Logged out after computer wakes up from sleep mode and putting in password

Each time I open my laptop from sleep mode and enter my password, it would log me out. It happens now and then but I want to fix this.

What graphics do you have?

sudo lshw -C video

Hi, log out with black screen?

I have the same problem and seems to be related to Wayland somehow, as it doesn't happen at all if I'm logged into Xorg

1 Like

I am using Zorin OS 17 Pro and have encountered a similar problem: after the screen is turned off (locked) for a period of time, and then unlocked by entering the password, it sometimes returns to the user login interface, and the previous session is closed.

I remember my graphics were intel graphics 3000 on windows, but here is what I got from running the command:
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: 09
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
configuration: depth=32 driver=i915 latency=0 resolution=1366,768
resources: irq:27 memory:f0000000-f03fffff memory:e0000000-efffffff ioport:5000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

My Laptop is a Lenovo T520 from 2011

If the graphics drivers fail during wake from sleep, the desktop will reinitialize, making you need to relogin.

If this is the i915 driver (I admit, I was kinda hoping you would say Nvidia, since it is easy to change out Nvida drivers...:stuck_out_tongue: ), you may need to try a different kernel.
You can find your current kernel version with

uname -r

1 Like

My kernel version after running the command:

6.5.0-15-generic

I actually wonder if the 6.5 kernel is too new for this chipset.

In terminal, does apt search linux-image-5.15.0-83-generic yield results?

If it does, you can install with

sudo apt install linux-image-5.15.0-83-generic linux-headers-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-83-generi

When booting, if needed tap esc or tab to pull up the Grub Menu and select Advanced Options for Zorin and then select Zorin on 5.15.0-83 to boot from and test.

After running the following command, it booted up as it should and it only logged me out after waking it up from sleep mode once. I gave it 10 seconds after putting it in sleep mode then waking it up again (x5 times), and seems I can't remake the issue at the moment.
I guess I will report back after a day if its still happening or when it happens again.

1 Like

Fingers crossed... If it works out, you can set the 5.15.0-83 as Default Boot so that you do not need to enter grub each time you boot up nor do you need to apt mark-hold the kernel:

Unfortunately it happened again :'3 .

EDIT: It happens less often as it seems.

1 Like

It is still happening, but less often?

We can do the same as above, testing the 5.15.0-91, -92 kernels... It seems unlikely, though, that it would be present, fixed, then regress again right away.