Nautilus should be replaced with Nautilus-Typeahead

People coming from other linux distributions and even Windows may find it very odd that when you type a character in the filemanager to search for a file, it actually starts searching recursively instead of highlighting the file directly. There was a big opposition to this when Gnome decided to remove the typeahead functionality and make search as the only option.
I think this should not be the case with Zorin. The type-to-seek functionality is very useful and faster than Gnome's default search functionality.

Currently, there's this repository https://launchpad.net/~lubomir-brindza/+archive/ubuntu/nautilus-typeahead which contains the nautilus with latest patches but also the type-to-seek functionality. The best thing is, you can always choose to search the files the new Gnome way as well. It would be a fantastic addition to ZorinOS if the team decides to implement this.

Thank you!

4 Likes

This is a large part of why I use Nemo File Manager on Zorin OS. It restores that removed ( and useful) functionality.

3 Likes

But the thing is, we don't need to use another file manager when Nautilus itself can be used with the same feature :slight_smile: The repository I sent has been a huge help! Now nautilus works the same but with proper type-to-seek support.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubomir-brindza/nautilus-typeahead
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt full-upgrade
3 Likes

I just fixed a small typo in the title:

Nautlius -> Nautilus

[edit]
I forgot to apply my correction :sweat_smile:
It should be fixed now.

2 Likes

I love Nemo too! No better mascott for the Nemo file manager, then Nemo himself, he's such a cuty! :tropical_fish:

5 Likes

Nemo is a name of the captain for a ship called Nautilus.
So you know who is really in charge of everything :slight_smile:

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Vingt Mille Lieues sous les mers) was one of my childhood favourite readings. Lamentably, my French is still not good enough to read it in the original by Jules Verne....

2 Likes

I've read that too. Sadly I don't remember most of it and also I often mix up it's story with another one which are similar.

2 Likes

Here's something for you to read over the weekend.
Enjoy!

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2488/2488-h/2488-h.htm

1 Like

Reading an e-book is no exactly my thing but I will read it. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :open_book:

1 Like

I think what you've been mixing it up with is probably Moby(the forum won't let me use last name as its on a word filter). And I've seen the movie 20-thousand leagues under the sea, I've also seen a Moby(Again, stupid word filter which i hate so much on here) movie. And I also have seen Journey To The Center Of The Earth, with the guy from The Mummy, which was awesome.

You will appreciate it when you get my age.
You can expand the font size in ebooks but not on printed books
:eyeglasses:

1 Like

Thats if one can still read at that age. The older you get, the more your vision disapears. And if you had to already wear glasses back when you were a kid, well, there's no help for you when you really get old. lol OK ok, yes, there is the assessibility options like zoom magnifier, which I am already using at time, cause I can't see sheeeeet.

1 Like

I wonder why the zorin team decided to use nautilus instead of nemo.

I can only speculate that base Nautilus looks more like the Windows File Manager... ish?
Nemo could be customized to look a great deal like Windows, actually. It has a lot of settings.
Around this forum somewhere, I posted an image of my Nemo FM window customized to look as minimalist as Nautilus does.

Nemo comes closer to windows than nautilus.

2 Likes

The problem with Nemo is that it doesn't follow the Gnome style.

2 Likes

This is the opposite of a problem. the Gnome-style is terrible. Hiding your tools, your toolbars, the menus and everything from accessible view. It is ugly, outdated, minimalism. This is a computer and workstation NOT a mobile phone.

3 Likes

New users may like the (minimalist) style of Gnome. Nemo also doesn't look like it belongs in Gnome.

1 Like

See... that really is the Crux of the issue.

Refer up to where I said you can Mimic that minamlist look in Nemo. You have the option to.

The problem with Gnome is that it removes that option. It strips it out. Straight out of the code.
In so doing, if YOU like that minimal functionally useless look, fine... Except that those of us that don't get it forced upon us.

And that is the difference and that is the problem.

It is not about what it looks like. I am a themer. I can change the look all I want. It is how it works, how it Functions that is the issue. And Gnome removes that.

2 Likes

I think ZorinOS should stick with Nautilus, since this is GNU/Linuxthe user can just switch to whatever he/she wants.

edit: My spell checker keeps changing ZorinOS to Dominos. IDK why

1 Like