My first step to be un-googled \o/

Yes. I have created a new E-mail at Protonmail.com and bought Mail plus so I can integrate it via a bridge to Geary. Now this will take time to change all my accounts across the web to my new e-mail, so it will be a slow process. Well it aren't my frist step, my first sttep to be un-googled was get rid of chrome and switch google drive out with Mega.
Funny to see an nearly empty mailbox :wink:

Also Protonmail have a cloud storage in beta which I'll be testing out.

4 Likes

It takes time, so take it in small step is my advise. I move a bit at the time.

1 Like

\o/

Just use the free version. You can set it to US dollars.

1 Like

Oh... is there a transfer fee for GBP to Euro?
In Denmark we still have Danish Crowner, but I paid in Euro which th epbank took 1,2 % for it.

What you found?

Nope I havn't. Going to check it out.

protonemail is ok but for security they can sharing your information.

I left google mail years ago and have several email accounts:

1. Proton
  2. Zoho (has been replaced with Vivaldi email)
  3. Yahoo (long standing email service and is my go to for "catch all")
  4. Outlook (only because I've had it for as long as Yahoo .... mostly dormant now)
  5. Tutanota (highest security emails)

They all are being used for various degrees of mail security .....

Storm ..... a great many email services have an automatic notification service that notifies all your correspondence of you change of email address .... after all it is to their benefit as well as yours and they are all the time jocking for new customers and taking them away from their competitors ....

Check it out Proton maybe one of them ..... I have Proton but don't use it to much ....

1 Like

Anyone can sign up for free to murena.io. The only downside to this is that some sites don't recognise email domains with more than three letters after the dot. You get a free @e.email address and 1 Gb of free cloud storage. I don't sync my email to my phone to cut down on storage in the cloud. I also have a protonmail account but try to restrict this for key financial accounts. I recently upgraded to 20 Gb cloud storage and I live in UK. Cost €20 for the year which worked out at just over £16. There are different storage plans and prices but 20 Gb is enough for my needs. I am able to view my @e.email in Evolution without any need for a bridge. I view my protonmail in TOR browser.

1 Like

So far I like it :slight_smile: .. Seems to work pretty well actually.

Murena recently had a pretty nasty data leak where users files where sent to other users... I really like the project and have been following from almost the start, but it seems to have gotten stuck and are making little to no progress.

Moral of the story: encrypt your files before uploading them to any cloud.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I don't use the cloud for sensitive data. I have several external drives for that. :wink:

What I have used it for is the unofficial Zorin 15 manual I created and training resources in preparing materials for low/no vision students.

1 Like

(In reply to the first post by storm)

I would recommend using a password manager that keeps track of every change you made to the each entry, enable it for protonmail or at least write it down on the notes section whenever you make a password change.

I manage to lose some data on protonmail over this since previous email are not recoverable when you forcefully change your password. Silly mistake on my part? Maybe, but I do use KeePassXC to handle all my passwords and tried each and every one on the history and still wasn't able to recover those emails.

Which is why I'm very wary of Protonmail as well. I still use them but make sure that anything sensitive is properly backed up elsewhere before making any changes to the password. I also like Tutanota quite a bit.

2 Likes

Just had a look at Wikipedia article and because it uses filters I will be sticking with mojeek and Brave as alternative. I use SearX and mojeek/Brave search engine on unGoogled smartphone.

1 Like

I very much recommend something else like KeePassXC since it's a desktop application (available in all sorts of formats) as well as browser extensions, whereas Dashlane recently discontinued their desktop app.

It's also free (as in beer) and open source which I don't think Dashlane is. That is a big no-go for me, considering I'm using it to store and entire set of passwords in there.

1 Like

Or keep a journal made for such items. Always offline!

https://www.amazon.com/password-journal/s?k=password+journal

2 Likes

Do you have link to data leak? Just searched and nothing came back.

This is the statement issued by Gael:

OK that was a migration problem. The only thing that affected me was corruption to the Zorin manual I created which was rectified. I can't see issues with murena as it is headed by the founder of Mandrake Linux and Ulteo.

Alleged data leak when there wasn't one, by that not a hack but a scripting error when moving to new platform. As stated in Gael's notice, less than 5% of users affected and only for 15 minutes. The migration took place in just over 1 day, pretty good when others on the e.community.forum mentioned other platforms taking over a week for successful migration.