Microsoft Windows 11 vs Zorin OS

That is exactly what I felt while wading though candidate templates. I found some gorgeous looking templates with marginal performance - In fact, we had to redo the entire site after we realized what was slowing down the WordPress server.

This is one advantage of having WordPress server on a system with limited resources. Such flow will manifest itself in no time.

I quickly checked this on my test Win11 installation.
At this point, the dark mode has no effect on any applications including MS Edge. But as I said before, thing are changing a lot for each update. Dark mode Edge might come before too long.

I tested it, but not working at the moment.

That would be nice.
Seeing a white background of a browser in Dark mode is even more hurting my (ageing) eyes :nerd_face:

This comment of yours gave me some insight.

Due to my wrist problem, I stop using mice for years and relying on Apple Magic trackpad. I use multitouch on it and the movement is much closer to that of touch panel than a traditional mouse.

This might explain my quick adoption to the location of the start menu.

1 Like

In the old days... CairoDock did a lot of this. CairoDock was (and is) the most customizable panel or dock I have ever seen. With a GUI frontend, new users and experienced veterans alike can quite simply, do anything at all they want to customize the dock.
Plank, Docky also offer the centered design. It's not my style, personally... But I have used it and I can see the appeal.
But that also demonstrates the flaw:
CairoDock allows the user to choose what design works for them.
MS and Gnome believe they know best and try to force what they want on users for better control. As FrenchPress and tomscharbach covered above: Devs hate customization.

For small mobile devices, I would take it a bit further. The UI design is not what works. Rather, it is what they initially came up with to confront certain problems. Lack of Mouse, Lack of Keyboard, Lack of Large Monitor...
You would not want to mount your Monitor vertically and have sized 42 font, would you? What is necessary on your phone is poor on your desktop.
The wide aspect ratio of the monitor more closely duplicates the natural ratio of human field of vision; making it the most comfortable for viewing (actually, that ratio is closer to 1:4:9).
A mobile device is good for a preview or necessary scrolling on the go.
But a desktop is a WorkBench.

What "works" for mobile does not work for a workbench. While a certain uniformity may be desirable between devices to provide familiarity, it actually demonstrates the utter necessity of User Control and Customizability.

I am a very large believer in customizability: For some people, they must spend long hours in front of that workbench and they need the fullest control possible of its design, interface and even appearance.
If you are gonna have to stare at the thing a lot, You want it to be at least Enjoyable to do so. Not straining.
You must be able to organize your desk to allow efficient smooth workflow. The last thing you want or need is to have to find settings, hunt down tools, struggle to grapple with a simplistic mobile interface on a hardened productive WorkBench.
Gnome and MS are simply.... wrong.

1 Like

Your screenshots are seriously depressing Doom-Scrolling. :expressionless:

Ah, I now see it. Thanks for the explanation.
But some browser in Android could set to dark mode - I was thinking of Amazon Silk on my (modded) Fire tablet. Perhaps Android front is way more advanced than Windows/Linux front when it comes to dark mode for browsers.

Are you talking the missing triangle on top and bottom of the scroll bar?
If that what it is, it never bothers me.
I just use two-finger slides to scroll pages in browser - as if it were in a touch screen.

So Windows 11 stole Deepin's design and now Deepin stole the ability to run Android apps in a cool way (but I guess Deepin had it planned before Windows 11 was a thing)

Doom-Scrolling refers to scrolling through news articles and seeing Bad news after Bad News...

"stole" is not a politically correct expression now a days.
You should use the term "inspired by" :crazy_face:

1 Like

That is why my start page is always set to "blank" :stuck_out_tongue:

Now you made me feel so old :wink:
Yes, I remember those days. I let the rain and thunder falls on the icons I select. But it was not very light weight.
I eventually moved to Docky and Plank, and I never came back to Cairo.

I'd rather refrain from discussing politics on this forum but for me, Cairo's way seems be much democratic whereas MS and Gnome's way is in the verge of Totalitarianism.

What I'm saying is not just my opinion :smiley: I think that is objective fact that the start menu in the corner is faster and far easier to open.

Yes but touchpads and mice are basically the same thing. Same on screen controls. What I meant was touch interfaces like tablet/mobile screens... so that you directly hit it with your finger.
What I said is still applicable to touchpads. I believe that this is an objectively worse design.
While it is changeable... the issue is always the default option. Little Timmy or the old neighbor are not going to bother to change these settings. The majority of the users stick with the default option. And MS knows that... I don't think there is any foul play here but rather the MS designers are terrible at their jobs. They are pedaling something that they KNOW is worse and will hurt the users' productivity.

That's the key detail here. They know their design sucks so instead they want to shove it down everyone's throats and falsely claim it is better. For the lack of a better word, it is brainwashing the mass audience into using a worse product, while having the impression that it is better.

1 Like

I would say a trackpad is a somewhere in-between mouse and touch screen. It is not the same as mouse. Especially the trackpad with multitouch functions.

Interesting thing was that my husband was a Power Mac (single button mouse) user and he never got the idea of second mouse button. I gave him a Kensington trackball and he has been very happy with it. He is also using a completely faceless (no alphabet printed on it) orthogonal keyboard with BEPO (French version of Dvorak) input system.

I believe the input system, i.e., tactile sensation is a very personal experience. That is why it is important to give users a choice. Only a user can tell what is the best for him/her-self.

ajajaja, me tooI also say the same, nowadays everyone does that

1 Like

I love your Spanish accent :heart:

is this thread still going? sigh
Lets ditch GUI alltogether and embrace CLI worldwide.

/drops the microphone

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Temple OS vs Zorin OS; Temple Programming Examination

yes, i'm from hispanish, dominican Republick. :grin: :sweat_smile:

1 Like