Internal microphone not working on new install

I am afraid I don't think many on here may have an iMac with Zorin OS installed, so support may rely on web searches and results like that I posted above. I have not seen any simple solution.

Which version and flavour of ZorinOS do you have e.g. Z15.3 Core, Lite etc or Z16 Beta

You can then refine your search term to say either Ubuntu 18.04 or Ubuntu 20.04 in place of Z15 or Z16.

Edit:
Another link which seems to arrive at same Sound solution:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Intel_iMac

Scroll down to "Sound" you will see:

Sound

If you have an aluminum iMac and you do not have sound :
open /etc/modprobe.d/options :
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options
and add "options snd-hda-intel model=imac24" to the file and save ( ctrl+o and ctrl+x to exit )
then reboot.
2 Likes

My O/S is Z15.3 Core, I appreciate your monumental help. Unfortunately my understanding is basic. Not sure how to execute the sound solution you provided. i open sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/options in terminal but then I dont know how to proceed exactly.

When you have never done something before, it looks daunting. Like riding a bike.
When you open /etc/modprobe.d/options in terminal using nano, it creates a text editor in the terminal.
Since it is based on actual input instead of a standard GUI, you must use your Arrow Keys to navigate the cursor.
I believe that in Zorin 15, the referenced file is not used unless it has the .conf extension.
If you would prefer a GUI method, then you can open the Gedit text editor as root.
In terminal, enter

sudo -i

This will elevate the terminal to the Root Directory. Now, launch the text editor with

gedit

Paste the following into it:
options snd-hda-intel model=imac24

Now click Save and it will open a popover window. At teh very top, type the name of the file: options.conf
Now navigate the tree to the location to save it to: Hit "other locations" on the treeview on the left. Then, in the main window, select "computer."
Double click etc
Scroll all the way down to modprobe.d and double click that.
Now you can click save and the file is created and saved.

1 Like

This was so helpful and thanks for introducing me to this process, unfortunately with this application it didn't work. There is a patch here Ubuntu Forums
but I dont have the expertise to try? perhaps I should go back to apple O/S. Shame because I love Zorin

Just as above, some say that using the line:
options snd-hda-intel model=mbp101 works.

Another user suggested installing pavucontrol, then opening it and
in the Input Devices tab choosing Microphone (unplugged) instead of Line In (plugged in).

1 Like

Still no joy!

Have you checked through PulseAudio Control?

sudo apt install pavucontrol

Then run with

pavucontrol

Yes, audio/mic options still not evident

Have you tried out Z16 Core Beta from a USB. I am wondering if later kernel etc may be of benefit to you. It would not be too difficult for you to test that.

1 Like

nope, still nothing

Do you have an external mic or headset/mic you can try?

Hi Z, yes I bought an external mic and it works

What does your Settings>Sound>Inputs tab screen look like?
(You only attached Outputs tab screenshot in your post #9 above)

Also what does Alsamixer look like with the external mic working?

mic 22

With soundcard selected (F6)

And mic recognised

When you select "Internal Microphone - Built-in Audio", what do you get?
I assume that is the one that you have problem with.

I get nothing, equally if I select computer speakers, there is no sound

only USB mic and speakers work

Seems like your internal sound is not being detected at all. Whilst I have overcome a starnge sound problem myself using Alsamixer, I feel I am at a loss to help you.
All I can suggest is doing further websearches using your machine, sound card and Ubuntu 18.04 (for Z15) or Ubuntu 20.04 (for Z16) as search terms. That may be limited by your machine being a Imac.

1 Like

Appreciate all of your help. I feel I may reinstall mac osx then dual boot with Zorin. My current expertise is too limited for anything else.

A post was split to a new topic: Microphone does not work Zorin 16