Laptop's monitor doesn't show any image

Hey, everyone!

After I've used my laptop connected to TV via HDMI cable, my laptop's monitor doesn't show any image. It's working because (sometimes) I could see the loading screen, but I don't know how to fix it! At the moment I'm using my TV. However, I wanna use my laptop's monitor. Including, I can't format this, because I don't see my BIOS.

Help me, please!

Jônatas Rocha. :pleading_face:

Are you saying that it has stayed that way even with the TV disconnected from the notebook?

Yes, I am. Laptop’s monitor is working, but it doesn’t show any image, connected to TV or not.

Have you checked the graphics by using LiveUSB (Your Zorin Installation Medium)?

I can’t see the BIOS, because it’s not showed by the laptop’s monitor and TV just shows images after the loading screen.

What images? Blurred objects? The Motherboard Splash Screen?

I’m sorry, my English is poor. I can use my laptop normally just connected to TV. However, the television only starts displaying images from the loading screen, so I can’t access the BIOS.

At least this establishes that your graphics card is working.

inxi -G

or

sudo lshw -c video

Are you using Nvidia Card?

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB GT2)
v: 4.2 Mesa 21.0.3

*-display                 
       descrição: VGA compatible controller
       produto: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
       fabricante: Intel Corporation
       ID físico: 2
       informações do barramento: pci@0000:00:02.0
       versão: 09
       largura: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capacidades: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuração: driver=i915 latency=0
       recursos: irq:28 memória:f7800000-f7bfffff memória:e0000000-efffffff porta de E/S:f000(tamanho=64) memória:c0000-dffff

Fascinating...
Well, it does not appear to be the driver or the card itself...

Do you have any Missing Firmware?

sudo apt update

would show it...

All packages are up to date

You really need to remove all those bad repositories and then run a proper upgrade.
Open Software & Updates and remove any repositories there that are showing an error in the "sudo apt update" results.
Once they are removed, run sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade.

In the meantime, can you please shut Down the notebook completely. Make sure it is powered off and unplugged.
Take a q-tip

and gently clean the HDMI port on your notebook thoroughly. You can use a small drop of Rubbing Alcohol but don't get carried away and soak your machine.
If you have a spare HDMI cable, this is a good time to test with it.
Some HDMI Cables are Directional - one end is for the computer and one end is for the output. They cannot be reversed. So please Check Your Cables.

Power on the notebook and see if any graphics appear.
Then plug in the HDMI with the notebook still on and see if the TV displays the graphics. If it does, select shutdown in the app menu and then immediately unplug the HDMI before the computer shuts down.
Boot without the HDMI cable and test graphics on Notebook monitor.

Your Notebook Monitor itself maybe the problem.

1 Like

Apparently, these repositories are from Microsoft. I use Microsoft Edge as my standard browser. Should I to reinstall it?

You have multiple of the same entry in sources.list.d
Really, just removing the extra bad entries and then running update and upgrade should be all you need to do.

1 Like

Okay, how can I do this? Could you give me an example, please. I kept that terminal open.

All of the repositories listed with a W: warning in the terminal.
You may try opening a new terminal and running

sudo -i

nautilus

Then navigate from the left pane to "Other locations" > "computer" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d
And look at the actual files within the directory to get a better understanding of what you are seeing.

1 Like

Okay, I've found these repositories.

If I open microsoft-edge-beta.list is written:

THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED

You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.

deb [arch=amd64] Index of /repos/edge/ stable main

1 Like

Right click the Microsoft-Edge-Beta.list and the Microsoft-Edge.list files. From the context menu, select "Delete".
Close the window. (You can close the terminal you ran "nautilus" in, it may want to finish before it closes.)

In terminal run (run this only once!):

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/microsoft-edge-dev.list'

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

1 Like

Mission acomplished. I'm going to reboot my PC. At the moment its monitor issue isn't solved. Yet.

1 Like