyway, thank you for your help--I just had no idea where to go next, and now I can run Zorin. Thanks again.
Carl Bradley

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.