Issues with Sound on Pro 16

Sorry to have failed you. I will continue learning by doing on these forums. Maybe someday, I'll get it figured out and be able to post the solution to someone else first try.
And then they will throw some other curve ball lol...

1 Like

No worries sir, your time and effort are much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, as a last resort, you could also use USB sound card to connect your speaker/head phone. The starting price is about 2 Euro here in France.

2 Likes

I did not know such a thing existed.
Tried looking it up:

I am almost an expert to it :wink:

The most difficult part of Hackintosh installation is to make sound working.
Real Mac does not have a separate sound card - it is integrated in the logic board circuit. That is how Mac can play that characteristic opening sound before the system starts.

There are some work around using VooDoo driver but it never could play anything decent on Hackintosh. My solution was an external USB connected sound card (DAC: digital analogue convertor).

Another great thing is almost all USB connected sound card is compatible with Mac as well as Linux (but Windows needs a driver for it).

2 Likes

I have an audio issue I never could get resolved. Its everytime I restart, my sound output gets reset. I actually Googled the issue and found a post, but its resolution didn't work for me. So once I am in the OS, I have to select HDMI output every time.

At least my audio works, as long as I have the right output selected lol.

Actually USB connected DAC is way more stable than any other output from my experience.

Ok so finally had the chance to try Zorin in live environment and basically, when I look at the sound settings, it shows Dummy output so basically I never had sound with Zorin 16 Pro. I will try Core at some point. Flying out to Dallas. Will report back later.

Core is basically the same as Pro version.
Your might want to check Lite version (currently version 15,3).

Since you purchased a Pro version, you could ask for help to Zorin group. Installation assistance is included in price.

Thanks will consider that for sure.

Here's my collection of DACs.
As I said in my previous posting all of them work OOB in both Mac and Linux (but not in Windows).

Price between 6 Euro to 20 Euro (low end). I think 2 Euro ones from eBay got broken and I no longer have them.

This is what I use for my main machine along with studio monitor speakers (Adam A3X). I think I paid something like 120 Euro. A middle range - very high end has one more zero in price :moneybag:

1 Like

@FrenchPress

Since your in the mood to talk about sound, I'll let you in on a little secret, I'm an audiophile. Yes, it means I got some high in gear too, pssst, tell noone. HAHA!

S.M.S.L M200 DAC...

S.M.S.L SP200 AMP...

Its about 600 US dollars for the pair of them, they are a combo stack, although I don't stack them. System works with both headphones and bluetooth speaker in wired connection mode.

HDMI from computer outputs to TV. From there it outputs via optical cable to DAC. From there, it then outputs into my vintage Realistic 12-band Equalizer box. This is where the magic happens.

And then the sound outputs from there into my SP200 AMP. And I either have my V-Moda LP2 cans with their 50mm drivers plugged into it, or I listen on my W-King bluetooth speaker in wired mode.

V-Moda LP2 50mm Driver Headphones

Pic of SP200 AMP now modified with a golden aluminum volume knob instead of the original cheap plastic one. My V-Moda cans now upgraded with Wicked Cushion Pads, and a Headband Cushion!

We also use S.M.S.L Q5 amplifier to resuscitate a high-end audio setup in the living room.

My monitor headphone, Bay Dynamics DT 880 Pro next to a vacuum tube headphone amplifier.

I love warm sound of a vacuum tube - but it takes about 30 minutes to warm up. Not very practical if you are in hurry :laughing:

If you enjoy warm sound, that is where you will get it, from a tube amp. Whats crazy is vaccum tubes are still being made, but the only countries making them that I am aware of are, Russia, and China.

Hey, those are a good can, and those look like velore pads. Velore gives you a more comfortable fit, and works great on open backs like that. I used a closed back can, and bass is improved when a proper seal is made, so leather for me lol.

I cannot take a closed type. It is too oppressive for me. Semi-open type is my compromise.

Do not forget so-called "dead stock" from USA.
I had an option for either American or Russian tube. I took Russian one since it is more exotic :crazy_face:

Lol, I appreciate the advice, but I travel quite a bit and use my laptop for work. I need built-in speakers to work for meetings. It isn't ideal or better yet counter-productive to not have them

I suppose a vacuum tube amplifier is not very portable nor energy efficient :rofl:

They do make portable amps, like the Fiio A5 for example...
Fiio A5 AMP

Its got nowhere near the power that my S.M.S.L SP200 desktop AMP has, but it has enough to power many sets of headphones. The other option, if you need speakers for meetings, dude, get one of those Anker Sound Cores.

The Anker Sound Core is much smaller then the W-King bluetooth speakers. But the Anker Sound Core is a bluetooth speaker, easily small enough to make it portable, and you can use it instead.

Most notebooks and tablets have garbage speakers. I am sorry, but there is only so much sound you can get out of a 0.3" to 1.5" speaker.

Anker Sound Core Speaker

I did have Fiio portable amplifier.
Unfortunately it malfunctioned after 6 month and I had to return it for refund. Like many Chinese products, quality control is non-existent. It is like buying a lottery.

Did you by the way, try Alsamixer?
It sits in a deeper layer than PulseAudio and it could solve your output issue.