Lock screen needs to be unlocked two (or more) times

Ok, can you increase your limit:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system.conf

arrow key down to the line that says:

#DefaultLimitNOFILE=

Remove the hashtag in front of that line...
and change it to

DefaultLimitNOFILE=65536

Save and exit
ctrl+x
hit y key to say yes to save
hit enter key to save as current file
Terminal will revert to normal.
EDIT: Correction, it is in one more file, too:

sudo nano /etc/systemd/user.conf

And repeat all the same steps above.

At this point... can only test and see what that results in with use.

I made a text file using grep on PID

and hence got a cleaned version of everything that was happening in that GNOME shell process at an ongoing Login Glitch.

Then I did a search for (in the text file)

and that number came out to be 256
Which is a number that easily catches attention of a person good with binaries.

I searched for this error on web

and found that it was generated due to some extensions on GNOME on ubuntu 18.04, which is what Zorin 15 is based on. Here is one such link

extension gpaste bug

This appears to be an extensions related problem even in my case.
I would find out more. Please keep assisting me.

I wonder if I should have you helping me.

I did see some errors related to extensions in your logs- including gcampax. But I was more dismissive of those.
You might check your version of JDK.

If you like, you can try removing and reinstalling the extensions.

sudo apt remove --purge gnome-shell-extensions-zorin-desktop

After Removing, reinstall:

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extensions-zorin-desktop

The below list is based off the gcampax-

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-printers

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extension-printers

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-app-grid

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-window-move-effect

https://launchpad.net/~zorinos/+archive/ubuntu/stable

Before reading this i did a --reinstall command on that package, but that didn't help. I will try now purging it. But first I am preparing a ZorinOS Lite 15.3 bootable drive (just in case).

I have a timeshift backup. But I am not sure if that backup excludes this error.

I feel your pain. I just wiped and reinstalled Zorin OS earlier today. Fortunately, all my back ups were solid and I am pretty much right back to where I was. Minus gtk 3.24, now.

Interestingly, the reason I reinstalled was due to a Memory Leak in the File Manager that I just could not correct. I must point out, I use Cinnamon D.E. with Nemo FM. Not Gnome.

^That right there, is why I do not Timeshift.
I back up Home Folder and configuration only.

1 Like

If you don’t want Zorin’s preconfigured GNOME (or xfce), why use Zorinos?

There is more to Zorin OS than just the D.E.
Cpu usage and performance, better backports, less fluff, more stability.

Running Cinnamon on Zorin OS is smooth and fast. Run Cinnamon on Mint and it bogs down after 30mins to an hour.

Sometime back, I did try to get away from using Zorin OS. I did a lot of distro hopping, testing on an aging machine. Zorin OS outperformed all the rest.
There’s a thread about it on the old ZorinGroupForum.

1 Like

Wow.

I am however in my distro hoping phase. I tried Zorin about two months ago. And then with a mood to settle on some distro I am back on Zorin at least till ubuntu 21.04 arrives. I don’t like Gnome on my laptop. Its quite buggy and heavy. I just have 8GB memory on my system. I like KDE most, xfce is also good enough (I don’t like its application launcher).
Last time when I was on Zorin I tried Zorinos Lite. This time I thought lets give core 15.3 a shot, but then this Thread happened :slight_smile: .

I tried purging and reinstalling gnome-shell-extensions-zorin-desktop but broke my distribution, rolled back to my oldest timeshift backup. The problem wasn’t gone, but most of my config were gone.

Now that they are gone, and the fact that I don’t much like Gnome. I think of going back to zorin os lite , after giving some last tries to fix the problem.

I am quite sure at this point that the problem is not hardware compatibility, its kinda coming from the Zorin Gnome desktop itself.

Is there a smooth way to remove and reinstall zorin os desktop?

Definitely. I have done it by accident. More than once... LOL

I started out on Zorin, coming from Windows.
That was on Core, Gnome desktop. For me, personally, it was a terrible start. As you say, Gnome was buggy, resource heavy, not user friendly and often counter-intuitive.
I struggled with it a lot and those first three months of learned were very rough.
I recall clearly stating in a thread on the old forum that I Hated Zorin OS.
About 4 months in for whatever reason, I decided to switch to Zorin Lite. Suddenly, my OS was under my control, everything worked better, was user friendly and settings and customization were easy.I continued using XFCE on Zorin lite for the rest of the first year learning Linux. That was around when I did the distro hopping, and tried out Mint 20. I disliked Cinnamon Desktop. But again, for reasons to do with making themes that were more complete for more desktops, I installed Cinnamon on Zorin Lite. As I learned how to really tweak and customize it, and with XFCE moving to CSD's and a gnome-clone style with 4.16, I switched over to just using Cinnamon. That is my year and 3/4 experience in a nutshell.

sudo apt remove gnome

Would get rid of Zorin Desktop and all other integrated portions. Guess how I learned.

sudo apt remove zorin-os-desktop

Might be the better way to go- with installation being the reverse of the removal.
If you like, you can

sudo apt install zorin-os-lite-desktop

on Core and then just log in to the Zorin lite D.E. instead of Gnome.

1 Like

Thanks @Aravisian for your responses. I didn’t got to try those commands. I did something after that wasn’t able to access the desktop. I had the tempting bootable drive ready in front of me. I couldn’t resist. Had all my data backed up.
So I just flashed Zorin OS Lite 15.3 on my system.

But may be if this issue occurs to someone else, they could try reinstalling the desktop.

Its good to have someone help diagnose the problem. Thanks for all your help.
Also thanks to @carmar.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Zorin 16 Core needs to be unlocked more than once