Live wallpaper on zorin 16 comments and issues

If tried komorebi, but it's not able to play gifs or m3u8 files, did not like it so uninstalled. I like (this guide) the xwinwrap version better, it's easier to manipulate.

And your wright, discovered that after a while my fans started to blow a bit higher. But with xwinwrap it just runs smooth enough.

gifs ran really well on Netrunner 15 KDE as it was built in to the OS - Netrunner is now defunct, merged with Manjaro Project.

Did not know that, I liked netrunner kde. It ran great on my pc. Reading their site, I believe they even have a ARM version now.

1 Like

You can also use "gedit" instead of "nano". Now it feels more GUI

Everything given under there is to just launch Live Wallpaper at startup. Instead of using .desktop file at .config/autostart you can even try "Startup Applications Preferences" app. Add "/usr/local/bin/Live.sh" as Command (Name would be your preference). Hopefully this would enable live wallpaper.

Try using "/usr/local/bin/Live.sh" in terminal before setting autostart. :wink:

is this compatible with wayland?

Nope. Xwinwwrap is for X11.

1 Like

Fearing risk is normal; but using CLI or the terminal is generally quite safe.
I have used Storms method above and it worked great on the first try.
Breaking down the commands:
sudo apt install Sudo is short for SuperUser DO, with 'do' being like "do this or do that." It means to run that command elevated to Root or SuperUser.
Advanced Package Manager is apt.

git xorg-dev build-essential libx11-dev x11proto-xext-dev libxrender-dev libxext-dev and git clone https://github.com/ujjwal96/xwinwrap.git
Git is the command to access github to retrieve the package - the rest you see there are the package names. They look funny, just like in Windows with the winboop.dll...
Xwinwrap is the window wrapper for the X Window system.
cd xwinwrap in cli, "cd" is the command to Change Directory - in this case, changing to the xwinwrap directory in order to have access to the files within it. You can 'cd' to any directory that exists on your computer. Just follow the path.
make cmake are both compiling programs and by saying 'make' in terminal, you are calling on make or cmake to compile the objects referenced. You can say "make" if the terminal is open in the directory in which to run the app Make or you can call on make followed with the path to the file, much like 'cd' above to direct it to the file.
sudo nano Nano is a CLI Text Editor. Calling on nano opens the editor from which you can edit a text file. You can do this in a GUI text editor the same way to the same effect, it's just slower.

xwinwrap -fs -fdt -ni -b -nf -- mpv -wid WID --no-audio --loop "/path/to/your/videofile" This is telling Winwrap to play the .gif or .mp4 video file as background on the screen. fs means Full Screen. fdt means force desktop type (so that the video behaves as a desktop object).-b means Below the desktop (So all other windows you open are on top). -nf means no focus (so that you cannot click on and interact with the background video). Same goes for ni. -- mpv Directs it to be MPV player that plays the video. WID is... I think it is Window Internal Dimensions. Not sure. Lol. No audio so no sound is played (But you can change this to have sound if you don't mind repeated annoying sound) and loop- repeat, so the gif or mp4 plays over and over.
The path/to/your/file is supposed to be replaced with the actual path to your file. Mine is in usr/share/pixmaps where I put it. This is the trickiest part to explain to someone new to CLI - Path that contains $USER and to remember to change the File Name. IF these are not correct, the computer cannot find the file.

sudo chmod +x Live.sh Chmod is Change Mode and in this case, +x it is changing mode to give Executable Permissions to the file named Live.sh

[Desktop Entry] creates a menu file for the item. In this case, opening the App Menu and searching for "wallpaper" will show "run wall".

nano ~/.config/autostart/LiveWallpaper.desktop Creates an autostart entry so that your live wallpaper runs at log in.

So- to make a live wallpaper, you can download one or make your own (I made a few of my own) and place them in a convenient place. I decided on /usr/share/pixmaps because that is a Short Path to write and to remember. Then copy and paste the commands above in Storms Original Post.

If you would like to try making a Live Wallpaper, we can go One Step at a time to ensure a safe set up for you.

3 Likes

added new updated video.

In the autostart file, you can set an # infront of exec to stop it. It's how I do it.

2 Likes

Bro you have said How to add Live Wallpapers on Zorin 16. Please include this also bro ( How to disable and How to completely remove live wallpapers in Zorin os 16 based on x11 ) This will be useful for many beginner's also like me.

1 Like

No problem. Just remove the Autostart script and that will stop it from running.

rm ~/.config/autostart/LiveWallpaper.desktop

1 Like

An alternative is to install Koboremi:

Which is what I did when Zorin Plus was no longer available. A word of warning though it is resource hungry app!