Microsoft Windows 11 vs Zorin OS

This may be true... but there is always the windows key instead of mouse navigation, and keyboard navigation is much quicker. I use the win + x combo constantly rather than the start menu, which still seems uneededly cluttered. At least zorin opens to categories and is easy to find things.... cinnamon makes that even better, not needing too click on the category, just opens it on hover. Windows i never use the start menu... explorer, desktop shortcuts or win x.... anything else isn't worth the time.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right.
I completely forgot to mention about this "Win" key option.

1 Like

What about Haiku OS vs Zorin 16.

It is open source and actively developed, a big advantage over now discontinued Temple OS. I have been following it and testing it out (on VM) time to time.

2 Likes

Not wishing to be a spoil-sport or anything, but a reminder that subject of this thread is:
Microsoft Windows 11 vs Zorin OS

Maybe best to spin off a separate thread to discuss AnyOtherOS v ZorinOS ?

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I did not realize we are deviating so much from the original subject.

It would be great if you can split the thread.
Apart from Linux I also play around other OSs such as macOS, RiscOS and freeBSD. I would love to hear the experience of other people on this forum.

2 Likes

Looks like it has been split and new thread started here:

1 Like

Thank you!
I will check this new thread :slight_smile:

That was for Temple OS - a Haiku OS vs Zorin can also be started... if so - all these posts may be cleaner deleted rather than moved...

1 Like

I am happy to read about comparison between Temple OS and Zorin OS. We are already too busy helping other people here. I can save this Haiku OS question for the rainy day :wink:

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for this tip.
I've never thought of that.

BTW, here is a very interesting review on UI of Windows 11 at Register - my other favourite IT news site.

While I am not in any rush to use Win11 for any serious purpose at the moment, it is nevertheless still interesting to follow its evolution.

1 Like

I see it more as an opportunity to keep myself out of going to senile :wink:

1 Like

You would appreciate Register, especially if you like British sense of humour. I especially like BOFH (b a s t a r d operator from hell) series.

Ah, your husband might share the same opinion as mine :rofl:

Joke aside, I found this article just today:

Practicality aside, it is impressive to see Windows 11 running on mobile phone as well as on Raspberry Pi.

This just confirmed one more time that this hardware restriction by Win 11 is not absolute but more on the arbitrary side.

1 Like

https://www.quora.com/I-am-shifting-from-Windows-to-Linux-What-are-some-explanations-for-Linux-as-I-am-new-to-it-What-programs-work-on-Linux-What-doesn’t

1 Like

Linux vs Windows

Until now I haven't tried Windows 11.

Next version Zorin for me is a military camp trainining. So W10 ok W11 no ok W12 will be ok. Someone sayed Win is good after next 3 years when it comes or second version next 3 years.

The corner start button made sense when monitors were nearly square. Not so much today except on laptops. On my 27" monitors, I'd rather have it closer. Plus I always have a row of icons on the desktop I'd rather not cover up for aesthetic reasons. They also give the blank space on the left side of my taskbar a function by serving as a visual divider.

One nice thing is the "fling" feature for corner start buttons, which Zorin sorta has. You still have to click.

But I mainly hit the Activities key (which I switched to the right Windows key using Tweaks) and type the first two letters of whatever I'm looking for.

Dont bother, its a terrible os.

2 Likes

No need to compare the two. My PC cannot be upgraded to Win11.

1 Like