Most Customizable Desktop Enviroment?

Ok I have the video on Google Drive but how do I upload them here?

The same notice shows up again.

Customization is fun, but time-consuming. Then I suddenly come back to myself and return to a simple environment.

1 Like

Hey there!

Welcome to the awesome community here and hope you are enjoying Zorin OS as much as I am (and I think everyone else here too :stuck_out_tongue: )

Hope you don't mind my 5 cents, but as most are saying - completely personal preference. Zorin OS is a Linux distribution based on Ubuntu. It uses a GNOME 3 and XFCE 4 desktop environment by default and with several customization options. Each to their own - pro's and con's to each based on other users opinions here. :wink: Hope that helps making a more informed decision. :grinning:

3 Likes

Found this - will be worth the read to the above in some part. :grinning:

Difference of GNOME or XFCE

You just copy the link to the video and post the link here. I don't use Google but for YouTube or Rumble videos you just copy the address from the address bar of your browser and then paste that into your post here.

1 Like

That is interesting reading as KDE has less bloatware than Gnome. I'm in the process of leaving GNU/Linux for BSD (GhostBSD) if I can get some .deb applications I have purchased running on it. KDE has more Windows look-alike-ability than other GNU/Linux DE's. At the moment using MATE on GhostBSD 22.06.18. And you can add themes to MATE:

Sweet-Mars theme:

Do steam run on BSD?

I tried doing that but then it forces the viewer to login to their Google Drive account...

Is BSD a Linux Distro? What is the difference between BSD and Linux?

It would appear so (as I have said elsewhere, I don't use Computer for gaming apart from Battle for Wesnoth, Solitaire and Mahjongg - I prefer PS4 Pro for gaming):

The dealbreaker for me is I cannot print. I discovered that you can install Gutenprint. TS8000 series not present on Ghost BSD but Gutenprint supplies lots of drivers so installing Gutenprint on Zorin might be easier than having to download proprietary drivers. What I found disconcerting is that CUPS in future releases will no longer support Gutenprint. That to me is like a distribution not shipping with Synaptic Package Manager. Bad on you CUPS! However, having installed the printer driver, I cannot print at all from GhostBSD so I may have to experiment more with Venom Linux but need to disconnect the main drive before doing so.

1 Like

BSD is a Posix OS - GNU/Linux uses part of BSD. BSD is nothing like GNU/Linux. It uses pkgs/ports depending on what type of BSD you are using. You can install DE's. My first successful install of PC-BSD was version 8 but it is no more as the devs behind it are now concentrating on their NAS product as I have stated elesewhere. There are a few different flavours out there. I did a search for OS type in Virt Manager and discovered dragonfly BSD as an option so will also look into that.
https://www.dragonflybsd.org/

Is XFCE better than Gnome or KDE?

Well apparently xfce can work without Pulse Audio or systemd so has to be good. Recently learned that Mr Poettinger who wrote systemd and Pulse Audio is now working for ... Microsoft!

Better? It the eye of the beholder really. If you ask me I'll say Gnome is the best if you ask another person he/she will say something else. It's more what you are looking for.

3 Likes
2 Likes

As he said, each to their own preferences, resources, build of computer, type of distro, so on and so forth.

It can be either or neither. Look at Manjaro Linux - they have 3 different Main Distros, and in addition, community-built and maintained 'skinned' versions of the main versions. Just interesting. You won't find any Google answer that is going to convince you otherwise :joy:. Ask me - I have tried.

1 Like

The problem with manjaro and Arch on which it is based has systemd and others have parts of it, elogind. That is why I am hoping to pursue using Venom Linux; no systemd and no Pulse Audio. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 posts were split to a new topic: Partitioning drive for fresh install of the OS