Kernel 6.8.0-40 update bricked my system (sort of)

Hi Guys,

Sorry about the click-bait title, the kernel 6.8.0-40 update actually broke Nvidia on my games rig running Zorin OS 17 pro and WiFi on my laptop also running Zorin OS 17 pro and my consequent attempt to fix it, bricked the games rig and I still haven't fixed the WiFi on the laptop.

I think I fell foul of this issue Nvidia driver 545 suddenly stopped working for Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS - Ask Ubuntu on my gaming rig and not sure what's actually wrong with my laptop.

1st the gaming rig, which is a Nvidia 3060, Ryzen 5 3600 with 32GB of RAM. To fix the issue I tried to manually install the nvidia-driver-550 which also broke the previous kernel 6.5.0-45. So I decided to install 6.5.0-44 and purge the rest and didn't realise that I needed kernel-modules-extra for the newly installed kernel and ended up with no network or desktop. Eventually managed to recover the system by copying the packages using USB and back up and running on 6.5.0-44 with the OS shipped nvidia-driver-545. Hooray! Some games are still not working but I can live with that. Also 8814au module failed to compile with net/ipx.h: No such file or directory error but WiFi is working, so not ganna worry about it.

I have not touched the laptop at all. Everything is as is after the update. It's ROG Zfphyrus G15, Nvidia 3060, Ryzen 7 6800, 16GB system. Nvidia and games are working but no WiFi. The applet is gone and there are no WiFi section in Settings under GNOME. Will troubleshoot further and update, hadn't had the time with work an all.

Please, please avoid this update like the plague... All those issues with 6.8 kernel, how to prevent upgrade?!!!

luckily my 6.8.0-40 is giving no hassles
maybe your having trouble with 8.6.0-40 , cause there ain't no kernel like that
:joy: just kidding ,just pointing out your typo i guess

1 Like

Have corrected the thread title, Perhaps @praz01 can edit rhe typo in their post as I can't do that.

1 Like

Thanks. I've fixed the rest :slight_smile:

Assume you have seen this: After update, display is really slow and screen is tearing - #6 by AZorin

2 Likes

Yes, thanks. I've seen the post but I'm also seeing loss of functionality in GPU features, which tells me that it's affected the flatpak Nvidia libs (Steam). I get the rush for Wayland is a good thing but there were also non graphics related breakages.

So, do you run Your System with Wayland or Xorg. Because of Nvidia, I think it is a better Choice to use Xorg. and then You could try the Combination of 6.8 Kernel and Nvidia 550 Driver.

Xorg. I'm currently on 555 drivers with 6.5.0-44. I'm going to wait for 6.8.0-44 generic kernel to be available before trying again -40 isessentially broken in other ways as well. There are sound distortions with Pulseaudio and mt7921e WIFI drivers are broken too.

1 Like