Keyboard and mouse are off leaving monitor as in a Frozen state

Did you type it exactly as

sudo apt full-upgrade

Yes sudo apt update && sudo full-upgrade. At 116 you left out apt and now you show it at 121

1 Like

I do this in my own terminal sometimes, too... :wink:

I am starting to wonder if I should send AMD back and get a Geforce.

EZOrb...

I will not deny that when I saw your post:

...I cringed.
It's not my place to contest any decision you settle on. After-all, AMD Ryzen and Radeon works on plenty of Linux-running machines.
However... in spite of Nvidias reputation with Linux, Nvidias performance on Linux has significantly improved over the last four years or so.
AMD, which is a stakeholder and contributes to Linux... Strangely is not so improved. It honestly smacks of AMD "virtue-signaling" while in reality, ignoring Linux. They release drivers to Linux. Mostly. But for any of their advanced Radeon, they quietly keep bits to themselves.
And this causes issues when users are trying to use Radeon on Linux, while AMD is whispering, "I Want My Money."

And the biggest trouble is; It ain't like AMD isn't getting paid. They are. They just want to squeeze out some more. And doing it in this manner is sneaky.
I avoid Radeon like Plague. I am using a Nvidia 3060 card, now, even.

Lets put a hold on this and I will order a Nvidia card. I ordered AMD cause you said Nvidia does not like Linux or something like that. I will run a few across you and see what you think before I buy.

This is true, and that is confusing.
Nvidia and Linux have long had a tense relationship. There is a famous picture on the internet of Linus Torvalds responding to Nvidia with a Double One Finger Salute...

Even so, Nvidias track record of performance on Linux has improved a lot. Intel has the most reliability. Nvidia has its share of woes, like the 470 (Proprietary Tested) driver on Linux, which is buggy. But most users have no troubles on the 470. Just that for those who do, it is hair pulling.
Nvidia has managed to get second place to Intel, over AMD's higher end GPU's, though AMD's standard GPU's seem to have no trouble with Linux.
At least with Nvidia, there is the Nouveau driver set. With AMD, when the drivers don't work, you often find yourself just in bind with no way out.

1 Like

Here is one card I found on Anazin. GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3050 Eagle OC 8G Graphics Card, 2X WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB GDDR6 128-bit GDDR6,

Do you see any problems with this card?
What is complete number of your card?

Graphic card came in today. Installed it and booted computer into Lite. It working correctly. It shows the latest drivers should be 515 package.

How can I tell what driver series is installed?

You can launch Software & Updates then move to the "Additional Drivers" tab.

Driver pkg installed is 510. Latest is 515.
1.00 Should I update to 515 or leave well enough alone.

2.00 How do I get to: Wallpaper selection? Don't like the snow mountain.

3.00 The bad news is Computer was locked up this morning.

Aravisian is moving house so not readily available. In respect of nVidia driver 515 you could do this manually as per guide here:

https://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2021/debian-ubuntu-linux-mint-nvidia-guide/?amp=1

As for wallpaper setting if using Lite, look in Settings for Desktop Settings/Preferences. (Don't have access to Lite, using my xfce knowledge from MX-Linux I upgraded on my good lady's machine yesterday.)

In respect of computer freeze this article may (or may not) prove useful:

1 Like

I don't know what happened when I opened EDGE to check on customer orders this computer was dead to the internet. Said check my DNS settings. Looks OK. I have rearranged my internet connection by removing the Network Switch and now hardwired direct from Modem to computer.

I replaced the new Graphics card with my old card (we thought it was causing the computer lockup/freeze). The new card locked up the computer the next morning so Graphic card was not the problem.
I have renamed my freeze problem to Lockup. When it lockups the computer is dead will not do anything. Sometimes the mouse is still movable you can click on anything with a dead response. This is why the Link to Linux desktop freezes won't work. If it was just a freeze then it would. Could use to determine Freeze from a total lockup.

What do you think would be the more likely cause? It has been my experience that CPU either works or it doesn't, I stress tested the memory and it was perfect, that leaves the Motherboard.

@Aravisian The Solution needs to be removed. How do you do that. A new issue this has happened twice while Zorin Lite has been booted. The screen goes black and a few seconds later Zorin Lite wants my password. Similar to a micro second power interruption. Should we start a new topic or continue on with this?

CPU lockup?

See if highest score answer helps you out on this page:

If I understand the article correctly it seems to me it is a slightly different situation. My computer will boot in Xfse and Gnome OK. Then after a period of time using it will just lockup. The period of time can be from 1 day to 3+ days. The other thing I have notice is when Zorin does an update it seems to change the number of days before a lockup. Not all Zorin updates will cause a change in the number of days before a lockup.

To do that you should just point your mouse to where it says :white_check_mark:Solution.
You should then see that you are able to deselect it as required.

I guess we are starting over since it appears that Graphic Card is not the cause and it seems that it is not related to which desktop is being used.
I have switch browser from EDGE to FireFox and lets see if that makes a difference.

Is anyone else having this problem Computer lockup or dead. Only thing active is lights and fans. Monitor displays screen that was active at time of lockup.

Since you ask, I used to get occassional lockup (Z15), sometimes after a kernel update. I could always get it back to life by doing a Ctrl+Alt+Del then back out of that without making a change. Seemed to free up the screen.
I do not have Z16 installed, but have not had such problems with Z15.3 Core for some time.

Appears they are, same board as yours:

Interesting that the query raised USB as an issue. About this time Microsoft had submitted code for USB to the Linux Kernel. When a German engineer responsible for vetting submitted code saw it he used a swear word in English instead of his native tongue equivalent! The sooner Microsoft gets its backside out of Linux kernel writes the better it will be for all GNU/Linux users!

1 Like

Swarfendor437 you have hit the nail on the head.
The description he gives is same as what I am experiencing. Same motherboard with slight hardware changes little different as 2 matched memory sticks 16GB each and CPU is in the same family a little older. My CPU is Ryzen 7 1700 8-core 3.0 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo) AMD 65W.

Well I will call AMD and see if they will provide me a new CPU.
It locks up using Firefox browser

1 Like