Linux vs. Windows

Yes, it's a bit much LOL.. I have to be careful to make sure I'm responding from the right account sometimes.

I run 3 different companies 2 are the same company just under 2 different names serving different clients. The other one is in the same field but does completely different things. I have access to the main mailbox everyone does plus my own personal for each company.

Now possibly adding a 4th for the International company.. UGH

I have different personal accounts for different things, 2 are just throw away accounts I use to sign up for things, that get filled with spam and then I have a few personal accounts that I only give to people I know.

Most people in my business have several email accounts, there's no way a browser would work for this.

Well, of course. But that makes it an unreasonable comparison, then. I could say the same about a person being utterly confused by a GUI they have no idea how to use.
It does assume that a person knows how to use the terminal - that is a given.

There is no contradiction other than the one that you are inventing.

You - said that Linux lacks support, called the apps "half-baked." But you gave no examples of what apps are "half-baked" nor gave any suggestions of improvement.
YOU- said things work on windows out of the box. You implied this is not the case on Linux.

I pointed out that in my experience on multiple computers, everything on Zorin Works out of the box.

This is not contradictory to my own statements at all. Only to yours.
Nor does the above say that I think Linux is totally good enough as it is.

However, I do think that users who are not interested in Linux that complain it should be "more like Windows" need to examine their motives. Is it about not wanting to learn something new?
Because if Linux is just like Windows- it is superfluous. Why have Linux if it's just like Windows and Windows is well established with a two trillion dollar company supporting it?
Do you see?

Linux is different and I point out that that, in itself, is not a bad thing.

I made a valid point:

Your response was:

Why else would you claim (as fact, even) that I "don't like GUI?" Can you see the major assumption here? That if I do not see it your way, that I must therefor dislike GUI?

You saw a sword.

What basics? Clarify. Examples.

I've already stated examples, read above. Half baked is half baked, read above. I'm not repeating myself again. And if you think what they have to offer is great, that's nice. I don't and clearly others don't either or else they'd be moving over and they're not.

A typical user (not you or I) is not confused by GUI's. It seems you keep thinking this is about a typical Linux user and not a Windows or Mac user, it isn't. You're trying to get those people. I assume that by your own words telling people they need to learn how to use the terminal over the GUI. No, no they don't. The GUI has been around technically since the 1960's and it isn't going anywhere at this point.

If people want their software used, it needs a GUI. That's the fact of the matter in today's world and has been the case for several decades now. You can want to parse and argue the point all you want, but it doesn't matter. If people didn't want it, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion in the first place and Linux would be an option on computers at the store. So it isn't a matter of seeing it my way, I don't care if you do or not. The very fact that after 20 years Linux is still trying to make inroads tells me what the truth and reality is. You can like it or not, try and tell me I'm saying something or not, or argue the point all you want but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. Software is made first and foremost for Windows and Mac, not Linux.

I don't think it's not about learning something new per se, as people move from Windows to Mac. I believe once again, that it comes down to the software. Mac has pretty much all the Windows software variants, Linux however does not. Mac users could easily make the switch over to Linux as many of the programs are the same base anyhow as their kernels are both Unix based.

Now, I've stated what I stated and I'm not going to argue it any further parsing everything. I agree with your initial premise and I've given reasons why I believe things need to change in order to achieve that goal. You can like them or not.

1 Like

It is both of them :wink: Its a browser AND an email-client. love it.

I read above. You waved in the direction of Printers and Thunderbird.
Thunderbird is Mozilla. I mean... It's valid. I am right there with you... But let's face it, Mozilla is not a Linux Developer.

Ah... LOL... I don't agree. From years of experience, I do not in the least agree.
I have helped far far too many people sitting helplessly in front of a Screen with a Nice Big Friendly GUI open in front of them and they had no idea what to do.
The terminal is not exactly rocket science.

I only recently moved over to Linux from Windows myself!
I had never ever used Linux before.

True...
You assume too much, too.
Just like assuming I hate GUI and Assuming I said that it's good enough for everyone, right?
This is getting tiring, Dean.

Assumption based on nothing I said. I never said that people must learn to use the terminal over GUI. Just be willing to accept and use the tools provided. be willing to learn instead of demanding that you shouldn't have to.

What I said was:
The GUI is fast, powerful and efficient.
I never said everyone must learn it Over the GUI. Not at all. You have a very strong penchant for putting a lot of words in someones mouth. You are painting a facade of the villain. You see a sword.
I do not agree with you on some points... so therefor you claim I must hate GUI. you claim I think everyone must learn the terminal over the GUI.

A GUI Themer.:expressionless:

The only parsing I see here is the massive distortion of how you present another persons words.

Just sayin'.

Using the Right Tool for the Job is a good way to go, instead of always shunning one or the other.

Read your own words above. Yes you did state people should learn how to use the terminal over the GUI, in fact you stated they were capable of learning it.

I deal with people who barely can set up their own email, so yes I know what I'm talking about.

This is a forum, I'm not here to write a dissertation that meets your approval, giving blow by blow examples of everything I say you parse down.

Yes, yes I do quite successfully. I'm sure I am as well, saves me the trouble of firing you. See around here I set the rules and what people use for my business. What you want, what you like or what you think at the end of the day doesn't matter. My business, my money, my way. I take the information, look it over and make my decision. You may not like the decision, and it doesn't matter. But if someone like yourself wants to argue every point, there's the door. Go start your own company and do things the way you want them done.

But the fact you have to resort to personal insults speaks volumes... Have a great day

1 Like

Quote me.
Quote where I said that people should learn the terminal Over the GUI.

(Hint: It is impossible for you to do so, since I did not say that.)

I consider misrepresenting a persons words to be a pretty personal insult. It is to distort their being in order to villify them in order to justify your own arguments.

I's an Honest Statement. If you distort my words this much, in order to vilify me just because I do not agree with all your points, I am glad I do not work for you. You have been personally insulting me across the last five of your posts.

1 Like

Yes, but it does not handle exchange, only POP or IMAP. That doesn't work for me as I use exchange. And yes I know you can set up exchange to work off of IMAP, but it isn't the same.

I have a different business ethic than you do.
In my shop, my employees are the ones who Do Work, take the guff from customers and who make it all happen. They are valuable, not commodities for My Way or My Money.
I do not see it as My company, My Money, My Way.

I see it as a team effort, almost family. I defend my employees when the customer is rowdy, not throw them under the bus and I never tell them to take the abuse because "my money."
My employee works for me. Anything they do working for me, on their time and sweat, is building that company.
I value the employees more than the customer. Customers keep coming. But a loyal employee is harder to find. Get a good employee - You listen to what they actually say, not what justifies what you want it to be.

1 Like

And there lies the heart of the entire issue I think. Two different philosophy's clashing like oil in water. Or positive and negative sides of a magnet, they repel each other, and so does oil and water, they do not absorb.

But common ground must be found. Ponder on this you both shall.

yoda

2 Likes

You are right. I am out of line.
Knowing the mood I am in today, I really should have avoided this thread.

I just really dislike it when a person keeps repetitively putting words in my mouth to paint a facade of what they claim my stance is, while they invent that stance as they go along.

Really, like you just did with me ASSUMING I don't stand up for my employees.. You just assumed something and put tons of words in my mouth that I did not say nor gave indication of.

You don't know me, you don't anything about me so you would do well to keep the personal attacks to zero.

I really dislike when people think anyone else says is a personal offence to them. None of what I said was, I merely pointed out flaws in Linux and you went at me like a fanboy. Read your own words... I invented nothing and stated the same thing repeatedly. You're the one who went off about this and that, not I. I've been using for 20 years and as you state you just started. Pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. Sorry, I didn't bow down to you oh mighty one.

You're right, maybe you should have stayed off the thread... It's clear you used me as your own personal punching bag. And I'm way too old to put up or deal with fanboys.

This will be my last response to this thread with you, it's clear all you want to do is take offence to something that isn't there and argue. Go argue with yourself.

Good. Because you have done little else but spew personal attacks at me across the majority of your posts by completely distorting almost everything I said.

It's clear you see things in what people express to distort in order to misrepresent what they say into something you can more easily argue with.

Here in our country you could pick up ubuntu disks for free, talking about 15 years ago or something.

2 Likes

Yes, remember the same in Germany, too. Free disks for different Linux-Distros.
Or very little money by post.

2 Likes

Ha! yeah germany had them too. I live close at the border (The Netherlands)

1 Like

I am 1/4 dutchman :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Not that i understand or speak dutch... but we had a very nice vacation in 2018 there. Beautiful Country!

1 Like

My father is german and my mother is dutch, i am 1/2 haha. My german language is bad, i do understand when they speak german to me. Talking back in german is a bit ... bleh haha

1 Like

I use email clients because I have a dozen email addresses from a variety of services. I don't like having to login to multiple browser tabs all the time. I sync using IMAP or Exchange and let the client do its thing. I can also re-read or write offline then send later.

(I also close all my tabs after I'm done with the browser. I have at most a dozen tabs open and am not crazy about having dozens or hundreds open all the time.)

2 Likes