Live Zorin OS USB (Not Live USB & Installer)

My husband and I tested Puppy and we can attest your statement.
Puppy is very fast since the OS is running on the memory but saving files are not that easy.

2 Likes

I've already encountered a problem on my Nitro 5. Secure Boot means I can't see the drive. I had to password protect my boot drive in order to disable secure boot, not what I wanted. So yeah, Bios does seem to be an issue. Also, it didn't like me switching from an older Nvidia Driver (Dell Inspiron 1720) to an ATI Radeon HD6870 card in a HP Pavilion a6612uk Pavilion with a Phenom x4 proc. This is a clear indicator that not all hardware devices will enjoy the swap-a-round.

Thanks, I'll have a look through the list tomorrow. Everything stops for F1 I'm afraid.

Check these out .... WD Passport .... I have 5 1TB but they are formatted to NTFS .... it says that for other OS they must be reformatted .... not sure if these are a true HD or just a glorified thumb drive .... anyway worth a look ....

1 Like

I have a WD Elements 2TB extern HD. It came automatically formatted as NTFS.

But that's no problem because it makes it easier when your dual booting. The drive is recognized by both Windows and Linux.

1 Like

I have a 1TB WD Elements (assuming that my wife doesn't realise I swapped it for a 1tb Fujitsu in drive caddy). Are you saying the WD Elements will be detected as a UEFI boot drive where the 1TB Fujitsu in a caddy isn't? I haven't heard anything like that before?

Both can be detected as such.
Simply use Disk or Gparted to format the disk in desired file system. If you have no plan to use it with Windows, ext4 is better for Linux.

1 Like

With this Nitro 5 laptop I have to disable secure boot first, otherwise neither drive is detected as a boot option.

Since I have never enabled secure boot in any of my laptops and desktops, I cannot say anything about your observation. I hope someone with a knowledge of secure boot can pitch in here.

Secure Boot comes pre-enabled and it's damned annoying
to say the least...

2 Likes

Welcome to the club :wink:
It is the consensus on this forum - at least among the moderators.

2 Likes

Amazing topic. Crucial,WD HDD,puppy Linux.

3 Likes

As my new flash drives are to arrive (8 of them) soon do you recommend formatting them for ext4 also or does it matter ????

Thanks

Fat 32 is the format to use for the installer USB.

ext4 is for the HDD/SSD where OS is installed.

1 Like

Thank you .... I'll format them with Fat 32 .... not sure what they will come with ...

Always FAT32

3 Likes

I see your avatar is metamorphosing everyday like a real frog.
:frog:

I just wanted to add that sometime the manufacturers give you a free software (Windows only, of course) or user manual on the USB key.
It is better to reformat USB key before use even it is already in FAT32.

I also recommend you to run F3 app to confirm the real capacity of the keys, especially if they are large capacity ones.

2 Likes

Thanks again .... I was wondering about the software the manufactures but on these drives if they are necessary or not ... I used to copy the files to another location and then add them back when I was finished formatting ... LOL

I love your frog photo in your post hope you don't mind if I capture him and put him to good use ?????

1 Like

It is not a photo.
Type ": frog :" (remove quotation marks and spaces) and see what you will get.
:frog:

1 Like

: frog :

1 Like