Kernel 5.18 and Zorin

Good day,

I would like to know if it is currently possible to manually install a more updated Kernel for use in Zorin OS. Specifically I am interested in 5.18 for this reason. 5.18 brings a desperately needed update to my specific computer model's temperature control settings by allowing me to obtain accurate thermal readings and adjust my fan speeds.

My computer does not currently have the ability to accurately detect thermals and even less (zero) ability to control fan speeds. As such, I frequently see my thermals for core temps and acpitz-acpi-0 reaching >70deg.C - I also notice when running sensors, that the high temp thresholds are marked at 100deg.C which is much higher than I would really want; from my understanding ~80-85deg.C is ideal for an upper threshold...

If there is a way to update to 5.18 from 5.15.0.60-generic, can someone explain how or point me to a resource which adequately explains updating a Kernel, with additional guidance for patching the Kernel if that's what I need to do to see my computer get a MUCH needed update?

If there is no way to manually install this Kernel, approximately when can Zorin OS users anticipate support for an update to a newer version than 5.15.0.60-generic?

If there is any other information you need to make an informed decision or reply, please let me know and I will make sure to check back promptly with requested information.

Any response from devs and community members with appropriate input/guidance is greatly appreciated. Please help me. Thank you!

Yes, I wrote a tutorial here:

Or, if 5.18 is not specifically needed, as long as you can use a kernel higher than 5.18, you can install the TuxInvader Mainline LTS Kernel which is currently on 6.1

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.1.12 -y

1 Like

Thank you Aravisian.

Can you please explain what you mean by "as long as"? Or, was this just a way to say "if I don't mind using" a kernel higher than 5.18? Your words make me want to ask if there is some preferred method of checking requirements to use a kernel higher than 5.18.

For me, if any kernel of higher version than 5.18 will have the same HW support fixes outlined in the Phoronix site I linked, I don't mind a more update version at all.

This is what I am thinking; that the 6.1 kernel should contain what was introduced in 5.18

However... the kernel dev team can be funny... Sometimes they take things back out again.
Those are called regressions.
It may be worthwhile to simply test it and see if it works, since the TuxInvader kernel is easily installed and removed.

After adding the repo, I get below error msg:
E: Unable to locate package linux-generic-6.1.12
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-generic-6.1.12'

hmm... here is the repo:

Try:
https://launchpad.net/~tuxinvader/+archive/ubuntu/lts-mainline/+files/linux-generic-6.00_6.0.19-0_amd64.deb

That deb file didn't work either.

I am in Synaptic and looking in the tuxinvader PPA and found:
linux-generic-6.01 (version 6.1.12-0)

When marking it for installation, I am asked to make the following changes:
linux-generic-6.01 (version 6.1.12-0) will be installed
linux-headers-6.1.12-060112 (version 6.1.12-060112.202302150629) will be installed
linux-headers-6.1.12-060112-generic (version 6.1.12-060112.202302150629) will be installed
linux-image-unsigned-6.1.12-060112-generic (version 6.1.12-060112.202302150629) will be installed
linux-modules-6.1.12-060112-generic (version 6.1.12-060112.202302150629) will be installed

Do you suggest proceeding with this attempt via Synaptic?

1 Like

Yes, and your solution to accessing it is a great one.

FInished.
uname -r now gives me:
6.1.12-060112-generic

Now I just need a way to include the patch mentioned in the news article link provided in OP.

Following the link at the bottom of that article, I am thinking the way to do this would be to click and download the file from the link shown below:

Just don't know what to do with the archive and how to implement the patch into my new kernel... any advice on this? Readme is vague and not very long. Sorry, I am horribly foreign to things like this and just want to make sure that I don't do something ridiculous that breaks something.

1 Like

The tar-ball (tar.gz archive) is usually "unzipped" or "extracted" to a location you have write access to, then moved using the terminal or a file browser you can use in super user mode (administrative mode) in order to write to the system files.

If you post the Read Me we can interpretate for you. It should have a location to place those extracted files (not the folder that they are extracted to, just the files in the extracted directory). Then either a command to run or a reboot.

1 Like

I sometimes when i missing some files I going to webside linux from scratch on thirtd part they are all files systemd mirrors with link. Then in terminal i usually taken a wget clone or git don't remember if some package are with wrong numbers then i changed on this link numbers and download.

@Aravisian I have question in ZorinOS kernel this command working?
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
I know something must be enabled.
Here is explanation.
https://blog.fpmurphy.com/2015/10/what-is-procconfig-gz.html

Sorry for the delay. I Had an early morning appointment.

I am sorry but no, in Zorin OS, this is not enabled by default.

Then i need using make config then recompile?

Yes, you would need to compile the kernel on your own. Not for the feint of heart and I would back away from offering Public Thread assistance on that one as a misstep can be disaster and I don't want the blood on my hands...

There is a lot of documentation out there though and I have done this at least a dozen times. So use a test machine and be confident in yourself as your first step toward success without headache.

1 Like

Please see below for the pastebin containing the diffstat for the driver patch I want to add to my kernel. (At least that's how I think I should say it.)

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pdx86/platform-drivers-x86.git/commit/?h=for-next&id=286e937efbc7177c114e80aae9b402131e3886c1

That said, I have been searching for ways to apply this patch to my kernel, but I have no clue where to start. After my last post, I dug a little deeper into the files in the "tar ball" and found a readme which echoes what I found when searching for ways to patch a kernel. The readme mentions that using the patch command is obsolete and recommends using Git instead.

I think my question now is: How do I use Git to apply a patch to my kernel?
@Aravisian Can you provide a little guidance on what my next step should be to get this platform driver working now that I have a kernel which supports it?

Yes. That is good advice i do that on test machine but first i need a host operating system. Then i need install virtual machine install there next host. Then i need create 3 x size a lfs partition it depends gcc. Then i need installing a ssh on virtual machine and i need connection from primary host to the second host. Then from this two host i creating full operating system and then from this system i create a image.iso
Something like that. It takes some time, for people who are expert it is 2 days.

Believe me, if I had any, I would have offered it.
I have modified and repackaged kernels and I have compiled kernels... I have never patched a kernel. You would think it would be simple.
But I have never done it and do not know the next step, either.

My next words are "I will look into this." Well, I have been... and I have run into the same problem that you have. Documentation on it is vague and largely unhelpful.

I come across plenty of posts from people that say that they did so in response to another... never any mention of how.
It probably is pretty simple, once you know how.
I will keep looking into it.

1 Like

Thank you Aravisian, your help with everything is much appreciated and I don't mean to press but I do hope you find something.

I have been continuing my research and will post it here if I find anything. I might have to ask on another site like askUbuntu.

Thank you again!

1 Like

I need to know anyway.

But it is frustrating. It amazes me how often that when someone does finally ask, the provided answer is to perform the procedure that they are asking how to do.
Case in point:

The O.P. asks directly and simply: "HOW Do I patch my kernel?"
The answer provided:

You'll have to install the appropriate kernel source, apply the patch, then rebuild.

Pure... Genius.

Another one: The O.P. asked, again, how to PATCH. The provided answer gives a great detail on how to compile from source- without mentioning how to apply a patch at all...

This may take a little time.

2 Likes