Latest updates breaking boot

I'm soo glad somebody laughed at that! :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

The saga continues. Through trial and error, the following updates are still borking my boot:

2 Likes

I managed to remove unwanted updates (printer drivers) from there with Synaptic Package Manager, a bit more advanced than other software but yet useful and quite intuitive to do basic actions such as removing unwanted updates, search for updates, search for specific software and such.

1 Like

First, let me apologize if my language is not precise, my last computer course was 50 years ago.
PC is IDed as HP-Desktop-M01-F0xxx
OS Zorin 16.2
I am experiencing this or a similar issue as of this morning (June 16-2023)- update installed in 2 batches, and required a restart. On restarting, the boot failed. Had the following message on the screen-
---[ end of Kernel panic - not syncing:UFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown- block(0,0)]---

On the next boot attempt, I got the boot selection screen, which gave me the choice of:
Zorin with Linux 5.15.0-75 generic
Zorin with Linux 5.15.0-75 generic recovery mode
Zorin with Linux 5.15.0-73 generic
Zorin with Linux 5.15.0-73 generic recovery mode

The most recent update (5.15.0-75 generic) will not boot in either mode.
The previous update (5.15.0-73 generic) boots without issues, and I am using it now.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions. I could not find any way to report this issue on Zorin's site.

I would boot into -75 in recovery mode, if it gives you a prompt, use this opportunity to run boot repair (can also be done by gui on the live image on usb). It sounds like some of the changes may have not written correctly in EFI (boot partition).

This also may be a graphics driver that needs a boot parameter in order for it to work (happens on nvidia and Intel graphics cards).

Try boot repair first, (whatever method appeals to you the most). Then, if it's still showing a black screen, we'll need your graphics card info.

1 Like

Do you read INCONSISTENT FILESYSTEM? I had this issue once and fixed it by entering fsck /dev/sda2 and pressed y to each Fix? question till logging in successfully. To report a problem or suggest a feature you can open Send Feedback - Zorin OS, choose one of the 2 options, fill in the fields and send.

1 Like

You can also set the previous working kernel as default boot:

-75 recovery mode also failed- same message as booting -75.

The graphics card is AMD. Graphics driver is the Zorin AMD driver.

after entering fsck /dev/sda2 I get a message telling me the file system is mounted, and I "WILL" (all caps in the message) cause file system damage by continuing.
Thanks for the Zorin feedback link, I left them a report.

1 Like

Fsck has to be run on an unmounted disk. Running on a mounted disk will erase data.

1 Like

i accidentally status and status-old in dpkg folder how to fix it?

You're going to have to clarify this a little more. Did you create a file accidentally? Was this a command for a particular program? I'm kind of lost what you did and what occurred.

i accidentally deleted directly by clicking shift + delete on keyboard.

Since my last update, the firmware update is still breaking my boot:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.