Logged out after computer wakes up from sleep mode and putting in password

Each time I open my laptop from sleep mode and enter my password, it would log me out. It happens now and then but I want to fix this.

What graphics do you have?

sudo lshw -C video

Hi, log out with black screen?

I have the same problem and seems to be related to Wayland somehow, as it doesn't happen at all if I'm logged into Xorg

1 Like

I am using Zorin OS 17 Pro and have encountered a similar problem: after the screen is turned off (locked) for a period of time, and then unlocked by entering the password, it sometimes returns to the user login interface, and the previous session is closed.

I remember my graphics were intel graphics 3000 on windows, but here is what I got from running the command:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 resolution=1366,768
resources: irq:27 memory:f0000000-f03fffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:5000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

My Laptop is a Lenovo T520 from 2011

If the graphics drivers fail during wake from sleep, the desktop will reinitialize, making you need to relogin.

If this is the i915 driver (I admit, I was kinda hoping you would say Nvidia, since it is easy to change out Nvida drivers...:stuck_out_tongue: ), you may need to try a different kernel.
You can find your current kernel version with

uname -r

1 Like

My kernel version after running the command:

6.5.0-15-generic

I actually wonder if the 6.5 kernel is too new for this chipset.

In terminal, does apt search linux-image-5.15.0-83-generic yield results?

If it does, you can install with

sudo apt install linux-image-5.15.0-83-generic linux-headers-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-83-generi

When booting, if needed tap esc or tab to pull up the Grub Menu and select Advanced Options for Zorin and then select Zorin on 5.15.0-83 to boot from and test.

After running the following command, it booted up as it should and it only logged me out after waking it up from sleep mode once. I gave it 10 seconds after putting it in sleep mode then waking it up again (x5 times), and seems I can't remake the issue at the moment.
I guess I will report back after a day if its still happening or when it happens again.

1 Like

Fingers crossed... If it works out, you can set the 5.15.0-83 as Default Boot so that you do not need to enter grub each time you boot up nor do you need to apt mark-hold the kernel:

Unfortunately it happened again :'3 .

EDIT: It happens less often as it seems.

1 Like

It is still happening, but less often?

We can do the same as above, testing the 5.15.0-91, -92 kernels... It seems unlikely, though, that it would be present, fixed, then regress again right away.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.