Looks Like My WiFi Card Is Crashing

Been having problems for the past 2 weeks with my Asus WiFi card .... on Win 10 I have to use a Linksys WiFi dongle .... but my card worked OK on Zorin .... now my card doesn't work on Zorin half the time .... I logged in and posted this morning but now I can't get it to connect at all ....

I bought a dongle a while back that is supposed to work on Linux and M$ but it instructions for Linux just plan stink .... the install file is .... install.sh .... and I don't know how to install it .... found a couple of answers on the forum but very vague and no help .... so I for now am back on Windows .... until I can solve my problem ..... I'm on again off again but I will read your answers .... thanks

Should be

./install.sh

run in a terminal opened within the directory that the install.sh file is located. If you can link to where you got the driver file, we may be more help.
But on Nemo, I can Right Click in any open window and select "Open in terminal"
Do that in the directory where the install.sh file is. Then run the above.

2 Likes

OK let me back out of Win and open Zorin and install the app in my download folder and I'll get back to you on Win .... be right back ....

Are you able to use your Phone Hotspot on Zorin OS?

OK I'm back and this stupid WiFi card is working again on Zorin ..... anyway here is my adventure with the driver for the dongle ..... in pictures ....

Here is where I dragged the file over to the terminal and here is the results after the photo

Here is the terminal reading .....

#!/bin/bash

Auto install for 8192cu

September, 1 2010 v1.0.0, willisTang

Add make_drv to select chip type

Novembor, 21 2011 v1.1.0, Jeff Hung

################################################################################

echo "##################################################"
echo "Realtek Wi-Fi driver Auto installation script"
echo "Novembor, 21 2011 v1.1.0"

################################################################################

Decompress the driver source tal ball

cd driver
Drvfoulder=ls |grep .tar.gz
echo "Decompress the driver source tar ball:"
echo " "$Drvfoulder
tar zxvf $Drvfoulder

Drvfoulder=ls |grep -iv '.tar.gz'
echo "$Drvfoulder"
cd $Drvfoulder

If makd_drv exixt, execute it to select chip type

if [ -e ./make_drv ]; then
./make_drv
fi

make clean

echo "Authentication requested [root] for make clean:"
if [ "uname -r |grep fc" == " " ]; then
sudo su -c "make clean"; Error=$?
else
su -c "make clean"; Error=$?
fi

Compile the driver

echo "Authentication requested [root] for make driver:"
sudo su -c make; Error=$?
else
su -c make; Error=$?
fi

Check whether or not the driver compilation is done

module=ls |grep -i 'ko'
if [ "$Error" != 0 ];then
echo "Compile make driver error: $Error"
echo "Please check error Mesg"
exit
else
echo "Compile make driver ok!!"
fi

echo "Authentication requested [root] for install driver:"
sudo su -c "make install"
echo "Authentication requested [root] for remove driver:"
sudo su -c "modprobe -r ${module%.}"
echo "Authentication requested [root] for insert driver:"
sudo su -c "modprobe ${module%.
}"
else
echo "Authentication requested [root] for install driver:"
su -c "make install"
echo "Authentication requested [root] for remove driver:"
su -c "modprobe -r ${module%.}"
echo "Authentication requested [root] for insert driver:"
su -c "modprobe ${module%.
}"
fi
echo "The Setup Script is completed !"

Don't drag the file into terminal. It just opened it in Nano as a text editor.
Run the file in terminal.
Navigate to the directory shown in your Forth screenshot that contains the install.sh file in your Nemo FM
Then right click and select "Open in terminal"
In that terminal that opens, run

./install.sh

1 Like

I tried that and terminal doesn't appear and neither does it show in "Open with" .... that's why I copied it to the terminal ....

ok. We may need to set up your file manager to have that... It makes life easier.
If using Nemo on Zorin Core:

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec gnome-terminal

if Zorin Lite:

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec xfce4-terminal

In the meantime, copy the File Path here:
path

In terminal type in cd then one space, then use ctrl+shift+v shortcut to paste the path you copied.
Or type in cd then one space, then right click in the terminal and paste.

Then hit enter.
It should change directory to that directory.
Then run

./install.sh

I believe I am running Nemo .... at least it says I am .....

Here is what I get when I paste and hit enter .... too many arguments .....

Ok... let's try the gsettings commands and see if you can pull up the terminal in Nemo right click...
It looks the file name has spaces in it, creating White Space in the cd command.
You might try it with tilde, instead...

cd ~/Downloads/...

instead of

cd ~/home/mike/Downlaods/...

The ellipses represent that really long file name... You cannot replace all that with ellipses in the terminal command.

That didn't work either got the same reply .... also tried the gsettings command from up above and Nero still has no terminal .....

Let's take a break .... I have t eat lunch ..... thanks for your help so far .... we'll pick it up later .....

1 Like

I haven't forgotten about this problem believe me but the WiFi on Zorin keeps dropping out and I can't get it started again .... half the time .... I'm going to try to set up my Acer to run the the forum on there and leave the Asus on Zorin so we can communicate with out me having to shut down Win and go to Zorin and back again to try different solutions to me opening up that dongle driver .....

I also called the local repair center for my Asus and they are trying to tell me there is no WiFi card available for my 3 year old Asus .... which is a bunch of ■■■■ because I went to the Asus website and the card is a Intel 9560 NKW WiFi / Bluetooth PCI Express Mini .... and I could be wrong but I'm sure other companies are using the same card only the driver's are different ....

Anyway I'll get back to you as soon as I get something figured out ..... thanks for your patience .....

1 Like

Well it looks like I'm back in business .... for the last 2 days my WiFi hasn't dropped out on Win or Zorin .... waited till now to make sure it was working before saying anything ....

While doing research on the Asus website for WiFi cards I discovered that my drivers needed updating .... this unit was produced in 2019 and there was an update for all drivers in 2020 so I downloaded them and installed them .... and that seemed to have solve the problem ..... at least for now anyway ....

I would still like to get that Linux WiFi dongle working just in case but as my WiFi card serves as both WiFi and Bluetooth if it goes bad both may be effected where as the dongle is just for WiFi I believe ....

Anyway I will mark this problem solved for now and look at a solution to the dongle .... but maybe later ....

1 Like

Umm... a quick check and this driver is already installed in the Linux Kernel. That should work out of the box...

1 Like

Interesting .... guess my card must be failing then .... good thing I installed 16 Lite on my Acer as a back-up .... in fact I´m typing on it right now but still seems to be a problem with this Bluetooth keyboard .... but we´ll see how the WiFi works over here .... different computer different cards .... time will tell ....

Still got a lot of setting up to do to make Lite look like I want it .... lots of programs to install Like Nero and others ....

1 Like

Good, install them.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.