Laptop with Zorin 16 doesn't shut down or sleep

So yeah I didn't have it with 15.3 Lite but I'm having it with 16 Lite and Core. I'm using 16 Lite at the moment.

uname -a only brings up the 5.11.0-41-generic kernel

If you are willing, let's try the 5.8 LTS kernel and see if it helps. There's no harm in trying it, after-all.
My only guide in this is that it worked properly on 15.3, so I wonder if there is a regression on your hardware in the later 5.11 kernel.

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

Reboot into the 5.8 from the Advanced Options... menu and try testing... It may take a couple tries.

1 Like

I'll try that now thanks. I should add I didn't always have this problem with 16 Core. It started happening a week or less before 16 Lite dropped

1 Like

That was about when the 5.11.0-41 kernel came down the pipe, actually...

Yeah I've edited the install code you sent me to try install the 5.11.0-40-generic kernel that I was using before. If that doesn't work then I'll try the 5.8 kernel you listed

1 Like

IT WORKED!!!!

5.11.0-40-generic both shuts the laptop down and suspends it. Guess it just didn't like 5.11.0-41-generic

2 Likes

Awesome. With that done, you might use this guide to help you set up your kernel boot to remain on 5.11.0-40 so you do not need to apt-mark hold the kernel and can freely allow updates:

I've tried that a few times but it always defaults back to the 5.11.0-41-generic kernel.

That might be because I used Grub Customizer to load the 5.11.0-40-generic kernel.

All in all I've ended up just using Grub Customizer to default to the 5.11.0-40-generic kernel.

Thank you so much for your help @Aravisian and you too @mardijker. Its honestly such a relief to have it all working again

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.