All those issues with 6.8 kernel, how to prevent upgrade?

Maybe it's time to address the issue with 6.8 kernel upgrade, many users have problems with it: Updated Zorin last night, performance now completely destroyed and Latest kernel (6.8.0-40) breaks Jellyfin and other media playback

My Z-core 17.1 works flawlessly, so I don't want to install this kernel update. I've tried so far:
a) to hold packages (sudo apt-mark hold linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-6.5.0-44-generic linux-image-extra-6.5.0-44-generic linux-headers-6.5.0-44-generic)
b) adding linux-generic, linux-image-generic and linux-headers-generic to the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades Unattended-Upgrade::Package-Blacklist section.

That didn't work, kernel 6.8 is still offered as system upgrade.
Can anyone be so kind to help me solve this and, hopefully, learn something new.

2 Likes

Is there any specific reason that you wouldn't want to upgrade? Yes there have been some issues, but the vast majority of issues are related to Nvidia graphics drivers and performance issues.

There has been a couple others here and there, but are they the reason you don't want to? Just wanting to wonder why.

2 Likes

There are many good reasons to want to refrain from jumping to the latest kernel. Later kernels can contain regressions or experimental code.
Normally, I would recommend adhering to the vetted kernel upgrades from the development team. Zorin OS is supposed to be LTS Stable.
However, Zoringroup appears to be gunning for Wayland and the 6.8 kernel (which is a very unusual leap from 6.5 kernel for Zoringroup to make given their kernel upgrade history) is different in that it is supposed to introduce some Wayland Hardware Support.

In my opinion, this is the best way to manage kernel boot:

Set your Preferred Kernel to default boot. THis way, any later kernel can safely be installed and the user can examine and test them out, but easily revert with one reboot to their stable preferred kernel. No need for trying to hold the packages or block the upgrader tools.

8 Likes

You got me there :grinning:
Yeah, I'm NVidia user.

2 Likes

So many people are, it's kind of a big deal.
It's not like Nvidia is a niche thing...

And the Steps here can't help You?

1 Like

Maybe I'm wrong but could it be that You have to choose the 6.8 Kernel to hold back?

1 Like

No, I haven't installed 6.8 yet... unlike that poor user with screen tearing.
I'ts like I have some kind of sixth sense :grinning:
I just want to stop that kernel upgrade and cannot find a way.
It must be some metapackage that brings kernel upgrades.

Try with:

sudo apt-mark hold $(uname -r)

This would specify the kernel version itself rather than the packages to be installed. You can always do the reverse if this doesn't work using unhold instead.

1 Like

In my question under a) I've held 6.5.0-44-generic packages, but that doesn't seem to stop the upgrade - I believe because the new kernel is not 6.5.x-xx but 6.8.x-xx so it's an entirely new package.
I'm now looking for the way to temporarily stop all intervaled updates until that problem is solved.

Ummm, I think you have to HOLD (back) the UPGRADE to 6.8, not hold the current 6.5 kernel that is already installed... that is how to stop the upgrade...
apologies if I'm wrong in my understanding!

You are absolutely right, I'm marking your answer as solution... and THANKS.
After I did

sudo apt-mark hold linux-headers-6.8.0-40-generic linux-hwe-6.8-headers-6.8.0-40 linux-image-6.8.0-40-generic linux-modules-6.8.0-40-generic linux-modules-extra-6.8.0-40-generic linux-modules-nvidia-550-6.8.0-40-generic linux-objects-nvidia-550-6.8.0-40-generic linux-signatures-nvidia-6.8.0-40-generic

and then sudo apt upgrade I've got this message

The following packages have been kept back:
linux-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-modules-nvidia-550-generic-hwe-22.04

so I guess those are the metapackages responsible for all kernel upgrades. Not sure about that nvidia modules package, should it be held back.
Anyway, problem solved, and again big thanks.

2 Likes

@NMS_traveller , you're very welcome, glad it worked.

Here is my bellyache! Kernel 6.8.0-40 update bricked my system (sort of)

RTL 8814au 5.8.5.1 also seem to be broken! No WiFi. It is possible this was broken in previous releases but has only surfaced in 6.8.0-40. Also pulse audio sounds like you're in a tunnel and needed restarting after each system restart. This release is cursed!